Builds Parked 13 Years Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have a 1989 Black Comanche. Is it dead stock, faded paint, Eliminator package?
I don't know Jeeps enough to tell if it is Eliminator package but I see it on my way to work at the Toyota plant off Applewhite/Lone Star Pass roads and it does look stock.

Probably not mine then. I work at Southwest (Culebra and 410) and live off Culebra so the truck is rarely off that road. I know there is a guy with a white one who works at a motor shop near there.

Southside San Antonio is a goldmine of old, high milage cars that you rarely see. I even see old, beat up 80 series even from time to time.

I think a lot of them come off high milage used car lots on the Southside and people don't really know what they are driving as long it is cheap and it runs. When it dies then it ends up at pick-n-pull or a backyard. :)

Welcome!
If you search "barnfind" you will find a thread by @bburton who did basically what you are doing last year.. tank and all. You will like the cruiser, get an idea of what is rusted and isn't and hit some pull/aparts, pick and pulls, uwrenchits etc places and harvest nuts and bolts to replace what might be rusty for cheap. there are several threads on where to get cheap OEM Parts if you are going to stick with OEM.

I keep my eyes open for Comanche's as i have always thought they were cool trucks. Was looking for one recently after i sold my taco, but ended up finding a first gen toyota pickup 79 that is going to scratch that itch.

I have a coworker who has a 200 series land cruiser, he and i Went to lunch a few weeks back and he road in my 80... he was so impressed by the ride that he is now looking for an 80. You can make them as nice or sparse as you like. You'll likely enjoy it if you keep it and make it the way you want.

I’m curious what the “eliminator package” consists of.
Not much... It was the "sporty" package. Bucket seats, graphics, center console, carpet, rear sliding window, a rear bumper, AM/FM cassette, special wheels, short bed and crank windows/manual locks. Before 1990 they were all 2WD with smaller stock tires. However, many consider it the most desirable trim for 1990-1992 and the Chief trim being more desirable before that. 1991 and 1992 are the really desirable ones as they had Chrysler FI instead of Renault/Bendix.

The 80s and 90s domestic automobile "trim" package stuff was a mess...

As far as the land cruiser it is super cool. I am excited to get it on the road but I am taking my sweet time and not taking short cuts as it is a more valuable vehicle than the XJs and MJs I usually mess around with. With that being said, anything with an I6 kicks the pants off most vehicles...

I’m digging this thread. The Comanches were cool trucks, but they’re like most Jeeps until the Rubicon.

Almost, but not quite there. The CJ-7 and CJ-8 were pretty awesome vehicles, especially if it had the Dana 300. Then there was a gap until the Rubicon.

Dropped the tank off. Dude takes one look at it and says "Yeah that is going to be more than what I quoted over the phone. Even then no guarantee of anything. Come back in a week."

So we shall see =P That tank was by far the worst I have ever seen and I have probably dropped 20 or so tanks in my life. Good news is it didn't look terribly rusty.

Bad news is as I was rounding the corner to my house the brake booster went out on the black truck... I have a spare but that truck is the next in the fleet to get sold... So if anyone is interested =P

Also to get this thread back on track. Not perfect but cool none-the-less. Also this IS the dual E-locker model.

20210113_133820_LI.jpg

That was a good find then. $48,000 new seems like a bargin now.

Since I am local. Put me in line first if you decide to sell the 80 series. I know you are not selling it at this time but you did mention it in the first post that you were unsure of keeping it.

I may take on another project but I am more of a 70 series guy overall.

Also to get this thread back on track. Not perfect but cool none-the-less. Also this IS the dual E-locker model.

View attachment 2552287
Hopefully the tank you dropped off doesn't already have the typical crack on top where the rubber on top presses against the tank and it cycles from pressure/vacuum.

Look up "cracked gas tank" and you should find a couple detailed threads with pics where to look. I'd help with a link but I suck at that on my phone.

How many miles are on it?

Known issues on these are:
Oil leaks (easily fixed)
Head gasket once, usually between 135k and 250k.
Cracked gas tank
Sunroof leaks
Power seats stop working
Slow windows
Not enough HP
Poor gas mileage 10-15

Everything you will be doing has been done by someone on here.

Known issues on these are:
Oil leaks (easily fixed)
Head gasket once, usually between 135k and 250k.
Cracked gas tank
Sunroof leaks
Power seats stop working
Slow windows
Not enough HP
Poor gas mileage 10-15

Everything you will be doing has been done by someone on here.

Hopefully I don't have tank leak but we shall see.

Of the above:
-There is some evidence of maybe a valve cover gasket leak
-I plan to perform a cold compression check before firing the engine. This may or may not tell me if a head gasket is bad. Oil looks fine.
-No idea if the sunroof leaks but there is no sign of mildew in the car which I would expect if it does leak.
-Power seats work, drivers leather is... Not great.
-Windows work but they are slow.
-Its an I6 torque monster... BUT it only makes 215hp in a 4k lb+ rig so I am not that surprised. Another + for 91-92 Comanches is 190HP on 3k lbs =P
-Yeah the rated fuel economy is... Abysmal...

Vehicle is reading 204k miles which may be accurate? Last entry in Carfax is 106k miles in 2000 (Last Carfax Registration was 2006).

Also this is a one-owner vehicle with no reported accidents.

Be careful with the valve cover bolts. I think the torque spec on then is very low and will snap when pushed. They also have a tendency to back out to finger loose and leak so put a small 1/4 ratchet on them and see if they just need to tightened down a bit. Not a terrible job if it needs replacing. Do the sparkplug tube seals and PCV grommet at the same time if you do pull the valve cover.

Do a cooling system pressure test as well. That may be telltale about HG before a cold wet compression test.

I'm guessing you don't know why it was there for service, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing as you move forward.

Congrats on the find!

I'd be curious what then VIN is on yours as well as the build date.

Mine is also a 96 build date of 8/95, black and also has the chrome package (door handles and mirrors).

At one time I thought it was one year only and rare, but apparently it's 95 and 96, black only, and no one wants the chrome anyway. I happen to like it! I just wish mine was triple locked like yours apparently is.

Do a cooling system pressure test as well. That may be telltale about HG before a cold wet compression test.

I'm guessing you don't know why it was there for service, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing as you move forward.

Congrats on the find!

I'd be curious what then VIN is on yours as well as the build date.

Mine is also a 96 build date of 8/95, black and also has the chrome package (door handles and mirrors).

At one time I thought it was one year only and rare, but apparently it's 95 and 96, black only, and no one wants the chrome anyway. I happen to like it! I just wish mine was triple locked like yours apparently is.

This is a very early 1996. IIRC it is also an 08/95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom