Orion gear info... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Here are some pictures of the low and high speed gears from the Orion #150, but first, a stock Toyota low speed gear...
TLSG3.jpg
TLSG2.jpg
TLSG1.jpg

Now the low speed gear from the Orion case, #150:
OLSG1.jpg
OLSG2.jpg
OLSG3.jpg

Nice pics-Does this mean the popping out of gear problem has been solved or that it will still exist? I originally was considering the Orion, but after all the bad pub, I will likely just run the SM420 and the 3 speed case for another few years. When I do get an Orion, I know who I am going to have build it.

High speed gear and mainshaft, pre stepped washer and post:
OHSG&MS1.jpg
OHSG&MS2.jpg
OHSG&MS3.jpg

These two pics show the difference in thickness between a used (first pic) and new high/low shift collar (second pic)
hilowcollarused.jpg
Hilowcollarnew.jpg

I believe Steve has only had one of the several he has built have a popping out problem, and only in a very specific situation.

If I could afford it, I would have Steve build me an orion right now.

Cruiserdrew said:
Nice pics-Does this mean the popping out of gear problem has been solved or that it will still exist? I originally was considering the Orion, but after all the bad pub, I will likely just run the SM420 and the 3 speed case for another few years. When I do get an Orion, I know who I am going to have build it.

Tore the Yellow trucks case apart to install the stepped thrust washers last week, as this is the only case that I have had an issue with. You can see the free play that was present with the high-speed gear, .025”. This case would only pop out of high range, and only when coasting downhill for a while. It only happened in the Hills this last summer, and did not happen again after that. There was no issue with it popping out of low range, but I installed a stepped washer on the low speed gear also. I have both of them limited to .008” free-play.

I feel confident that this will end the issue with case number 150. We took the truck down the road and tried hard decelerations with it, and it stayed in gear. More testing is in the near future, as I am going to take his truck to a friends farm and flog it for a few hours in the next week or two….will report back with good or bad news!

Good luck!

-Steve

It is apparent that if the free-play of the gears on the main shaft is limited, that it lessens or completely removes the popping out of gear issue, as there are two folks out here in addition to this case, that are using a stepped washer, and are not having issues. I also think that if an older, thicker used shift collar was used, that it severely exaggerates the issue of the gear free play, and tendency for the case to not want to stay in gear because of the collar and gear wanting to be in the same place, not being able to, and the collar being bumped by the gear. You can see in the pictures of the stock Toyota low speed gear where the shift collar was rubbing on it.

-Steve

treerootCO said:
Are these the right two gears to compare?

I do not know what other gear you would compare the Orion low speed and high speed gears to, other than stock Toyota gears from a three or four speed one piece Land Cruiser transfer case Mike…

Do you see something too…

I would believe so…

Steve – you are the man. That explains a lot to someone like me who’s been just imagining these parts. Great pics… almost looks like you used a macro lens!

I’m going to chance it on this case. I think the neutral problem can totally be solved from what I’ve read on this board. I agree with treeroot; can’t even see the dog taper on the OEM gears up top! Its definitely not the same as the pics on the “Orion Club” thread… whats up with that?

greasysmitty said:
I agree with treeroot; can’t even see the dog taper on the OEM gears up top! Its definitely not the same as the pics on the “Orion Club” thread… whats up with that?

Those gears posted up in that thread were from a Toyota mini truck case(pickup and 4runner) and not a Land Cruiser one piece transfer case...

I am hoping that other people more in the know that me will post up.

-Steve

cpg said:
Are you not using the new under cut Orion gear??

Please expand on this....

There are LC case gears with the taper not sure if theyre replacement later stuff, or whatnot, and you will also notice that the teeth do vary in thickness, kinda hard to see in pictures, but in person its more evident.

I certainly think the reduced clearance will help out alot. hopefully it will prevent the lateral loading/unloading of the gear from walking the collar back off the gear as it shifts front/back.

What is the problem with the difference in width of the shift collar? AFAIK the outer surfaces are not subjected to wear under normal circumstances in the t-case. Manufacturing tolerances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom