Parking brake handle ‘pin’ removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S4Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Attempting to dissemble the parking brake handle for my ‘67. On the rear section of the handle where the spring is, there is a ‘pin’ that is driven through the handle shaft. I want to remove it to blast and paint.

I can’t figure out which way to drive the pin. It’s in there solid and I don’t want to hit it too hard the wrong way.

E74271BE-9A6E-45EA-8016-C454193988EC.jpeg

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you're trying to remove the handle try pulling that pin another inch towards the firewall.

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you're trying to remove the handle try pulling that pin another inch towards the firewall.

I’ve got the entire assembly removed and disassembled aside from the end piece on the handle and the dash bracket which the handled slides forward and backwards in.

I’d like to be able to remove this end piece so I can blast and paint the pieces seperate.

Edit - the pic above is just an example of the pin that I’m referring to.

I gotcha!

I don't have any experience with pulling that pin, unfortunately I'm not much help now!

I’ve got the entire assembly removed and disassembled aside from the end piece on the handle and the dash bracket which the handled slides forward and backwards in.

I’d like to be able to remove this end piece so I can blast and paint the pieces seperate.

Good luck. We are trying to figure out the same thing. Granted, I haven’t gotten the BFH out yet

View attachment 1882843

I’ve tried a foot of gravity and a 3lb mini sledge onto a brass drift...no movement. Instead of risking mushrooming the pin I decided to keep soaking in Kroil overnight and then maybe hit it with the propane torch in the morning.

My guess is to drive the pin in from the side with the slot cut into it?

I just dug deep and remembered that @SSCR had restored his parking brake lever.

Another 77 FJ40 resto

For those that missed this build, it is worth the read.

He made it sound so easy...’tapped the pin out’. I’ve not been so lucky, yet!

@S4Cruiser

I eventually drilled the pin out. I did not try heat first, but I did use Kroil.

The replacement pin has a tapered end, opposite the grooved end. Still available from Toyota for about $3.40 list
View attachment 1882890

Nice! I’ll order one for ‘just in case’.

So you drove it it with the tapered end first, odviously? If so the I should drive it out opposite?

New pin and new spring:
park brake.jpg
I drilled out the 'tapered' end about 3/4 of the way before knocking the last of it out with a punch.

Make sure you take lots of pictures of the orientation of things so it doesn't go back together the wrong way! I took the pictures, but still took some time to make sure I was doing it right..

It looks like that spring that wraps around the shaft and grabs that pin is still available as well:
Spring Torsion - Toyota (90508-14039) about $6 list

While your at it, the little spring that tensions the pawl against the notches on the shaft:
Spring Torsion - Toyota (90508-08041) less than $2 list

Last edited:
I drilled out the 'tapered' end about 3/4 of the way before knocking the last of it out with a punch.

Make sure you take lots of pictures of the orientation of things so it doesn't go back together the wrong way! I took the pictures, but still took some time to make sure I was doing it right..

It looks like that spring that wraps around the shaft and grabs that pin is still available as well:
Spring Torsion - Toyota (90508-14039) about $6 list

While your at it, the little spring that tensions the pawl against the notches on the shaft:
Spring Torsion - Toyota (90508-08041) less than $2 list.

Done, added! Thanks...I just love being able to order all this old stuff still!

I'm surprised at what's available, other than the fact that some of these things are sitting in the warehouse since no one knows they're available, or no one bothers to take this thing apart to clean it up!

@S4Cruiser @Jdc1

I noticed this morning that you're working on a 67 model year. The catalog number I referred to has the part number for the pin as being for every FJ4X, FJ55, and BJ40, as shown below, for every application the catalog is good for.

I can't imagine it is different for 1967, but "forewarned is forearmed".
upload_2019-1-19_10-2-12.png

Same for the plunger spring:
upload_2019-1-19_10-3-0.png

Same for the pawl spring:
upload_2019-1-19_10-4-30.png

@S4Cruiser @Jdc1

I noticed this morning that you're working on a 67 model year. The catalog number I referred to has the part number for the pin as being for every FJ4X, FJ55, and BJ40, as shown below, for every application the catalog is good for.

I can't imagine it is different for 1967, but "forewarned is forearmed".
View attachment 1883183

Same for the plunger spring:
View attachment 1883185

Same for the pawl spring:
View attachment 1883188

Thanks for the heads up. I already ordered and am close to 100% it’s the same. I’ve got a few (zero clue how I acquired them) pull handles from different years (based on the handle material) and they all appear the same.

I hit this damn pin every which way even after heating and it did not want to budge. Doesn’t help that it’s tough to hold (even with clamps/vise) to beat on...

Not getting anywhere with the above and now knowing and then ordering a new pin I decided to tackle the same way as @73FJ40 - drill it out. The damn thing fought to the end and was only a sliver of metal left before it wanted to release...done.

Perturbed but not defeated!
First through hole...got lucky and drilled ‘straight’ through.
5E89C95B-8480-4E06-8D18-1D4ADCDBFA4C.jpeg

00A5D894-E6E7-4743-8AD5-7273101E5453.jpeg

I did the same to my parking break and had it blasted and powder coated . Once reinstalled and used the powder coating is scraped off leaving exposed metal. I've now coated mine with grease to prevent rusting but just a just a heads up that it might not stay perfect for long .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom