Oyaji Jon's '74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post from the Newb...

In a quest to build a big ol' Dodge Raider, my aspirations outgrew my platform. So, I got this to take its place.

Front.jpg

DriversQuarter.jpg

SteeringWheel.jpg

The build plan:
1. Sand blast the tub and frame/paint Orange with Black bedlined interior/underbody/engine bay
2. Tube out engine bay/front fenders
3. Install 2005 5.3 Vortec/4L65E/Dana 300
4. Install metric Ford 1-ton axles/H1 double beadlocks and 37s
5. Install Saginaw PS pump to run hydroboost brakes and future hydro-assist steering
6. Install custom roll cage
7. Install coilover front suspension/keep leaf sprung rear.

The purpose:
Street legal and very capable expedition rig when coupled with the off road trailer that I'm building to go with it. I also want it capable of pulling a 23' camp trailer for the secluded land I want to homestead on in Oregon when I get it. The wife won't go without some semblance of home...

That pretty much sums it up. I'll post along the way with updates as the build progresses if anyone wants to follow along. Bring on those Newb salutes!

Welcome to MUD!
Looks like a good platform to start a build. Look for all the hidden rust when pulling it apart. ;)

Your wife sounds like mine! How much does this 23' camp trailer weigh? Your combination of drive train components will certainly pull it, but if it is heavy and long it will wag the light, short wheel base FJ40 all over the highway. Search towing on the forum to get a lot more information on this subject.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll search for the towing info. I think the trailer weighed in around 3500 or 4000 pounds. Thanks for the tip.

Mark, I see you're in Lebanon. Dang, I miss Oregon. I graduated from OSU in 2004 and haven't been back since (no Navy ships in Oregon as it turns out). Looking at some land in K-Falls area. We'll be back!

Last edited:
I I also want it capable of pulling a 23' camp trailer for the secluded land I want to homestead on in Oregon when I get it.!

Hauling building material for your improvements plus the trailer sounds like a job for a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up. Are you considering any horses/livestock? Gold dredging equipment? Are you at an elevation where you'd have to shut down in winter and haul everything out?

The project rig sounds cool! Just trying to see all the angles. Good luck!

Hauling building material for your improvements plus the trailer sounds like a job for a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up. Are you considering any horses/livestock? Gold dredging equipment? Are you at an elevation where you'd have to shut down in winter and haul everything out?

The project rig sounds cool! Just trying to see all the angles. Good luck!

Nah, nothing that sophisticated. I'm looking at a 160 acre plot that I'll put a simple cabin on eventually. That will be delivered. I ain't messin' with it. We went and priced 23' trailers that will give her a kitchen, toilet, water, etc. You know, the comforts of home. The trailer in/trailer out thing is all I'd have to do. That said, I'll build a structure to house a boat, tools, a dry place to work on the rig, etc. I'm not resigning myself to the way of the survivalist podcast quite yet...more like a happy place for moi.

I just don't want a bunch of rigs. I'm trying for the compromise understanding that it won't be REALLY good at anything, but leaning more toward the offroad fun aspect. The V8 and 1 ton running gear are mainly for the pulling duty.

Thanks to all for the comments.

I bought this rig from Hard Rock 4x4 in Chula Vista, CA. Home - Hard Rock 4x4

I promise pics will come once the rig is registered, picked up and things are underway. A very good friend of mine will be doing the fab work on my behalf (since I suck at welding) at his shop in TJ.

Where'r all the :flipoff2:at? C'mon you guys can do better than this!

Well, the 40 is finally registered, legal and at my friend's shop. The body's rough...a lot of work to do. The search is on for a sandblaster to take the tub to bare metal so we can see how deep the rust really goes. Like most of these rigs, there seems to be a lot of filler under that blue paint. You can see the original red in the engine bay. Tear down is in progress. I did end up getting a Bestop with full and half soft doors for $450 delivered off of Craigslist. Here are a few more pics of what we are starting with.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

I was going to put smooth Orange Durabak on the body and textured Black in the floor/underside and firewall of the tub, but am concerned about future availability in the case of damage since Durabak told me I'd be buying the last of the smooth Orange and that they'd be making no more. So, I'll probably go back to my original plan of Drab Green or other earthy color with blacked out emblems.

I have 17 photos from various angles, but mostly more of the same I've already posted. If anyone has any comments or wants to see other photos, please let me know. I'll keep this updated as the build comes along.

Thanks for reading...

Progress report: a little slow, but coming along just the same. I sent the tub and frame to the sand blaster. The pics below show it back in the shop in primer. Essentially, the rear of the tub was toast. I employed a body man who builds race trucks to go to work hand crafting the tub. The guy builds $300k Baja trucks for a living, so I'm looking forward to seeing his work. Amazing enough, the front half of the tub is pristing. Behind the mid floor from side to side/top to bottom was like Swiss Cheese. I ordered Rust Bullet for the frame and tub, ordered a new wiring harness, and the new gauge panel to fit Autometer gauges should be coming soon.

Other things in the works: Looks like I'll be running a hydro-boost brake system to stop those military wheels and tires and will order a PSC hydro-assist steering system since it will cost nearly as much to build a system to suit.

The last loose ends to order will be drive shafts and exhaust. Other than that, the parts are all there. We're shooting for a deadline of September 30. It may need to move, but should be doable, I think...

Pics aren't great, but it's what I have.

photo%205.JPG

photo%206.jpg

photo%207.jpg

photo%208.jpg

photo%209.jpg

For those reading my crap, progress to this point has been slow. It is moving nonetheless...

The final piece for the tub came in, so tub assembly should start tomorrow or Thursday. I'm looking forward to the tub being completed so the Rust Bullet can be applied and we can figure out what to do about paint. We are shooting for a Turkey Day completion date so I can pick it up in San Diego over my long weekend.

Here's the instrument panel that will be loaded with Autometer gauges.
instrument%20panel.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the full width Dana 60 cleaned up and ready for coilover/link fitment.
clean%20front%20axle.jpg

clean%20front%20axle%202.jpg

Here are some shots of the recentered H1 custom double bead locks with HMMVV 37" tires next to what's left of the tub. Should be pretty cool once the axles are fitted and we can get some real pics of the stance. At 200# per corner, these things are pretty beefy!

rear%20tire.jpg

drivers%20side%20tires.jpg

Here is what happened yesterday...

More spy photos of progress. Cell phone pics they may be, but pics, nonetheless, they are. The 5.3 is in, and I got some more stuff. The Vanco hydroboost and PSC hydro assist should be delivered by the end of next week. Jim hooked me up with an LS swap radiator, nylon under body gas tank, saginaw steering set up and motor mounts. The OME 2" FJ60 rear springs are being mounted so we can get the rear axle placement done and ride height set. Once ride height is good, the front coilovers and 4 link will be set up. Should move pretty quickly from here (I hope). Turkey Day is the scheduled pick up day! I'm pretty excited...

Pics.
engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

framesidemotormount.jpg

enginemounted1.jpg

enginemounted2.jpg

enginemounted3.jpg

enginemounted4.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Tom Woods driveshafts that they want to share before I take the plunge?

Don't have any personal experience with Tom Woods, but I would recommend High Angle Driveline. They did some work on the rear shaft of my 40 and I am very happy with their service.

High Angle Drivline-Call Jesse at 530-877-2875

where did you get the instrument pannel for the autometer gauges

http://www.trailcandy.com

The guy is a little slow to communicate, but if you stick the transaction out, you get a great product at a relatively low price. He has LOTS of options, too. Check it out...

No problem!

Today marked the start of suspension work on the 40 since the engine is mounted and good to go. Once the rear axle is placed and ride height set, the body guy will come in and weld in the hand crafted replacement panels. We couldn't get started sooner because the OME 2" lift FJ60 springs, bushings and shackles took a bit of time to get in. Using the FJ60 springs to stretch the wheel base and keep the spring under rear suspension arrangement. The body guy will make the wheel well openings in the right place on the quarter panels to accommodate the different axle position. It should come out pretty well.

In this pic you can see one of the fab guys making he spring hanger for the front frame side of the rear spring. You can also see those BEEFY HD OME springs. I'll also be running MAF HD Anti-inversion shackles. I MUST recommend TLC in Van Huys. Elvin has been a HUGE help!

Spring%20Mount%20Fab%202.jpg

Here is a teaser of some parts that came in yesterday. I also have a [formerly Downey Offroad] (Thanks Jim!) under body fuel cell, steering mount and hardware kit, Vanco hydroboost waiting to go in.

PSC.jpg

We're gaining momentum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom