Overthinking things - Need some advice on a snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The comments about cleaner filters from you guys with snorkels is changing my mind. If the raised intake really does help that much, maybe my dust concern is a non-issue.

I really like the end result you've got there @Box Rocket. It's a pity about needing to mess with the neck of the snorkel itself though. Do you think it'd be possible to make an adapter, or would that raise the height? If prefilter can't fit over the top, maybe I could expand/slot that instead, and keep the neck of the snorkel stock? If I did get a genuine Safari snorkel, I wouldn't want to deform it with the price they sell them for! Second hand might be the way to go there though as you mentioned @Feistl. The precleaner itself is still available and fairly cheap though, so I might try and modify that first.

The comments about cleaner filters from you guys with snorkels is changing my mind. If the raised intake really does help that much, maybe my dust concern is a non-issue.

I really like the end result you've got there @Box Rocket. It's a pity about needing to mess with the neck of the snorkel itself though. Do you think it'd be possible to make an adapter, or would that raise the height? If prefilter can't fit over the top, maybe I could expand/slot that instead, and keep the neck of the snorkel stock? If I did get a genuine Safari snorkel, I wouldn't want to deform it with the price they sell them for! Second hand might be the way to go there though as you mentioned @Feistl. The precleaner itself is still available and fairly cheap though, so I might try and modify that first.
The pre-filter might be difficult to modify and maintain the functionality. To expand the precleaner opening enough to fit over the snorkel opening would block the fins of the precleaner and potentially ruin the precleaner function and block airflow.
It might be possible to modify it to be a smaller tube section (neck down from 4” to ~3.75”) so it could fit inside the snorkel opening.

Unless you have a diesel you can't or probably shouldn't ford rivers that flow over your hood. Sideways, because if its coming over from the front you're going too fast or in the wrong direction. Since you have a dust filter in your fender, and a water drain in your filter canister the only reason I can see a need for a snorkel is looks. In that case get a Safari and point it towards the windshield like the cool kids do.

Unless you have a diesel you can't or probably shouldn't ford rivers that flow over your hood. Sideways, because if its coming over from the front you're going too fast or in the wrong direction. Since you have a dust filter in your fender, and a water drain in your filter canister the only reason I can see a need for a snorkel is looks. In that case get a Safari and point it towards the windshield like the cool kids do.
I do have a diesel, 1HZ naturally aspirated, full manual drive train with no electronics involved. We get the good ones in Australia. ;)

I do have a diesel, 1HZ naturally aspirated, full manual drive train with no electronics involved. We get the good ones in Australia. ;)
Yeah I wheeled a 91 HDJ-81 with the 1HD-T for quite a while. Forded many big rivers where gassers couldn't go. I think if you turn the safari backwards in dusty conditions, making the particles turn 180 degrees is the best filter. Did a similiar thing in an off gas spider for a rotary cooler on a coke calciner kiln. Cut particulate emissions in the off-gas by 50%.

That's so true. Even the EU and Africa get more options than the US. Boy did Toyota miss the mark there. Plus they're discontinuing the 200 after this model year.

Luckily I just picked up a low mileage euro-spec 100-Series with 1hdt-fe diesel (205hp), left-hand drive, 5-speed manual, Lexus interior. Other than the IFS it hits all the boxes. And no one in the US can get one for another 4-5 years ;)

LOL. I guess the there's a bunch of guys that attended the Alaska Cruiser Trek (and plenty of others) with gas motors that didn't get the memo that you "can't" ford rivers that flow over the hood. There are plenty of people who have taken gas motors into water that has come over the hood.
AKT.jpg

LOL. I guess the there's a bunch of guys that attended the Alaska Cruiser Trek (and plenty of others) with gas motors that didn't get the memo that you "can't" ford rivers that flow over the hood. There are plenty of people who have taken gas motors into water that has come over the hood.
View attachment 2614915
I stand corrected... obviously. Cool photo BTW.

Moonlight will make you one with a vertical-facing opening that you can put a ram-head or pre-cleaner

Thought I'd bump this thread to share my eventual solution, and the various detours I took along the way. In the end, I decided I wanted a snorkel with a cyclonic pre-filter, BUT, I didn't want an OEM snorkel body. I wanted a Safari snorkel or equivalent, where I could switch out between the standard ram head and a cyclonic prefilter, with the standard 3.5 inch outer diameter on the snorkel neck like you get on a Safari snorkel. To experiment with my options, I picked up a genuine Toyota "birdfeeder" snorkel head from partsouq in a larger order, and a cheap chinese Safari snorkel ripoff from ebay that I could butcher if needed:
1773017020-0.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Once these both arrived, I discovered fitting it was going to be challenging. The bottom of the genuine cyclonic prefilter has an 85mm outer diameter, and fits inside the OEM snorkel neck. The Safari style snorkel has a neck with a 3.5 inch (88.9mm) outer diameter, so you might think you could just about slip it inside the snorkel neck, but the internal wall thickness makes that impossible. The inner edge of the snorkel neck has significant overlap with the outer edge of the prefilter outlet. I thought about making an adapter, but the problem with that is the snorkel head would sit far too high, sticking out significantly above the vehicle. The only alternative would be modify the snorkel neck, or the prefilter outlet. It looked very difficult to modify the snorkel head itself, due to the materials and construction. Since I'd got this snorkel as a disposable tester, I opted to attempt to modify the snorkel neck like @Box Rocket reported he'd had success with. Well it didn't go so well for me. I made a bit of a mess of it. With a combination of heat, bending out, and grinding down inside, I could slip the head of the snorkel in a bit, but it still didn't go in as far as I wanted, and I was concerned I'd compromised the integrity of the neck, making it too thin or brittle. I also could no longer fit the ram head, like I wanted to be able to.

While searching for another alternative here, I came across this:
s-l500.jpg

This is NOT the genuine Toyota cyclonic prefilter. It's a near perfect clone, but with one key difference: It fits over a standard 3.5 inch snorkel neck! I got it from this specific ebay listing:
There are lower quality clones out there I skipped over, but this one is really good. Pretty sure they directly moulded it off the Toyota original, and it actually cost a similar amount to the OEM one for that matter. Here's the two side by side:
1636096241751.png
1636096280487.png

It's worth noting the thing is basically just a bit of moulded plastic. Apart from the intentional changes here, like the textured finish rather than the OEM smooth, and the different outlet style, it's a perfect clone of the original Toyota design and construction. I'd highly recommend it.

So then, with a solution worked out, I fitted a genuine Safari snorkel I'd sourced secondhand:
1636096817519.png

Without any modification, I can now slip off the Safari ram head and fit this cyclonic prefilter instead:
1636096916821.png

Pretty happy with the end result! It does sit around 4-5cm higher in total than the ram head, but that works for me, and you could easily "trim" the snorkel neck now to get it to sit a bit lower if you wanted. I think this aftermarket head is a really good option with no fuss for anyone else who might want this kind of thing.

View attachment 2614915
I know this was a bit ago, but yeah - have definitely had my 80 in water over the hood (temporarily) with no issue. The snorkel doesn't make the 80 a submarine but it definitely widens the margin for error when crossing sketchy places. I'd rather have it than not. Of course, proper vehicle speed and good driving can get a non-snorkeled vehicle through deep water without a snorkel in some conditions...but every little bit helps.

Thought I'd bump this thread to share my eventual solution, and the various detours I took along the way. In the end, I decided I wanted a snorkel with a cyclonic pre-filter, BUT, I didn't want an OEM snorkel body. I wanted a Safari snorkel or equivalent, where I could switch out between the standard ram head and a cyclonic prefilter, with the standard 3.5 inch outer diameter on the snorkel neck like you get on a Safari snorkel. To experiment with my options, I picked up a genuine Toyota "birdfeeder" snorkel head from partsouq in a larger order, and a cheap chinese Safari snorkel ripoff from ebay that I could butcher if needed:
1773017020-0.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Once these both arrived, I discovered fitting it was going to be challenging. The bottom of the genuine cyclonic prefilter has an 85mm outer diameter, and fits inside the OEM snorkel neck. The Safari style snorkel has a neck with a 3.5 inch (88.9mm) outer diameter, so you might think you could just about slip it inside the snorkel neck, but the internal wall thickness makes that impossible. The inner edge of the snorkel neck has significant overlap with the outer edge of the prefilter outlet. I thought about making an adapter, but the problem with that is the snorkel head would sit far too high, sticking out significantly above the vehicle. The only alternative would be modify the snorkel neck, or the prefilter outlet. It looked very difficult to modify the snorkel head itself, due to the materials and construction. Since I'd got this snorkel as a disposable tester, I opted to attempt to modify the snorkel neck like @Box Rocket reported he'd had success with. Well it didn't go so well for me. I made a bit of a mess of it. With a combination of heat, bending out, and grinding down inside, I could slip the head of the snorkel in a bit, but it still didn't go in as far as I wanted, and I was concerned I'd compromised the integrity of the neck, making it too thin or brittle. I also could no longer fit the ram head, like I wanted to be able to.

While searching for another alternative here, I came across this:
s-l500.jpg

This is NOT the genuine Toyota cyclonic prefilter. It's a near perfect clone, but with one key difference: It fits over a standard 3.5 inch snorkel neck! I got it from this specific ebay listing:
There are lower quality clones out there I skipped over, but this one is really good. Pretty sure they directly moulded it off the Toyota original, and it actually cost a similar amount to the OEM one for that matter. Here's the two side by side:
View attachment 2830320View attachment 2830321

It's worth noting the thing is basically just a bit of moulded plastic. Apart from the intentional changes here, like the textured finish rather than the OEM smooth, and the different outlet style, it's a perfect clone of the original Toyota design and construction. I'd highly recommend it.

So then, with a solution worked out, I fitted a genuine Safari snorkel I'd sourced secondhand:
View attachment 2830322

Without any modification, I can now slip off the Safari ram head and fit this cyclonic prefilter instead:
View attachment 2830323
Pretty happy with the end result! It does sit around 4-5cm higher in total than the ram head, but that works for me, and you could easily "trim" the snorkel neck now to get it to sit a bit lower if you wanted. I think this aftermarket head is a really good option with no fuss for anyone else who might want this kind of thing.
Very cool! This looks like an awesome solution! I might buy one of the bird feeder clones just to have a closer look at one. Thanks for sharing your findings.

My bird feeder arrived today. Seems to be of decent quality.
View attachment 3069250
Mine arrived today too (the aftermarket one). Overall it seems good. Looking at it side by side with the OEM one the plastic doesn’t seem to be quite as good as the OEM but still seems plenty sturdy and fitment was good.

Andrew Saint-Pierre White in South Africa measured a 15° difference in the air coming in through the standard inlet and a snorkel. That would seem reason enough to get one, water or no water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom