Front Runner Rails Compatible with Yakima Landing Pads & Control Towers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if the Front Runner rails for their Slimline racks are compatible with the Yakima Landing Pads and Control Towers?

I noticed that 3rd Cruiser mentioned in the Yakima Mega Warrior thread that he used the AO rails with this set up, but that it ended up being higher than the factory rails with the low rider clamps.

I've been considering using the rails with the landing pads and control towers in combination with the 1.4M Slimline half rack.

I've got so much invested in the Yakima stuff, that this would give me increased options up top. Thanks. Newbie.

They fit on the AO track mounts, I beleve slee might still have a couple.

That's how I'd do it.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

If I am understanding you correctly, you are interested to know if you can use your Yakima system on the front half of the track set provided in the 1.4m Front Runner Slimline rack, where you would have the FR SL basket at the back and the Yakima bars up front. That answer would be yes. Front Runner has a very stout set of track in their system, and it is very similar to the track dimensions offered by Thule, Yakima, and such. It should work fine. The track in the FR SL rack system span from just behind the rear factory rack mounting points, to just in front of the front factory mounting point. I guess that is pretty obvious. But what that means is that there is plenty of track in front of the basket to mount your bars and accessories.

We are developing a means of mounting your accessories directly on top of the FR SL rack as well. Hopefully, we will have that some time soon.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

The tracks for the AO and FR racks are very close to the same. The mounting of Yakima and Thule towers (or what ever they choose to call them) has a bit smaller and usually oval nut that twists into place to tighten down. Because of their size they are more universal. The FR square nuts are as big and beefie as will fit in the track. Apparently, they are a bit bigger than the AO track nuts and need to be trimmed down a bit to fit in the AO track. But they can fit.

The AO and FR rack systems come as a complete kit, so the parts all work together. Though possible, it would be rare that the 2 systems would be intermingled.

Cheers,

Thanks for the detailed clarification.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I needed to know. I'll send you an email so we can arrange a time to get together.

For those who may be interested, here is a link to the Yakima Landing Pads (Landing Pad #1) that work with their Control Towers.

Last edited:
Thought I would throw up some pics of the finished rack install. Here they are...
Front-Runner-Slimline-Rack-1.jpg
Front-Runner-Slimline-Rack-2.jpg
Front-Runner-Slimline-Rack-3.jpg

...and a couple more.
Front-Runner-Slimline-Rack-4.jpg
Front-Runner-Slimline-Rack-5.jpg

. . . We are developing a means of mounting your accessories directly on top of the FR SL rack as well. Hopefully, we will have that some time soon.

Hey Paul, don't know if you've left on your trip south yet, but do you have an update on mounting Yakima accessories directly onto the Front Runner racks?

Looking to add some more stuff up top and wanted to know before making final purchases.

Taking the Wind Cheetah SL off enables me to run two Yak bars across and add stuff, but would prefer to keep the SL up top and add Yak accessories directly to it if possible.

Thanks.

I put yak landing pads onto the top of my AO rack. I didnt use it much but when I did it was worth it. Just put the yakima stuff back on the LS tho.
167021_10150125287013203_590898202_7979437_576130_n.jpg

I put yak landing pads onto the top of my AO rack. I didnt use it much but when I did it was worth it. Just put the yakima stuff back on the LS tho.

Loud, where did you pick up your AO rack? Can't find them for sale anywhere in US...

Hey loud, if you ever sell that rack put me first in line please.

Thanks Loud.

I searched for that pic of your rack setup before posting, but noticed it was AO.

I assume you attached the towers directly onto the rails or slats of the AO rack.

Happen to have any pics?

Thanks.

African%20Outback%202.jpg

Hey Paul, don't know if you've left on your trip south yet, but do you have an update on mounting Yakima accessories directly onto the Front Runner racks?

Looking to add some more stuff up top and wanted to know before making final purchases.

Taking the Wind Cheetah SL off enables me to run two Yak bars across and add stuff, but would prefer to keep the SL up top and add Yak accessories directly to it if possible.

Thanks.

Hola from Palenque MX.

I haven't seen anything come across from Front Runner to make this leap on their racks. I know they have been doing a lot of R&D lately. Not the answer you are after. Sorry about that. Hopefully I will hear more this spring. The AO rack orients the slats from to back, allowing easier transition to the Yakima or Thule towers. Front Runner is oriented left to right, making that hard to do.

A DIY option might be to take a couple pieces of 12 gauge flat steel, and bolt them across a couple slats. Them mount the sport towers to the steel in the space between the slats. I did this with one of the Front Runner Hi Lift Jack mounts with great success. Just an idea, and not certain what the connection to the tower would look like,

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom