Builds Patch's Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welded up some 2” rear bumpstop spacers today. Recognize anything?

IMG_0594.jpeg

17A53E5B-AD86-4CD1-AD02-05C0A7556A2D.jpeg

657F69DF-5B77-4F5D-8709-87325B4A0331.jpeg

I see you are planning to increase the down travel but decrease the up travel. Any concerns with the reduced up travel?
I need to do the same. With my 35/12.5s, the tread has scrubbed some of the original undercoating from the rear passenger wheel well.

I see you are planning to increase the down travel but decrease the up travel. Any concerns with the reduced up travel?
My only concern is that I’ll be tempted to throw 37s on it 😂

I’m sacrificing about 2.5-3” of uptravel but gaining that plus some extra in downtravel (which for rock crawling is ideal).

Bigger tires require bumpstop spacers (uptravel arrest) anyway, so why not gain some travel that really helps on the trails? That’s my logic anyway

I need to do the same. With my 35/12.5s, the tread has scrubbed some of the original undercoating from the rear passenger wheel well.
Without any data to backup, my gut feeling is reduced up travel will cause the truck to lean more on off camber obstacles. Perhaps a body-lift would provide the additional clearance needed for larger tires without sacrificing the up travel?

Without any data to backup, my gut feeling is reduced up travel will cause the truck to lean more on off camber obstacles. Perhaps a body-lift would provide the additional clearance needed for larger tires without sacrificing the up travel?
The point is to gain downtravel, not clear tires in my case.

This isn’t a new concept. Im stealing a lot of this from other 100 builds out there

This isn’t a new concept. Im stealing a lot of this from other 100 builds out there
You getting the longer 80 L shocks or other longer shocks for the rear to gain that downtravel?

That sounds about right.

Then I wonder what the net effect would be between decreasing uptravel with stops, or increasing COG with body lift. :meh:

You getting the longer 80 L shocks or other longer shocks for the rear to gain that downtravel?
I thought I mentioned that- probably put that somewhere else. I'm running Ironman's 80 Series shocks for a 4" lift: 45682LFE

Also running AHC spacers from Japan 4x4

IMG_0595.jpeg

Exactly. To run the shock extensions you have to have longer bumpstops, or else you would destroy the shocks by driving them beyond full compression. A body lift won’t help with that.

Also should mention that I'm switching from Ironman's 100 Series heavy springs to OME 2863J. I'll report back with final ride height numbers etc.
It’s 863J Patch. Act like you’ve been here before man 🤣

I thought I mentioned that- probably put that somewhere else. I'm running Ironman's 80 Series shocks for a 4" lift: 45682LFE

Also running AHC spacers from Japan 4x4

View attachment 3591799
Hey Patch whats the purpose of running the AHC spacer with the 80 series shock? I just ordered some 80 series rear shocks do I need the spacers to take full advantage?

Hey Patch whats the purpose of running the AHC spacer with the 80 series shock? I just ordered some 80 series rear shocks do I need the spacers to take full advantage?
The 80 series rear shocks are longer and will give you immediate results for more downtravel.

I added the AHC spacers in the rear which accomplish the same thing as doing a “shock mount chop” where you take out about 2” of your shock mounts, then re-weld them back in place. The AHC spacer is the bolt-on version of that mod.

Relocating the shock mount (pushing the ram up in its stroke at ride height) means you’ll need to run bumpstop spacers of the same length so you don’t destroy your shocks. The distance you’ve relocated the shock mount becomes the distance of additional downtravel you’ll have- so with these AHC spacers I saw about 2” of additional downtravel plus the additional downtravel of the 80 series shocks

The 80 series rear shocks are longer and will give you immediate results for more downtravel.

I added the AHC spacers in the rear which accomplish the same thing as doing a “shock mount chop” where you take out about 2” of your shock mounts, then re-weld them back in place. The AHC spacer is the bolt-on version of that mod.

Relocating the shock mount (pushing the ram up in its stroke at ride height) means you’ll need to run bumpstop spacers of the same length so you don’t destroy your shocks. The distance you’ve relocated the shock mount becomes the distance of additional downtravel you’ll have- so with these AHC spacers I saw about 2” of additional downtravel plus the additional downtravel of the 80 series shocks
AHC Spacers keep you from having to do this:
img_5788-jpeg.3599374

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_5788.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom