Builds Parked 13 Years Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 2 weeks ago I was out buying parts for my 1991 Comanche and in the yard near the Jeep being parted out was a 1996 Land Cruiser. Guy asked me if I knew anything about them and said his boss wanted it off the property as it was taking up space. Apparently, someone had brought it in looking to get some work done to it and ended up passing away before the work was performed.

Well the truck sat under a tree for (as I was told) at least 6 years but it was last registered in 2008 so who knows how long it sat. I called the owner the next day, we agreed on a price, I rented a U-Haul and brought it home.

Obviously everything made of rubber is disintegrated, battery was flat, and all number of other problems... Got it home, spent two days with a foam cannon and microfibers getting the sap and mildew off of the body. Pulled the fuel pump to replace it and realized the fuel was so bad that I pulled the tank to clean that out and that is where I am today. This is going to basically just be a revival thread as I am not sure if I plan to keep it or not (still have to put the Comanche back together after paint).

20210109_170652_LI.jpg

20210109_170700.jpg

And some representative photos of where I am with the tank and fuel pump. Need to buy a new sender but the rest of it cleaned up okay. Going to get the rest of the varnish off that tomorrow and replace the pump in the unit. Going to contact a few shops to get a quote on cleaning the tank as I really don't want to do that =P

20210112_192813.jpg

20210112_192828.jpg

20210112_192848.jpg

20210112_192902.jpg

The Comanche’s days may be numbered!
Pshh... Every time I sell off all of my 4.0L Jeeps I breathe a sigh of relief. Then another one ends up in the driveway... I think I am just going to make that one nice so I don't go buying more... Again.

I have to admit, the Land Cruiser is built like a brick * house compared to the Comanche/XJ Cherokee. Beefier axles, actual frame, better interior, no stupid slip yokes... But the Jeeps are cheaper, the 4.0 is arguably as good as the 1FZ, fuel economy is better, and the vehicles are lighter. Plus who doesn't love truck beds? =P

if your cleaning the tank it may be worth your while to replace the fill neck on the tank and gasket. also order all the bolts as they can get pretty crusted up and break

if your cleaning the tank it may be worth your while to replace the fill neck on the tank and gasket. also order all the bolts as they can get pretty crusted up and break
That is the plan. Need to order the filler hose, vent hose, sender, and gasket. Should I try my local dealer or does anyone have a recommendation for an online dealer?

I suggest you put some oil down the cylinders before first start. Some people just use normal engine oil, some do wd40, some do marvel mystery and whatever. Doesn’t really matter so much what you use in my opinion.

Once you got some oil down it, turn it over by hand a number of times.

Doing this could save your piston rings. If any rust has formed from sitting on the piston walls, just firing it right up could damage your rings.

Cheers

I suggest you put some oil down the cylinders before first start. Some people just use normal engine oil, some do wd40, some do marvel mystery and whatever. Doesn’t really matter so much what you use in my opinion.

Once you got some oil down it, turn it over by hand a number of times.

Doing this could save your piston rings. If any rust has formed from sitting on the piston walls, just firing it right up could damage your rings.

Cheers

One step ahead of you. I did manually turn it over before I bought it to make sure it wasn't locked up. However, I started to pull the intake off to get the spark plug boot cover thing off but got sidetracked when I realized I couldnt hear the fuel pump turning on when I was checking to see if the windows worked. ADHD is a hell of a drug.

In any case I did already clear the mud dobers from the intake, and checked the oil level. After looking at this fuel I am glad I didn't try and shoot that through the injectors either...

Nice save.

I have a used tank sending unit/pump assembly as well if you interested in NC. You also have another Jason close by with CruiserYard for used parts as well. Happy building.

PM'd

Also contacted the dealer today to see what their prices are with the discount I get where I work. Still expect them to be outrageous but worth a check at least.

I will almost certainly be hitting up CruiserYard for some bits and pieces. Right now I have a damaged passenger running board, whatever secures the battery, engine bay fuse cover, airbox wingnut, and no 3rd row (brackets are there seats are missing).

This sounds like my experience; '96, Emerald Green, parked under a carport since 2009, 143k. Fortunately the 2nd owner (the one who parked it) stored it on blocks, drained the tank and removed the battery. The tires still held air. The reason he bought it and subsequently parked it was a serious rod knock. I changed the plugs, put in a new battery and 2 gallons of fuel and it started. I've had a shop here in Ft Worth doing the build and should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks, a year long process starting with an LS swap and a complete rebuild of drive train and suspension and off-road goodies. Still needs cosmetic restoration, mainly on the outside. I've been able to dress up the inside a little with ne carpet and seat covers.

Depending on what your overall plan is, your build will be interesting to follow. Good luck.

PM'd

Also contacted the dealer today to see what their prices are with the discount I get where I work. Still expect them to be outrageous but worth a check at least.

I will almost certainly be hitting up CruiserYard for some bits and pieces. Right now I have a damaged passenger running board, whatever secures the battery, engine bay fuse cover, airbox wingnut, and no 3rd row (brackets are there seats are missing).
You can check in the classifieds for part out rigs, slow 93 & Death Valley Paul are two members parting out Rigs on a regular basis

Found a shop near work that will clean the tank for $95. Crossing my fingers that when I get down there sometime today they will still take it =P

I rarely see Jeep Comanches in San Antonio. Just a black one on my way to work sometimes.

Anyways, reach out to @CaptClose He is local and knows his way around 80 series and also a cool dude overall.

Also reach out to @CenTXFJ60 He is a bit further out of San Antonio in Canyon Lake area but also a cool dude.

I rarely see Jeep Comanches in San Antonio. Just a black one on my way to work sometimes.

Anyways, reach out to @CaptClose He is local and knows his way around 80 series and also a cool dude overall.

Also reach out to @CenTXFJ60 He is a bit further out of San Antonio in Canyon Lake area but also a cool dude.
I also have a 1989 Black Comanche. Is it dead stock, faded paint, Eliminator package?

Can also be identified by the plumes of smoke coming from underneath it... Rear main seal is gone and it leaks motor oil onto the exhaust =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom