Weight handling of the roof WITHOUT THE RACK (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw this old thread but didn’t want to revive it: does anyone know how much weight a 100 series roof can handle ? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/does-anyone-know-how-much-weight-a-100-series-roof-can-handle.978028/

Anyway, I don’t haul gear on my roof, like ever. Any my rack was all nasty without any endcap covers, so I removed it. But we’re finally ready to upgrade to a rooftop tent from the KampRite double tent cot. And one of the ones I really like is the Rev Tent by C6, which can be deployed on flat ground, on a rack, or even directly on the top of a roof if it can handle the stress, and they used to show it deployed that way on the J**p JK/JL on their website with the platform. So if my roof is string enough to support an 80 lb tent, two heavier adults in my wife and I, plus bedding, then I can save the money of also buying a full rack. If not, then I’ll probably get the Prinsu, but IDK.

perhaps there‘s a reason why „they used to advertise it“ :)

I‘d never do that. Taking a ladder next to the car and just lean on one hand on the roof and seeing it bending… that might be 1/3 of your weight. And now you want to sit on your butt with 100% weight? Hhmm, don‘t think the roof will be straight afterwards.

Technically speaking: based on my knowledge the roof support bars are not really structural. They‘re mainly there to avoid vibration of the roof sheet metal.
Not sure if this is valid for the LC, but it is for example for the Ford E-Series.

perhaps there‘s a reason why „they used to advertise it“ :)

I‘d never do that. Taking a ladder next to the car and just lean on one hand on the roof and seeing it bending… that might be 1/3 of your weight. And now you want to sit on your butt with 100% weight? Hhmm, don‘t think the roof will be straight afterwards.

Technically speaking: based on my knowledge the roof support bars are not really structural. They‘re mainly there to avoid vibration of the roof sheet metal.
Not sure if this is valid for the LC, but it is for example for the Ford E-Series.
Yeah, you’re right. I wasn’t thinking clearly. Thanks for talking sense into me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom