Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And yeah, Pappy I have no doubt there will be a tradeoff. Even with the V8 in the 100 the added weight and leverage is noticeable. I have no doubt, even with the regear, the little Pickup will feel the big tires. But I just have to do it... just gotta see it and play a bit with the 33s.
A friend of mine just bought a 2013 4Runner. I ran the metric tire size though a chart and it was equal to a 32" tire. My 33's keep rubbing on the fenders, and I have no desire to cut sheet metal. The 32's will work better with the 4.56 gears I have … though I love the 33" tire with 4.56. But, I concede 32's with the 4.56 will probably work better.

I’m running BFG MTs off Heep Rubicons on my 4Runner. They are almost free on CL. I paid $175 CDN for 5 of them with 80% tread. Mounted on my $150 Tundra wheels, I’m loving the combo for a low buck truck ($240 USD total for tires and wheels). My 100 is on 255/85-16 Coopers, but it weighs almost twice what the 4Runner does. I don’t notice any power loss over 31s with the 4.30 gears in my ‘Runner. My next set of tires on the 4Runner will probably happen after the 3.4 swap, so I’ll likely jump up to 285/70 or even 285/75-17s then. It all depends on what kind of deal I find.

D58D27D8-942F-4147-9169-8591C838C7D5.jpeg

Just doesn't get any cooler than vintage Toyota steelies! Now, what color for the powder... hmmm...

FullSizeRender.jpeg

White letters out on Trucks that should have had the white letters out when new!!!!
I’ll never forget reading Petersen’s off road magazine in high school 1992ish and seeing the bf Goodrich ko’s On a green 60’s Bronco. Laces out for me forever.

I'm with ya - if the truck had looked like the driver's side, I'd have swapped the wheels and bumpers, rebuilt the bed and already had a few thousand miles on her. But that passenger side - crushed rocker and door, comical attempt at bondo and paint... I'm pretty sure my neighbors would've signed a petition to have it banned from the neighborhood... and my wife would've been the one going door to door for signatures.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.43.50 AM.png

A big part of buying this one was my daughter's interest - she LOVES this thing. We've had fun picking out colors for carpet, which wheels, white letters in vs out... And, I want my wife and other daughter to be okay with being seen in it. ;)

Last edited:
Just doesn't get any cooler than vintage Toyota steelies! Now, what color for the powder... hmmm...

Have you been following Willvan’s thread on his ‘83 pick up? It’s the same color as yours (more or less) and he just went through the wheel color debate. There are a few pics of trucks in your color with various different wheel color options.

What color are you doing the flat deck? I’d lean towards black wheels, black deck, black baby... (apologies to Public Enemy). I’d definitely go with black or the OG Gray color like below, but I know you had plans for the white.
73653C9F-5A2F-45F1-AA1F-74B71E49B898.jpeg

Last edited:
I swear the color changes every time I see a pic of a good-looking Toyota. I have actually moved away from white.... this week, anyway.

If I powder coated them today, I think I'd go with the O.E. Creme - body matched. On subtle or muted colors, I love the body matched look - white, silver, etc. I think it'll work on this one. There's a ridiculously nice '83 out there with a slightly darker creme/tan - almost a butterscotch with the wheels done in the same color. It looks amazing. But the whole truck is so badass, it's hard to tell if the wheels contribute or not.

Yup, it’s a tough call. Personally I don’t like color matched wheels 99% of the time, but luckily it’s not my decision to make. I’d go white before I’d go body matched. Frankly, it’s going to look bada$$ no matter what route you take.

Any word on the local bed?

Thought about the gray - like in the pic of the 40 ^up there^. On red, blue, black... trucks, I really (!) like the gray. On tan, yellow, creme... not quite as much. But come on, if had a pristine mustard FJ40 sitting in the garage with gray steelies, I'm sure I'd think it was absolutely perfect!

I'm actually typing this at the shop - holding color samples... white, creme, gray

Your next tough decision will be whether to change your avatar to a Crème wheel with hubcap.

Your next tough decision will be whether to change your avatar to a Crème wheel with hubcap.

I'm envisioning a split shot - 100 / RN65 - avatar!

Last edited:
Any word on the local bed?
The guy pulled the bed and said "There are a couple spots on the bottom... not bad" I'm waiting on pics. He said he'd knock $100 off. Gotta see the pics to get a sense of the $$$ to fix said spots.

Damn @Prairie Swamp. That looks great. Yeah... gray on red works.

I just bought the bed - it’s headed to the bodyshop now. And this Saturday, we start on the flatbed... really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom