Paint job process has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I am finally making time for this. Been wanting to paint this thing for a few years now. I originally planned to use quicksand but changed my mind to the new Toyota color Calvary blue. Not the bright, deep blue they are using, it’s the soft earthy blue on the Tacoma and 4 runner. I know, I know, some of you green lovers will think I’m crazy to color change. I’m not crazy though, HIH is only a couple weeks away, I got this ;) it’s the perfect time to strip a vehicle down to do a complete color change, no problem. No, seriously though, I am an idiot. But it will be cool when it’s done.

FYI, I am an auto body guy, I have restored many classic VW’s throughout my life. So, I know how to do this stuff. The best part is that this paint job will end up costing me about $600 max :) and that’s PPG paint, not cheap junk.

I will have daily updates and detailed photos though the week. :popcorn:

Step 1, strip all the parts off the vehicle so that I can access all the jambs for paint. Need to get all the jambs painted so that they can dry well enough to mask on the new paint. Then work on the bodywork while paint is drying. Shoot the roof during this period of time too, it will be white.

084924DA-1B3F-4374-8291-C0B402573F6E.jpeg

subscribed

I can't wait to see how this unfolds! I'd love to paint my truck quicksand, but the cavalry blue with white roof will be awesome as well!

Lol, it's a week from tomorrow. You're mad! Can't wait to see how this turns out, subscribed!
DUDE! Dont tell me that. What am I doing????? Save me a camping spot, I might be a day late :D

You're ambitious, I'll give ya that!

How are you able to get an entire Land Cruiser worth of PPG paint for under $600? Leftovers from someone else's job? That's crazy cheap. I am budgeting around $1000 in chemicals for my small-ish 2 door hatchback (91 Supra). I would have put the Cruiser closer to $1500.

I'm excited to see how it turns out at HIH!

You’re crazy! Can’t wait to see it!

You're ambitious, I'll give ya that!

How are you able to get an entire Land Cruiser worth of PPG paint for under $600? Leftovers from someone else's job? That's crazy cheap. I am budgeting around $1000 in chemicals for my small-ish 2 door hatchback (91 Supra). I would have put the Cruiser closer to $1500.

I'm excited to see how it turns out at HIH!
Omni by PPG, it’s totally good stuff, was previously called Shopline. Shooting single stage, I love single stage paint. Easy to touch up. Gallon of paint, 1.5 gallons shootable, sealer, primer, filler and other supplies. $550

Omni by PPG, it’s totally good stuff, was previously called Shopline. Shooting single stage, I love single stage paint. Easy to touch up. Gallon of paint, 1.5 gallons shootable, sealer, primer, filler and other supplies. $550

Ah, OK. That makes sense. In my circle PPG means the top end PPG stuff and Omni =/= PPG, but I follow ya. I've used Omni for all my practice stuff.

Very cool either way. I'll have to stop by and see the rig at HIH!

Non-metallic? Catalyzed? You can just shoot and buff or you have to wet sand the whole thing?

Non-metallic? Catalyzed? You can just shoot and buff or you have to wet sand the whole thing?
If sprayed correctly, single stage should only have to be lightly wet sanded and heavily buffed. That is the beauty of single stage. Only problem is spraying single stage is marginally more difficult than the now-standard base coat/clear coat. Single stage runs easier. If you have slight runs, you may be able to get away with wet sanding them down a bit. Cannot wait to see the results.

Non metallic, yes. I wouldn’t shoot metallic in single stage. I’m hoping that I will not have to sand much, although painting it outside, so I will have to knock off some dirt and bugs. I normally sand all the orange peel down to glass smooth. My old technique was to use 800 grit dry on my DA sander. I would do about a 16”x16” area per sheet. This takes it down quick and saves time. Then move on to wet sanding by hand. Not doing that on the land cruiser, it won’t be entered in any car shows.;)
So hopefully I can lay it out pretty smooth. I am a bit out of practice, haven’t painted much in a while so we shall see.

I have 2 early Miata's that came from the factory with single stage. 30 years later, the paint still looks incredible. It's very hard to find shops that will shoot single stage anymore.

Thanks for letting us follow along.

IMG-7490.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom