paul dinapoli - H55 swap thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you pick up the H55, shifter, and oil cup from?

I am buying all this early next week.

Where did you pick up the H55, shifter, and oil cup from?

I am buying all this early next week.
shifter and oiler are readily available from toyota and various parts suppliers online.

transmission itself - i went through my local Cruiser guys - Willamette Blvd Service - they're a cruiser shop in the Portland Oregon area - and gave me a very nice price... they get it wholesale and pass through to me for a very nice price
33030-60450 -H55F

you could contact Georg at Valley Hybrids - Beno on here - or your local toyota dealer. you get a brand spankin new tranny.

shift lever:33530-60160
33530-60160 - Genuine Toyota LEVER ASSEMBLY, SHIFT

oiler: 33124-36010
33124-36010 - Toyota Parts Deal

Ah ok much appreciated. The part numbers will come in handy.
I have a connection at the Toyota dealer, didn’t know every dealer carried it readily. If not there i will be using a site vendor.

I just bought that clutch for my 87. Was thinking maybe I should have asked first since you are putting in a newer on as a conversion.

Will it work in my 87?

I just bought that clutch for my 87. Was thinking maybe I should have asked first since you are putting in a newer on as a conversion.

Will it work in my 87?

someone with more experience than me can confirm. but if you bought a clutch kit for an fj60. it should work

look at that spreadsheet link i sent you. there’s a single part # for an Aisin clutch kit off amazon

Edit: this was suppposed to be a reply to a PM - but doing this from iphone was kinda PITA

Even if your t-case is perfect...i’m learning the terminology. this whole split case lingo is clear in this picture
0A39E6E4-D466-4FAC-B561-49E2911F756F.jpeg

that seam down the middle of the t case

you’re opening the case and pulling all the gears just get access to the mount bolts that hold it to the back of the h55. You’re breaking the seals regardless. So even if your case doesn't need a rebuild you're buying a rebuild kit to button it all back together since the gaskets at a minimum have been molested.

so at that point why wouldn't you do the bearings and what not?
TK5 - Transfer Case Overhaul Kit TK5 - $249.00

Last edited:
Hmm now wondering if CKT-032 Aisin clutch will work in an 87? Anyone know?

EE265EAE-1680-4EB5-B48B-B4296DE05EBF.jpeg
Yes the CKT-032 will work with any year F, 2F,3F or 3FE engine as long as the stepped flywheel from a 2F is used.
We always install new OEM pressure plate bolts; they have a shallow 12mm hex head that strips easily and they’re only about $1.50 each.
The clutch release bearing hub is the same from 1975 until 1987.
We keep all the mechanical parts for this conversion in stock, including the new H55F transmissions.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

3:00 pm - automatic out!!

anyone out there able to tell me how we get the bolts off behind the flex plate?

or what the process is to remove that and torque converter?

There’s a little cover on the drivers side that comes off and you can access them one at a time (torque converter bolts). You have to rotate the engine each time. Easier with two people. That’s normally done before trans is pulled. FSM is a good guide.

Edit....the trans isn’t supporting the torque converter anymore so might want to keep a hand on it while pulling the last bolts, it’s heavier than it looks.

Last edited:
thanks a ton mweb!! saved me
some heartache.

using a rachet strap tied off to the rear flange and the rear axel - and slowly a few clicks at a time pull rearward while lowering.

IMG_8829.JPG

day 1 goal was get the auto out.

goal accomplished

IMG_8835.JPG

these autos are a freaking beast... what a chore that was getting out.

i know i might be jinxing myself for tomorrow...but it almost feels like putting the h55 in will be easy comparatively.

the only mishaps of the day - 1 broken zerk fitting, and i kinda effed up one of the 02 sensor connectors. all the pins pulled out of the housing...so i'll either have to figure out which wires go back into which holes - or just buy new 02 sensor.t

old rear main seal out in 5 minutes

however. ruined the first new seal going in. caught a lip of rubber that wouldn’t cooperate - pretty much ruined it getting it out.

first defeat!!

B7B87577-465E-45DA-919C-1F61203C3532.jpeg

saw several posts from other folks saying "when installing a rear main seal - buy 2"

yep - had i done that i could have continued progress today while I had the transmission jack rented and help available... but without a seal in the portland metro area...day is done.

:-(

Last edited:
so I'm cleaning parts and reorganizing the work bench for the next round.

IMG_8840.JPG

making sure bolts fit - pre-check everything since i have some downtime.

IMG_8844.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom