paul dinapoli - H55 swap thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still have my H55 and tcase with twin stick kit sitting in my shop that I bought from Georg back in 2010. Unfortunately I don't have any level spot outside and my shop's center beam is too low for me to jack my 62 up enough to get the trannies in and out. Thinking I'll just wait a little longer and take it to Valley Hybrids and have Georg and his guys do the swap for me. Plus they've got the experience to know exactly how to set up the sticks for the tcase in a 62 and bend them right, whereas for me it would be a guessing game.

Maybe if I can get some more money saved up I can have them do an FZJ80 rear axle swap too so I can have a locking diff and parking brake again....

I still have my H55 and tcase with twin stick kit sitting in my shop that I bought from Georg back in 2010. Unfortunately I don't have any level spot outside and my shop's center beam is too low for me to jack my 62 up enough to get the trannies in and out. Thinking I'll just wait a little longer and take it to Valley Hybrids and have Georg and his guys do the swap for me. Plus they've got the experience to know exactly how to set up the sticks for the tcase in a 62 and bend them right, whereas for me it would be a guessing game.

Maybe if I can get some more money saved up I can have them do an FZJ80 rear axle swap too so I can have a locking diff and parking brake again....

This is a very good plan. Georg will do a great job for you.

You could do the 80 series axle though yourself, now. I've done 2, so you know it isn't that tough. And the 80 gearing (4.10) matches the FJ62 gearing (4.11) close enough that you don't even need to change the ring and pinion. Then swap in a Harrop at your leisure and you're locked and loaded. Your proposed set up is exactly my FJ62 as of last week.

ED2E9783-DB40-4492-A62C-1F6D6707392D.jpeg
A3DA6F25-DC05-4A4F-BB03-4CC93B90BB5D.jpeg
88391A76-9701-4FD2-85E5-EF322568B634.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a very good plan. Georg will do a great job for you.

You could do the 80 series axle though yourself, now. I've done 2, so you know it isn't that tough. And the 80 gearing (4.10) matches the FJ62 gearing (4.11) close enough that you don't even need to change the ring and pinion. Then swap in a Harrop at your leisure and you're locked and loaded. Your proposed set up is exactly my FJ62 as of last week.

This is very true. Though if I were to find an axle at around the same time, it'd just be to support a Mud-friendly business.

This is very true. Though if I were to find an axle at around the same time, it'd just be to support a Mud-friendly business.

Yep-you should do that and Georg is good people.

since i couldn't find a rear main seal on a sunday (shocking - i know) i'm using the time to clean up all the electrical connectors.

IMG_8859.JPG

Don't forget to rewire the NSS.

yep - on the list for sure. i have someone's photos to reference + this:
upload_2018-4-15_18-22-27.png

what i don't know is which connectors are these?

I figure this is a few days out...so i'm trying not to worry about stuff to soon...kinda freaks me out if i let myself get spun up on all the stuff I realize I still don't know!

anyone have a photo they'd be willing to share for their t-case linkage solution? I kept the vacuum actuator ( guess thats pretty obvious in the photo)

so I think this is kinda what I'm after yes/no?
upload_2018-4-15_18-25-12.png

i'm not sure about the geometry. assume the shift lever up in the cab ends up relatively vertical?

yep - on the list for sure. i have someone's photos to reference + this:
View attachment 1678276

what i don't know is which connectors are these?

I figure this is a few days out...so i'm trying not to worry about stuff to soon...kinda freaks me out if i let myself get spun up on all the stuff I realize I still don't know!

Connect the B and N wire together for wiring around the NSS, which will be absent. Hook the RL to the reverse switch on the H55F.

Once you drive your 62 with this tranny you'll think you have a completely new Cruiser. 3FE + manual = :D:D:D

Connect the B and N wire together for wiring around the NSS, which will be absent. Hook the RL to the reverse switch on the H55F.

Once you drive your 62 with this tranny you'll think you have a completely new Cruiser. 3FE + manual = :D:D:D

ah - these connectors!! or more accurately - the connectors these would have mated on the other end.
upload_2018-4-15_18-32-54.png

maybe before i send my A440 to valhalla - do i cannibalize these to make it easy to jumper?

Your truck comes with a really slick rear mainseal install tool: the flywheel.
To use: Grease up inside of seal, put it in position on back of crank, start FW on back of crank, install 3 bolts, tightening down uniformly.
When the FW is all the way onto crank, remove FW, and hammer on (use a small scrap of wood to spread the impact & avoid dinging the crank flange) the RMS the last 1/16" forward 'til it's flush with the rear maincap.

Yes, cut the connectors & wire off the 440 to plug into the vehicle harness for the NSS and reverse light.

victory!!

2nd RMS installed clean.

started going down the road of pulling the pan. realized quickly i was going to do irreparable harm...buttoned back up for now - that’s either a job i’ll pay someone to do.... or something else i don’t know. maybe when i do OME kit i’ll have the axels out of the way.

oddly enough - some of my pan bolts were hand tight at best so hooefully i can just gently torque them with my torque wrench and lessen the drips. she only leaks a few drops overnight.

C2CDAFD2-D26E-4AAB-9A1B-10ADC5A87EAD.jpeg

does anybody know if need the flex plate spacers that came out with the flex plate and other automatic debris?

can’t find anything relevant in all the fsm’s i downloaded

ready to install BH and flywheel. hate to get that far and realize they are required.

does anybody know if need the flex plate spacers that came out with the flex plate and other automatic debris?

can’t find anything relevant in all the fsm’s i downloaded

ready to install BH and flywheel. hate to get that far and realize they are required.

No need for the flex plate spacer.

Looking good Paul....you're going to be very happy that you did this.

getting back to my proper H55 swap thread...transmission is stabbed in - time to start working on the cross member stuff.

question for the community for folks who have done this on an FJ62:

question is how high up i should pin the cross member in reference to the bottom of the frame rails? looking at early FJ60's crossmember kits which had the 3 separate pieces - it looks to me like the bottom of the L bracket hangs below the bottom of the frame rail...which to me would give the transmission/t-case a slight angle downward.

i got a later year 60 series crossmember from @3_puppies - so it's a single piece... If i bolt the crossmember to the bottom of the trans - and put a jack under it and jack it up - the top of the crossmember comes tight up against the bottom of the frame.
seems like based on all the pics I can find - that would be too high?

is there any concern about this height.

like this
DomSmith’s H55 build Thread… SBC Fj40

seems like it should hang down just a bit? hoping to nail this down this saturday.

IMG_8893.JPG

That's how the later crossmember is positioned, the front edge is against the bottom of the frame rail.

The 85-later crossmember has to be used with the 85-later BH, that has the '3F' cast on it.

major progress today.

clutch master/slave cylinder plumbing done...clutch works nicely. ended up buying a braided stainless flexible hose end to end.

wrapped up electrical connections - jumpered out the NSS - truck runs again!!
IMG_8906.mov

cleaned out all the tranny cooler lines and buttoned up the grill so her face is back to "normal"

took measurements for front and rear drive lines so I can get them dropped off at drive line shop monday.

fixed one of the O2 sensors that got yanked. all the conductors got pulled out of the yellow socket.

I pulled back wire loom on the non-molested O2 sensor and was only able to confirm the location for the blue wire and white wires. there's 4 total conductors...and 2 are black - totally indistinguishable...so i might have put them in right...or wrong. who knows? truck runs - but until i get her warmed up and under load - who knows if they're correct. might just take the bath and buy an O2 sensor.

have to finish cross member L brackets and t-case Lo gear linkage...and then she's back on the road. I started 2 weeks ago yesterday....and i'm very pleased so far.

bought new carpet kit from @dnp and am stoked to have a sunny weekend to gut the interior - clean everything and install the new carpet.

i'm also super stoked at having a manual transmission in my truck... i can't wait!!

I'm stoked too.

We should have a drag race in Weed.

But from experience, I know you're going to really like this swap.

Anyway, lot's of good work here. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom