Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The climate controlled garage with epoxy floor and clean frame and undercarriage already point to a serious over lander without any mods what so-ever.
No climate controlled garage and did my own epoxy floors thank you. Built my FJ55 mostly by myself and actually wheel it. In the spirit of this thread however laughed at your post. Bottom pic is before I fabricated my front bumper from TJ rear swing out bumper.

CD8607A4-3F53-4789-8382-6DDBF8CB4670.jpeg

81118C91-3308-4266-A705-D60747E28FA9.jpeg

Last edited:
If your trip is more about your rig and your gear than it is where you are and what you are doing then maybe you ARE an Overlander.

Just to be clear, this is not a good thing to be.
I don't see an issue with having a trip just for the sake of doing it for the rig rather than the destination and trip. If I got a cool vehicle, I will enjoy the vehicle more than the trip in certain contexts. not all instances, but some

First off, this thread is hilarious. I've defined Overlanding for myself as "the pursuit of carrying as many luxury items as you can into the craziest places". I don't think I'm the only one doing this, just more honest about it. I absolutely want a dual battery system and a massive inverter and solar panels, but its so I can run my ice maker and have crushed ice cocktails on top of a mountain or at the beach. Drawer slides are so you can have a pull out kitchen and make a gourmet meal in the woods with some good scenery, not so you can store half a car worth of spare parts and tools and pretend like you are going to rebuild your car on the side of the trail. This is why I do find it a bit silly that so much overland/camping gear is designed to look like its mil-spec paramilitary gear. I feel its especially 5th gen 4runners/Jeepers/Tacomas that tend to look like they're doing convoy runs through Mogadishu. But I get it, a lot of that stuff is just actually very functional and convenient...and I mean looks count for something. Personally I love the safari aesthetic so that's what I go for, its just fun.

What I'm really enjoying laughing at is the catch 22 of big Overland influencers pumping people to get into overlanding to increase their brand and use their affiliates link or purchase sponsor gear and then complain about people giving away gps coordinates, trail location, or camp spots or prices going up. You got to pick one or other.

The difference between the various "styles" of overlanders is best seen by comparing the US group Expedition Overland and the various Australian bro groups like Explore Life, 24/7-4WD and SideTracked Australia. Personally EO is a bit comedic to me, gobs and gobs of money on pretentious overly serious trips. They'll have all the paramilitary gear, the "training", "security" team, name their vehicles and all this echo leader bravo foxtrot crap like theyre not basically just filming a family road trip for youtube. The Australian bros on the otherhand are straight up frat boy party animals and make no bones about it. They're there to have a good time, crack open a cold one at the beach, and have kick back with their mates. The aussie bros dont bother me even with the ludicrously expensive builds and crazy stuff because they dont take themselves that serious and theyre clearly just there to have some fun, the EO type overlanders are just way to serious to me.
sums up overlanding I think. Overlanding is a sub genre of camping I think. You can camp in your back yard if you want. Camping is a broad term, and I think overlanding is a sub genre. Kind of like how overlanding is different than riding a motorcycle across the pan American trail. both can be camping, but they are not both overlanding.

sorry for double post

also, make your own stuff or don't buy overpriced crap, or buy used. that's the happy zone of "overlanding". getting outside and having fun in the most cost effective way possible. some people have more fun with more built up rigs, some have more fun having simple rigs

Overlanding, what a silly term :)

In oz, I just 'head bush' or 'go camping'. If you are out for a few weeks in remote bush areas, you are clearly camping (no any star hotels to be found ).

There's a big machine that has been fabricated to extract maximum money from folk for things they must have to be able to head bush. ARB stores in Oz are a hoot to visit, the amount of expensive s*** that they sell is a wonder to behold. Then you come across some of these wallies in their decked out 4wds as they head at top speed to some of the 'famous' tracks in the oz bush :steer:

3 1/2 weeks and about 2500 miles of 'camping' after we headed bush...

I guess if we had a deluxe drawer system with slide out fridges (one is not enough) and a roof top tent and a propane powered temperature regulated hot water system for showers, we would have had a much more enjoyable time.... Anyhow, must stop poking fun, at least some of them get out there and enjoy the outdoors versus the gear :)

cheers,
george.

Overlanding, what a silly term :)

In oz, I just 'head bush' or 'go camping'. If you are out for a few weeks in remote bush areas, you are clearly camping (no any star hotels to be found ).

There's a big machine that has been fabricated to extract maximum money from folk for things they must have to be able to head bush. ARB stores in Oz are a hoot to visit, the amount of expensive s*** that they sell is a wonder to behold. Then you come across some of these wallies in their decked out 4wds as they head at top speed to some of the 'famous' tracks in the oz bush :steer:

3 1/2 weeks and about 2500 miles of 'camping' after we headed bush...

I guess if we had a deluxe drawer system with slide out fridges (one is not enough) and a roof top tent and a propane powered temperature regulated hot water system for showers, we would have had a much more enjoyable time.... Anyhow, must stop poking fun, at least some of them get out there and enjoy the outdoors versus the gear :)

cheers,
george.
Yea. It’s fun to ooogle at, but it gets a little extra. I have a 40, so that means it’s relatively easy to fabricate my own stuff without it looking too out of place, since the car is boxy anyways. I can make my own bumpers, drawers, rack, body panels, flares and as long as it’s in detail, I don’t have to mess with name brand stuff. Doing those cool Instagram mods is cool and all, but way expensive for the average joe, and more cost effective and cooler if you do it yourself

Overlanding in North Yemen? Don't leave home without your AK-47... just sayin'
View attachment 2738927
A little Afghanistan “over landing” I did (I’m the toddler), my dad (in the passenger seat of the patrol in the last picture) and uncle (the one hanging out of the hilux surf) throughout the Afghan countryside. My dad ran tours for daring adventurers in these in crazy remote location in Afghanistan. He provided luxury foods and all necessary things for a satisfied tourist. Afghan guards with heavy weapons were needed of course….

A0B2F36B-30B3-4051-BA89-7A8248B3D17F.jpeg

911B8CE4-387B-4ABC-89AA-65B0D100931F.jpeg

BC4725B4-28FB-44C8-98CE-B6C90E2CA75B.jpeg

D98DBBAD-0F20-4717-9D3A-02B359AD3D80.jpeg

2CC3F3A7-99F8-4D2D-B47B-F1C35B7B5E97.jpeg

A little Afghanistan “over landing” I did (I’m the toddler), my dad (in the passenger seat of the patrol in the last picture) and uncle (the one hanging out of the hilux surf) throughout the Afghan countryside. My dad ran tours for daring adventurers in these in crazy remote location in Afghanistan. He provided luxury foods and all necessary things for a satisfied tourist. Afghan guards with heavy weapons were needed of course….

View attachment 2739549

View attachment 2739550

View attachment 2739551

View attachment 2739552

View attachment 2739553
Some more Afghanistan journeying, with some tourists and a picture of our best driver who saved my life a few times

B79A50AC-09FC-437C-AFBD-74E5A0C169E3.jpeg

F4F32A36-7069-43D0-95D1-D40F2AD26F8A.jpeg

F2944B18-0544-4CD4-AED5-5B8AE26219C6.jpeg

9DA57308-9874-4268-BC1B-22E49B3447D7.jpeg

ED59494A-68CC-45D8-8FBC-4DDF643E6369.jpeg

View attachment 2739549

View attachment 2739550

View attachment 2739551

View attachment 2739552

View attachment 2739553

Man, it really sucks for the afghan people that country is so ****ed up. It seems like a beautiful place. They could have a booming tourist economy....no pun intended

Man, it really sucks for the afghan people that country is so f***ed up. It seems like a beautiful place. They could have a booming tourist economy....no pun intended
Yeah. It is extremely beautiful and awesome to drive some 4x4s as I can imagine, and great place to go camping and exploring and seeing new cultures, but unfortunately, the centuries and centuries of constant was have taken their toll on the country

Step one, plan the trip. Step two...

D2C54357-3E79-4E81-B6BC-7671F51137E0.jpeg

67EC44FA-07D2-4E71-8887-74B089DCD365.jpeg

06588298-41F5-46F0-A35B-EE6633649F1C.jpeg

I can't afford MaxTrax or a titanium spork so I'm limited to just camping; overlanding is out of my price range.
I have Ti spork. Found it in the center console I pulled when the "Raisin" was being parted out. It still lives in the same center console. But since it came from the Raisin it us officially bad ass and trail certified and overland as ****.

Everyone has there own idea of fun. I camp out of my 80 about 3-4 days a week. My wife and I ussually keep it simple using our backpacking gear and simply sleeping in the truck with the back seats pulled out. Our idea of luxury is cooking eggs in the morning and having pillows at night. I just dont get why people want so much crap with them. Why bring a chair? I have never not found a spot on the ground or log to sit on. Why bring a shower? Just dont bathe for a few days or wash in the river. I really dont understand the portable toilets people bring. Has no one ever just crapped in the woods?

I did a organized event one time. We would all role into camp at the end of the day. My wife and I had our stuff set up in about 5 min. We pulled the cooler out of truck to make room and rolled out our sleeping bags, done. Other people spent about 2 hours setting up RTT, portable toilets, tables and so on. I just dont get it.

At one time I had a camp chair and table. It wasn't worth the time to open them up. I left them next to a dumpster in Moab. My tailgate is a fine table when I need one.

I know I am not gone for months on end but I spend a LOT of time in the back country in my truck compaired to most people.

Ps I do drive around with a hi lift on my truck so I guess I am "overland" certified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom