Builds Pappy's 3RZ-FE Transplant Adventure (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a guy on pirate 4x4 selling some 3Rz conversion parts. I don't know if it will help or not but here's the link.

Dang, I just ordered a bellhousing because Marlin was still jerking me around. At least it was only $15 more than the guy is selling his for. I might contact him about the harness. It's going to depend on which of the three 3RZ versions the harness is for. The rest of the stuff I'm good on.

Ummm, what could this mean?

20191226_132552-sm.jpg

Is it cheating if I already know the answer?!?

Is it cheating if I already know the answer?!?

There are at least 3 people that know the answer. I'm not sure how I feel about it leaving in a Chevy, though.

There are at least 3 people that know the answer. I'm not sure how I feel about it leaving in a Chevy, though.

Robbie's driving a Chevy now? Of course, when he came to stay at my house to work on HDC Cruisers (many years ago), he was driving a Saab back and forth to Colorado. He still knows his way around Toyotas, I'm sure.

While doing the White Rim with Ali and Vince we were discussing what's next for this engine. My cylinder head was rebuilt by Knighton and I was going to have them rebuild the block, and finish the assembly myself. Well, they are no longer in business.

In discussion, Vince suggested Robbie. I'm going to guess that most folks in the club don't know him. Robbie is an extraordinary Land Cruiser mechanic. Actually, the best 1FZ-FE mechanic. He used to be a New Mexico boy, that made several professional moves that put him, ultimately, in Boulder with his own shop. I can honestly say he knows the 80-series LC better than anybody on the planet. Don't take my word for it,

You had the Dr. House of Land Cruiserdom fix your ride. It doesn't get any better than that.

Robbie has forgotten more about the 1FZ than probably any other mechanic/technicion in the US knows... It is a safe bet that he has serviced/repaired/overhauled more of them than the next 20 or so combined. In addition he is a gentleman and a damn fine friend.

There is only ONE person I would "sublet" ANY work on my 80 to and that is Robbie....

This is coming from the Parts Shaman himself, also a misplaced New Mexican. So when Vince suggested Robbie, I had one of those V8 juice moments. Problem is, Robbie is in Colorado, and the 3RZ-FE would be a new beast to him. But, except for the balance shafts, the 3RZ is just a 1FZ with a couple missing cylinders. So I gave him a call. Bottom line, Robbie was in NM for the holiday, and offered to haul the engine home. I could not pass that up.

Robbie was given everything except the manifolds and the accessories. He is going to machine the cylinders 1mm over, balance the rotating assembly, install the head, adjust the valves, and using my gasket and timing kits put the long block back together. Now I just need to get my butt in gear, get over the pre-sellers remorse, and sell the FJ40.

The good news is there are now three misplaced New Mexicans that are talking about retiring back to the Land of Enchantment.

In discussion, Vince suggested Robbie. I'm going to guess that most folks in the club don't know him. Robbie is an extraordinary Land Cruiser mechanic.

Pft...The only person I’d allow to blind fold me while he tip-toed me through an obstacle! I keep meaning to work on a “Trunk-Robbie” for those times of high anxiety on the trails...:hmm:

Bet it’s been 7 years since the last encounter...so I see your point Pappy.

In discussion, Vince suggested Robbie. I'm going to guess that most folks in the club don't know him. Robbie is an extraordinary Land Cruiser mechanic. Actually, the best 1FZ-FE mechanic. He used to be a New Mexico boy, that made several professional moves that put him, ultimately, in Boulder with his own shop. I can honestly say he knows the 80-series LC better than anybody on the planet. Don't take my word for it,
This is good to know. I have family in Boulder that I visit a couple of times a year. What is the name of his shop?

This is good to know. I have family in Boulder that I visit a couple of times a year. What is the name of his shop?
Adventure Offroad. No website that I can find.

Robbie loves hot springs, like me :rofl:

A mini-update. Sending the engine to Robbie has me motivated.

Exhaust Manifold. The cast iron manifold used on the 3RZ is prone to cracking. Mine was no exception. Cool thing is, Toyota came out with a replacement in 2000 that is a mini-header. I received it yesterday. Chris (@liveoak ) mentioned in his write-up that the manifold and down pipe are close to the firewall, and can melt the carpet. He used adhesive heat mat. I will too. But, I will take it a step further. The manifold and heat shield are on their way to Tempe to get ceramic coated. Yes, I'm aware there is a company in ABQ that does ceramic coating. But they wanted $450. The company in Tempe is doing the work for $150, plus the ride both ways.

Exhaust Down Pipe. I took the down pipe in today to Absolute Powder Coating to get sand blasted. When they are done I will take it to Jim's 66 Muffler and have a flange welded to the bottom end. From there, I will send it off for ceramic coating to reduce the heat to the firewall.

Fuel Delivery. Everything on the 3RZ is backwards from the 22RE. Exhaust, fuel delivery/return/evap, intake manifold/air box, battery, starter. Everything. Solutions to resolve the fuel delivery are all over the place. One thing I liked about the 2FE project was figuring things out. Instead of just doing what everybody else did, I came up with other solutions. Well, this is one of them. Right now, I ain't tellin' what that solution is, but I think it's pretty slick. I'm thinking of doing the patient, trademark, copyright thing on this solution. I've spent a few mornings at the boneyard looking for solutions. I have what I need.

Bellhousing. Ya, I bought the 2TR bellhousing awhile back. But, the rear plate on the back of the 3RZ for the W-series bellhousing is different than the 2TR's R-series bellhousing. So, that came in today. Little stuff that matters.

AC. Good gawd. How many permutations for AC hose fittings can Toyota use? I've seen 3 different choices. This has been the most frustrating part of the transplant so far. The service connectors on early 22RE are on the AC compressor manifold. But, that manifold won't bolt to the 3RZ compressor. That meant I wouldn't have the service fittings to charge the AC. So after multiple visits to the boneyard over the last year, I think I have a solution. The line and hose off the evaporator (firewall) on 1989 4Runners have the service connectors I needed and the necessary fittings to attach to the 1985 evaporator/firewall. I have a compressor manifold from a 1996 Tacoma, and the necessary hose fittings to attached to it. So, when I'm ready, I will take the assorted hoses I have to Action Hose and have them make me a pair of hybrid hoses so I can connect the new compressor up to the old existing condenser, and evaporator.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are making some good progress!

Dinkin' with the AC again today.

What I have … the manifolds on top of the compressor with the service ports. Also note that the connections are nuts.

20200108_142416-sm.jpg

Current connections at the firewall without service ports.

20200108_142433-sm.jpg

What I need … connections at the firewall with service ports. Hose and line provided by the 1989 4Runner.

20200108_143414-sm.jpg

The new manifold with fittings that work.

20200108_143430-sm.jpg

Now I need to get the hybrid hoses made. But, I will wait until the engine is installed so I don't mess up the lengths.

Last edited:
Fuel Delivery. Everything on the 3RZ is backwards from the 22RE. Exhaust, fuel delivery/return/evap, intake manifold/air box, battery, starter. Everything. Solutions to resolve the fuel delivery are all over the place. One thing I liked about the 2FE project was figuring things out. Instead of just doing what everybody else did, I came up with other solutions. Well, this is one of them. Right now, I ain't tellin' what that solution is, but I think it's pretty slick. I'm thinking of doing the patient, trademark, copyright thing on this solution. I've spent a few mornings at the boneyard looking for solutions. I have what I need.

Fuel filter relocation mount. On the 22re the filter is located under the intake manifold. It's a royal PITA to access and replace. On the 3RZ, Toyota did the same thing. So, I'm moving the filter someplace accessable.

Relocation plate with factory filter bracket.

Fuel Filter Bracket (2)-sm.jpg

Filter bracket mounted to relocation plate.

Fuel Filter Bracket (3)-sm.jpg

With the filter installed.

Fuel Filter Bracket (1)-sm.jpg

Last edited:
jeee, I don't know if 1/4" is thick enough for this application ;)

jeee, I don't know if 1/4" is thick enough for this application ;)
It's functional. First, I needed to counter-sink the screws so the bracket would fit on top. Second, I needed to space out the filter from the firewall.

i like that A LOT!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Continuing on. As I said, the fuel delivery and return are backwards from a Gen1 Tacoma. So ...

Charcoal canister on the 22RE. This gets abandoned and the 3RZ canister gets mounted to the driver's side.

Before-sm.jpg

Adapter plate installed in place of the charcoal canister.

Mounted plate.jpg

Filter mounted to bracket.

Mounted Fuel Filter.jpg

Fuel connection at the frame using Tacoma hose.

Fuel connection.jpg

And a mock-up of the hoses, moving everything to the driver's side.

Filter installed.jpg

Last edited:
Connections. I think the fuel return line will be OK, but I will probably move the vent line closer to the firewall.

connections.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom