PHH attempt..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey sorry to hear @79F250 , all I can say is this truck is the easiest vehicle I’ve ever worked on, and it’s built my confidence to work on other cars. Forge through this because as long as you maintain this thing, it will take care of you. My dad and friends have Jeeps and they are way complicated to keep jobs. These trucks are designed for the worse places
Believe me, I will! I really like the vehicle. And so does my dog.

New update............

I'm pretty sure the head gasket is blown.

Well,....news update.........I'm pretty sure the head gasket is blown. After 10 minutes of idling, temp on the scanner says 208 degrees, exhaust starts getting cloudy (whitish gray) and reeks of either thermocure or really noxious exhaust fumes. Removed radiator cap and smelled coolant, smelled like exhaust at the tailpipe. I can do the work myself with the exception of the machine work. How much are we talking $$$ wise and time-wise??
Upside, you'll have a much easier time with the PHH job...

A little more update, made progress on getting the cylinder head out, but the weather has been very uncooperative. Either raining or 98 degrees with 90% humidity. One small victory, the exhaust manifold studs (not the downpipe ones) are coming out much easier than I thought. Entire stud is backing out. Been soaking the downpipe studs with Kroil for 4-5 days now. Might as well do the oil cooler while I'm in there. Mission creep!

Last edited:
A little more update, made progress on getting the cylinder head out, but the weather has been very uncooperative. Either raining or 98 degrees with 90% humidity. One small victory, the exhaust manifold studs (not the downpipe ones) are coming out much easier than I thought. Entire stud is backing out. Been soaking the downpipe studs with Kroil for 4-5 days now. Might as well do the oil cooler while I'm in there. Mission creep!

I'm at the other end of a head gasket job from where you're at. Do everything you can to fix/replace other parts while the head is off, life is much easier. Also good time to service your injectors.

I'm at the other end of a head gasket job from where you're at. Do everything you can to fix/replace other parts while the head is off, life is much easier. Also good time to service your injectors.
I will do that. I’ve been making a list of parts to order on Monday to do just that.

I have a new question for anyone who knows, since I'm going to have the cylinder head off, Is it possible to replace the rear heater hoses/pipes at that time? It would be nice to have it functional again. Or is dropping the transmission the only way to replace them?

IMO, the rear heater was either a marketing request for the North American market or just an after-thought. Not part of the original design. The fact is that a failure there while wheeling is catastrophic...and easily avoidable.
Personally, I delete it quite some time ago as many other members before me.
My two cents: what you perhaps might loose in convenience you’ll gain it in peace of mind.
Cheers!

IMO, the rear heater was either a marketing request for the North American market or just an after-thought. Not part of the original design. The fact is that a failure there while wheeling is catastrophic...and easily avoidable.
My two cents: what you perhaps might loose in convenience you’ll gain it in peace of mind.
Cheers!
Second opinion for deleting. I couldn't get it out without cutting with head and exhaust removed. Lots more room for activities.
20210717_163511.jpg

Cheers!
That's a good point.

I removed my rear heater from under the seat/blocked off the opening. Bypassed the hoses of course. Never used it nor felt I needed it.

New development, I now need a discontinued part, its the tube /clamp assembly for the transmission tubes that loop through the radiator support and connect to the transmission cooler. The part number listed on Amayama is 32906-60120. An alternate part number is 32906-60121. Does anyone have a used one?

Finally made some progress after the third rainiest July in the Albany NY region. Got one exhaust manifold off, is it normal to have three gaskets ??
IMG_3915.JPG

New development, I now need a discontinued part, its the tube /clamp assembly for the transmission tubes that loop through the radiator support and connect to the transmission cooler. The part number listed on Amayama is 32906-60120. An alternate part number is 32906-60121. Does anyone have a used one?

Try @slow95z or install an aftermarket heat sink cooler, like a Derale.

Update, pulled the head, sent to machine shop, they milled it .008. I know the FSM says that you should replace if beyond .0059. reconditioned the valves, new valve seals, set the clearances. Some people have indicated that the cam bearing/saddles will be out of whack. Is this really an issue?

Also, #1 cylinder was really clean, but #6 was all gunked up on top of the piston crown. I was getting #1 and #6 codes, so obviously the HG failed, but #6 was all dark and oily, so is oil leaking into cylinder a HG problem or a valve seal problem? I'm just trying to figure out failure points on the HG.

Typically a head gasket fails between the cooling jacket and the cylinder, which will steam clean the piston head.
But that's not exclusive.
I would assume that you are changing all the valve guide seals and resetting cam lobe clearances since you have the head off anyway.

Finally made some progress after the third rainiest July in the Albany NY region. Got one exhaust manifold off, is it normal to have three gaskets ??View attachment 2751787
Most exhaust gaskets I am familiar with are multi layer, its common for them to delaminate on removal, especially after a number of years in service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom