ONSC Chat (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the next cars in coffee here in Raleigh NC.
would any other ONSC members be interested in attending.

I more likely will go since it’s only 5 miles from my house.

4th Sunday every month ( 27august23)
9:00-11:00
IMG_4194.jpeg

I'm not sure exactly what stupid looks like but this is the closest I've seen in a little bit.

Off the current topic....If you had the opportunity to get a 100 series with factory rear e-locker or a newer 2000ish 100 series which would you prefer? I have read all the posts about lockers vs ATRAC. I owned a 2007 previously and have "wheeled" my triple locked 80 hardly ever really using the front locker and putting the rear and CD through some exercise.
Thoughts?

@AWOLDoc the early 100 series have 2 pinion front third member and are inherently weaker than the four pinion installed in newer versions. My experience is with my ‘99 with e-locker rear and two pinion front that I shattered (front). I currently prefer the e-locker to the ATRAC for two reasons: 1. Run the one you brung! 2. Wheel slippage is minimal.

ATRAC requires steady rpm (1800 I think) to activate and when done properly it is really cool to watch the show. Wheels spin, truck bounces, ATRAC senses and adjusts accordingly. It gets over most obstacles but does not look graceful to me. There does not really feel like there is a connection between man and machine.

E-locker requires maintenance/cycling to ensure its ready when you need it. It is a challenge to turn off under load so that you can perform a tight turn. Usually I stop and back up to disengage. Truthfully, I only engage the locker in what I feel are hairy situations. I’m used to wheeling my 80 open open with light pressure on the brakes to activate “poor mans lockers” so the e-locker in my 100 astounds me when I use it.

That is what I have read as well. 2 pinion front third member is what has me worried. The 2003 and newer is better from what I have read, but installing a rear locker, either Harrop or ARB, is beyond my capability.
I love the lockers in my 80 even though I don't really need them most of the time.

Harrop e-lockers are really straightforward with the only real modification being a drilled hole in the top of the housing for the two wires to come through. If you have ever removed your ring & pinion for new bearings, it's not much different.

A-trac only works if you are rolling less than 5mph and keep the RPMs under 2K. If you tap the brakes or exceed 2K, then it automatically disengages. But, for those used to push-button lockers, it is a different style of driving. You have to stay steady in the throttle while it makes awful noises and slowly makes its way over/through the obstacle. There is no bumping it, or revving-easing off-revving when you use A-trac.

That is what I have read as well. 2 pinion front third member is what has me worried. The 2003 and newer is better from what I have read, but installing a rear locker, either Harrop or ARB, is beyond my capability.
I love the lockers in my 80 even though I don't really need them most of the time.
Go with the rear locked '98-'99 and put an ARB air locker in the front. The locker is expensive but this kills two birds with one stone. First off, you'll be triple locked. Secondly, the ARB locker replaces the weak two pinion carrier with a super strong unit that is not prone to failure. The end result will be a large, comfy 100 series that drives on the trail just like your good ol' 80 without having to rely on fancy pants ATRAC getting you out of trouble.

Yep, that makes the most sense to me as well. Thanks for all the replies.

Go with the rear locked '98-'99 and put an ARB air locker in the front. The locker is expensive but this kills two birds with one stone. First off, you'll be triple locked. Secondly, the ARB locker replaces the weak two pinion carrier with a super strong unit that is not prone to failure. The end result will be a large, comfy 100 series that drives on the trail just like your good ol' 80 without having to rely on fancy pants ATRAC getting you out of trouble.
I have a triple locked 04. I lock the rear and use a-trac on the front axle and rarely in engage the front locker. Works well. Done Daniel a few times. However I have to say get the 1999 and put in a front locker and be triple locked for less. The 5 speed is nice however not that nice. The solid front carrier helps a ton on the 2 pinion front diff. Enjoy luxury off roading. Baha. 100 nut over here.

hell of a weekend driving across North Carolina back roads. For having no plans. We ended up getting into quite a few things and explored some real cool parts of nc that I had never seen before.

IMG_4374.jpeg

After learning to wrench on the LCs, I’ve begun paying more attention to my wife’s daily driver (‘15 Highlander) and doing things myself. The coolant was leaking, so I investigated and figured out it was the t-stat housing gasket. No problem…ordered the parts from Toyota and went ahead and threw in new radiator hoses as well. Topped off coolant and kept an eye on it until the parts arrived. Got the parts in, knocked out the replacements in about an hour. Refilled the coolant and…it was full of oil. FML. I don’t see this costing me less than a couple suspension kits for the 80s. They will be on the road one day, just not today unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom