Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

these are always amusing threads,,,,

to me, doesnt really matter how you do it or what you bring,,, overlanding is about selling something, always has been.

these days its more about selling yourself, or products used to sell yourself, but in the old days it was about selling science, or the exploration of natural wonders/goods for profit.

Last edited:
My take on overlanding:

E80C6594-C22B-4640-A32C-AC2A5116CD5A.jpeg

Same thing, it's just that the cool kids call it overlanding....

I'm glad you spent 18 months studying the conundrum and coming to that conclusion to share with us :D

As this thread is back from the dead, I'll add my current opinion. I still don't care what others call it :D I've been fortunate to drive amazing Toyota's and Land Cruisers around the world through dozens of countries and have amazing experiences. If that is overlanding, sweet. If that is camping, awesome. I would do and will do it again soon... call it coddiwompling, tramping, trotting, glamping, desert racing, pre-running, exploring, adventure travlin', van-lifin', don't care... call me when you need a co-pilot and have some borders to hit :cool:

I forgot I even made this thread, a couple years back. Since then I've kind of gone down a rabbit hole. Looking back at my younger self, I was so naive. I would have told my younger self to pick another hobby that's cheaper, like cocaine maybe.

About a year after I did that trip a buddy of mine decided he was moving to Vietnam and sold me his LX450. It was in OK shape, but needed mucho work to really be something I'd trust on long hauls, but I've wanted an 80 since I first saw one and I jumped at the chance. And $2800 seemed waaay too good to pass up no matter what. FFW many moons and I've gone through it and easily spent that and much more getting it sorted, but she's in fine shape now. And last summer another buddy and I did a trip out west in our trucks, 3 weeks, 7500 miles total, and right at the peak of gas prices. I spent nearly as much in gas on that trip as I did buying the friggin truck! But it was a heII of a trip.

All but one night we sleep in the trucks, got to see some truly AMAZING sights and the trucks didn't skip a beat Of course.
Screenshot_1.jpg

Fins 'n Things
2022-06-23 11.27.20.jpg

Above Hungry Horse Reservoir in MT
2022-06-18 21.23.42.jpg

Somewhere in MT
2022-06-15 07.58.34.jpg

As Alanis said "I'm broke but I'm happy".

Overlanding = camping with equip and ability to stay in various terrains, self sustained, for longer periods than one would associate with camping. Plus, all the expensive, quirky stuff yields a few really cool things, dont get carried away.

Overlanding = camping with equip and ability to stay in various terrains, self sustained, for longer periods than one would associate with camping. Plus, all the expensive, quirky stuff yields a few really cool things, dont get carried away.

Just like moose hunting... without the camo... 😎

Edit, and without the moose of course. 😉

Haha, its fun to joke people and it is a hell of a lot more convenient to hang it on the outside than stashing it inside somewhere. Driving everywhere in town outfitted like you are about to drive through the Sahara is a bit ridiculous though (especially where I am in FL) Or the parking lot meets where people dress their rig up and show off all that BS. It's not my style, more power to you if it is.

I want an "overland" meet for people like me. We can call if Truck Camp Expo and everyone can show off their self built items that are just as good as the overpriced overland stuff. s***boxes welcome. Instead of paying for someone to teach you to drive over some pre-made dirt hills or use a winch you can learn to weld with batteries and 6010, fix a busted axle, what to do if your diff explodes. How to keep beer cold. Noone trying to sell you a $20k camp trailer or $4k RTT
Sounds like you need to come to the VT Overland, now called the pilgrimage. We have a camp site and are provided a ton of maps with trails on them. Grab some friends, head out and fix your truck back at the campsite in the evening. :)

Overlanding equipment is different than camping gear. It's 5x heavier.

I thought it was lighter since it was all aerospace aluminum and titanium schiznit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom