Other uses for the African Outback roof rack tracks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could get a T-Slot extruded framing material pretty close in size. What I still do not know is how to isolate the aluminum from the paint surface. It would vibrate a little bit and overtime would wear into the paint. I guess you could isolate it using double side adhesive tape.

That's one concern..another is the roof curvature. Do the AO rails come pre curved?

I definitely won't be keeping it mounted all the time because it decreases gas mileage, adds extra noise (especially with the sunroof open), etc.

You gotta be kidding......

You gotta be kidding......
Not sure if you've been in a 100 series with an AO rack mounted on it. There's a very noticable amount of wind noise added by it especially at highway speeds. That HAS to have at least a small amount of effect on gas mileage. This is my daily driver and goes 50 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. At the current gas prices, every little bit adds up - if I go from 14 MPG down to 13 MPG because I've got the AO rack mounted, that adds up over time.

If you want to drive around with an AO rack mounted all the time, I'm not going to mock you for doing so - it's your choice. There's no reason to mock me for the choice I've made. :flipoff2:

Besides, it still looks pretty nice with no roof rack mounted (better than with the stock rack, IMO) and the Yakima bars can be put on / taken off in less than a minute when I need them.

Just ran across this deal and thought it might be adaptable to the 100. The curve of the roof concerns me though.

Westin Automotive Products 16-2031 HD Series Heavy Duty Truck And Van Utility Rack System $155 shipped

54 Inch Crossbar, 71 Inch Track
• Heavyduty 250 lb. load capacity for 2-bar kits
• 3-bar kit adds 125 lbs. to load capacity
• 3-Year Warranty

Westin HD-Series Roof Rack - About the Product
http://www.westinautomotive.com/hires/cargo/KOOBCOMTRA1_W.jpg

Accessories including Hi-Lift Jack and Shovel mount
Westin Roof Rack System Accessories
312B42R0PFL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Those are made by Rhino Racks Australia
They do make Land Cruiser specific rack but they not available in US. I contacted Westin 3-4 years ago before I build my rack but they never reply.

The roof curvature is one reason I like the round bars of the Yakima system, versus the squared Thule and others. Maybe not quite as secure, but it allows you to orient your attachments to be in-line/parallel to each other, since you just rotate them on the tube until they line up, then tighten the mounting bolts. With the squared systems, the roof curvature could cause your attachments to not line up correctly.

I've always been a dedicated Yakima fan, but had to get Thule bars and towers for my BMW 328is due to the funky roof design (Yakima doesn't make clips for it). They are both extremely high-quality, one or the other is just better suited to specific applications. Yakima seems to be much better at adapting to factory roof-racks and has better roof-top boxes, while Thule typically has better fits for European automobiles and has a better receiver hitch system for bikes.

I know this is an old thread but the track w/ yakima towers and bars solution is what I'd like to go after to keep the profile lower than with the rail grabs with factory rails. Any idea where to find tracks that will fit the 100 series now? What about the yakima tracks? Would anything mount to the factory drilled spots? Another thought would be to see if there is any way to use the gamiviti towers with a yakima (or thule if I had to) load bar system.

Order a set of Front Runner tracks. They fit the Yakima towers perfectly.

front-runner-slimline-rack-2-jpg.464709

I know this is an old thread but the track w/ yakima towers and bars solution is what I'd like to go after to keep the profile lower than with the rail grabs with factory rails. Any idea where to find tracks that will fit the 100 series now? What about the yakima tracks? Would anything mount to the factory drilled spots? Another thought would be to see if there is any way to use the gamiviti towers with a yakima (or thule if I had to) load bar system.
Fwiw, we still have some AO tracks left. $100 set

I'll take a set of them. Full length on the roof right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom