Paint job process has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW The Onyx black and White LC models are single stage paint.

Kelly- with the color change, and repainting door sills and other parts tagged with your VIN#- how do you save those tags, tape over them or do you remove & toss?

I too like single stage. Mercedes 040 black was single stage for over half a century and it was their most durable color. Plus it's easier to do finesse repairs over time. It seems a lot of collectors think base coat / clear coat is the premium paint job but it's probably just easier to shoot and a labor saver, and of course necessary for metallics.

FWIW The Onyx black and White LC models are single stage paint.

Kelly- with the color change, and repainting door sills and other parts tagged with your VIN#- how do you save those tags, tape over them or do you remove & toss?
That is what kinda sucks. I will tape over I guess. I hate masking off things, and it will drive me nuts knowing it’s still green underneath. Some I could peel off but a couple I want to keep. Will decide today.

I am finally making time for this. Been wanting to paint this thing for a few years now. I originally planned to use quicksand but changed my mind to the new Toyota color Calvary blue. Not the bright, deep blue they are using, it’s the soft earthy blue on the Tacoma and 4 runner. I know, I know, some of you green lovers will think I’m crazy to color change. I’m not crazy though, HIH is only a couple weeks away, I got this ;) it’s the perfect time to strip a vehicle down to do a complete color change, no problem. No, seriously though, I am an idiot. But it will be cool when it’s done.

FYI, I am an auto body guy, I have restored many classic VW’s throughout my life. So, I know how to do this stuff. The best part is that this paint job will end up costing me about $600 max :) and that’s PPG paint, not cheap junk.

I will have daily updates and detailed photos though the week. :popcorn:
I've years wanted a paint both and to shoot one of these. Watching your thread gets me thinking. But one thing I can't wrap my head around, is how are you getting such a good price on materials. Is mark up for retail that much. I mean the number auto paints supplier in the area (Finish Masters), is quoting me $4K average vehicle in materials. I just spent $250 for smallest can 4oz finish BGP color, 1 qt clear plus hardener.

I've years wanted a paint both and to shoot one of these. Watching your thread gets me thinking. But one thing I can't wrap my head around, is how are you getting such a good price on materials. Is mark up for retail that much. I mean the number auto paints supplier in the area (Finish Masters), is quoting me $4K average vehicle in materials. I just spent $250 for smallest can 4oz finish BGP color, 1 qt clear plus hardener.
Not sure? I have been buying auto paint for 30 years, and it’s never been too expensive. I don’t use the best stuff, but good quality materials for sure. This Omni by PPG is nice, and it’s an off road vehicle, so I’m not going to spend more $$ on paint. 4K in materials? That cannot be right.

You should expect around $200/gallon or more for 2k primer and medium grade base/clear paints like PGP. Expect at least double that for HOK.

Up earlier today, need to work on it for more than a couple hours. Totally slacking yesterday. Hope to have jambs painted by the end of the day. No, I have to get them painted today. Lots to mask off, my most unliked task. At least is a beautiful day in Flagstaff!

094E217D-EE93-4A79-AD65-A1B5F43371CC.jpeg

Is Flagstaff area high up in the mountains or something? I was in Page, AZ 2 weeks ago and it was hotter than the devil's anus.

Kelly, what's the plan for your armor? Will you be color matching those as well?
Color matched bumpers, and side moldings trim. Gun metal gray center section of front bumper and sliders, to match wheels and roof rack. Gun metal gray panel on grille, on black frame.

Paint prep is 3/4 of the work!
I know, keep telling me that. Its always just a mess of work that goes on and on, then the paint goes on in like 2 hours and you can take a breath. I should be packing the LC for Colorado right now, not taking it apart!!

Reactions: KTP
I know, keep telling me that. Its always just a mess of work that goes on and on, then the paint goes on in like 2 hours and you can take a breath. I should be packing the LC for Colorado right now, not taking it apart!!

If it makes you feel any better, I wanted to paint my ARB bumper tonight...only made it as far as 3 coats of primer. The paint & clear coat will have to wait for tomorrow.

Quite the task you have undertaken!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom