OPOR - GX470 Slider Install

Discussion in '120-Series Toyotas' started by Bluetribal, Sep 2, 2016.

1. GonzoShinyPants

GonzoShinyPants

Media:
    Bump - since it appears a lot of people jumped on the MT group buy for these, including me, and this is a great post, I'm bumping it to add to it. With such a great post from @Bluetribal to start off with and a lot of other insight from posters I hope to add something, too. I'll start install in the next week or so, but the plan is to avoid the rivnuts altogether. While the challenges people have had with them are bad enough, there are some compelling reasons to skip them, one being the addition of a through bolt on the front feet rather than those attachment points on just one side of the frame, which does require drilling a hole on the inside the frame on each side. Another being the possibility I don't set one well and it ends up spinning after the bolt is in. I want to be able to remove the sliders easily if and when needed. I'll take @little_joe 's suggestion on brazing the nuts to a plate for the middle leg on the bottom of the frame.

Re the comments on welding, for me I don't want to weld the sliders on at this point. I'm just not ready to commit THAT much to that item on this truck - it's still a daily driver for my wife. So that's not an option for me at this time.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Bluetribal likes this.
  2. James C

James C

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess we’re riding the exact same train (of thought!)

Finished painting my group buy sliders on Monday and bolted them up last night. Not trying to steal your thunder, but I had the same feeling on the rivnuts so:
    1/2” through hole and a:
    Big ol’ 6” 7/16-14 grade 8 bolt.

The bolt is the perfect length for the frame. As a heads up, the inner wall of the frame there is THICK, and I highly recommend stepping up the bit size on your way to 1/2”.

Bluetribal likes this.
  3. GonzoShinyPants

GonzoShinyPants

Media:
    Awesome man, great info! No this is not my post at all, a group effort to provide info. That is my plan, too, on the schedule for Saturday.

Backing up a bit, for my part I found the little black clips on the running boards pretty easy and didn't lose a single one - put a little piece of tape on them as you go and they won't fly off (well 1 of mine went a few feet, that's it). For removing them, insert a smaller flat head screwdriver on each side, push them in and then twist them in opposite directions and pry back. They come off pretty easy. Wear gloves in case your screwdriver slips so you don't cut your hand.

4. Bluetribal

Bluetribal SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I am thinking about removing my sliders this Summer to get a nice new paint job on them plus I need to fix one nutcert on the bottom of the frame. I may look into the through bolt for the front two bolts especially on the Drivers side skid that only has two legs.

5. James C

James C

Media:
    Albums:
    I still haven’t bolted the bottom of the PS middle arm, but I’m thinking that the plate with welded nuts is the way to go. Either that or a thicker plate with threaded holes. There are a few rectangular holes in the frame to drop it into

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.