Orion gear info... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok...

Are they going to send you the stepped thrust washers also?

If not, call back and get them, and put them in.

Poser said:
Ok...

Are they going to send you the stepped thrust washers also?

If not, call back and get them, and put them in.
Yes, they are also including a new front output bearing and seal. I'm going to try to swap the high gear out with the t-case in the rig.

What are you doing this weekend?

Ever been to Reno?

Got flyer miles? ;)

Isn't Reno burning?

I have not ever been to Reno.....

:beer:

rusty_tlc said:
Yes, they are also including a new front output bearing and seal. I'm going to try to swap the high gear out with the t-case in the rig.

What are you doing this weekend?

Ever been to Reno?

You are still going to need to re-set your bearing pre-load on the mainshaft....remove the parking brake and all that...

Poser said:
Got flyer miles? ;)

Isn't Reno burning?

I have not ever been to Reno.....

No flyer miles and most of my credit card limit is parked outside. It would be a pro-bono visit on your part. :grinpimp:

Most of N Nevada is on fire. The Gov. declared a state of emergency yesterday.
100,000 acres on fire at last report. 6,000 acres (with some great trails in it) just south of Reno:frown:

You should visit sometime, maybe when everything isn't burning:D . Way different than MN.

Poser said:
You are still going to need to re-set your bearing pre-load on the mainshaft....remove the parking brake and all that...

Randy didn't think so but agreed that I should check the pre-load when I was done re-installing the front cone. I'm due to get lucky on something.:D

rusty_tlc said:
Randy didn't think so but agreed that I should check the pre-load when I was done re-installing the front cone. I'm due to get lucky on something.

You will not find any luck with this one here bud….

The pre load changed when I built Ed Long’s Orion. I had built his originally without the stepped washers and new high-speed gear provided by AA. He had not installed it yet, and he came up to the shop for a weekend, and I tore the case down and installed the stepped thrust washers and the new gear that had been cut by AA.

The stepped thrust washer will allow the bearing to sit closer to the gear, and further from the race in the nose cone. You will not be able to detect endplay and slop in that bearing unless you remove the rear drive shaft and try to move the transfer case main shaft by itself.

Running the case and not resetting the preload will cause the case to eat itself over time, probably not that long in reality.

I would not want to mess with this under the truck. I am not saying that it cannot be done, but it will certainly present limitations not found when working on the bench.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom