Operation Cowl Vent (1 Viewer)

Is your cowl vent operational?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems that most early cruisers have operational cowl vents, but that some models ('74 in particular) have non-operational cowl vents. Just wondering if this is a coincidence that mine just looks like it never was operational, or maybe this is a recurring trend that suggestions cowl vents were an option at some point.

the poll is cool, but it doesn't give info on the date of manufacture.

after you vote, reply to the post and put in your d.o.m.

jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

3/72 fj40 -- operational (still leaks like a mofo)

my 67 fj45 works. My buddies late 74 works(worked) but he has blocked it off with a plate

9/70 Works like a charm! :D

'78 has no vent, no slotted panel. Just smooth sheet metal.

71 works but since it was sitting before i bought it an animal built its nest in there and when i open the vent bark and other sh!t covers me -- and yes i have cleaned all the crap out and pulled all heating and vent ducts out but still sh!t goes everywhere espically into my shoes :mad:
i know i need to clean better but my frame it more of a concern then this vent

69 cowl, non operational vent due to the CO (versus a PO) putting the rig on a diet and cutting out all the unnecessary garbage... :D

A non-venting cowl vent with drain holes? Makes no sense! It must have had the mechanism in there once!

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=4021;start=0#msg29784 date=1059701943]
A non-venting cowl vent with drain holes? Makes no sense! It must have had the mechanism in there once!
[/quote]
Mine has the drain holes. If it didn't it would fill up with water. It has the grill covering like normal, just the flap that should be opening is not and was not ever able too. This I would assume is how all the other non-functioning-from-the-factory ones are as well.

Must have been optional. Why else have it like that?

73 with a working vent.

Anyone have an owner's manual from 74 up? Usually they marked optional items (like HEATER!) as "optional". I have a '72 manual but it just describes the vent as it is.

Mine also has the drain holes. If it didn't it would fill up with water as well. It has the grill covering like normal, the flap looks like it should open but it doesnt. Stupid design! This is way my floor is rusted ot on the drivers side.

'75 with drain holes and a non-functioning vent. Has grill but does not work. The vented air on my cruiser comes from the vent on the passenger side between door and the apron.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom