ONSC Chat (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have State Farm - was told that it was covered but had to pay deductible (even for a chip and not a replacement windshield)......

I'm going to have to get my windshield replaced too which is 100% covered by my insurance, but not sure how to get them to agree to OEM glass and correct replacement procedure. Been holding out as long as possible.

I had a rock put a ding in my windshield the other day. No cracks yet, just a small divot.

I’ve never needed to have something like this repaired but I know that it used to be an option to replacement. Can somebody tell me if it’s a worthwhile approach?

For reference, the chip is behind the rear view mirror. Not in the way, but I’d like to stem the spread since the glass is clear and the gasket doesn’t leak.
If you have a non leaking windscreen, it might be easier to call insurance company and they can send the guys that add the clear epoxy that will fill the hole and prevent/stop crack propagation.
The catch with the epoxy fix is it can't have rained since you got the chip.
When I lived in Florida a window chip is automatically free replacement paid for by insurance. I just got a rock chip last week on my daily's windshield it has since cracked and needs to be replaced.
Have State Farm - was told that it was covered but had to pay deductible (even for a chip and not a replacement windshield)......
I'm going to have to get my windshield replaced too which is 100% covered by my insurance, but not sure how to get them to agree to OEM glass and correct replacement procedure. Been holding out as long as possible.

As someone that worked at Safelite I can shed a bit of light on this.
@JohnVee call safelite to come out or drop it by my old work to see if they can fill the crack before it expands. The can tell you on the spot if they can do it, BUT it is not on them if it does crack during the fix. They are injecting a resin at very high pressure to get in every part of that crack and it is possible it can cause it to crack more but at that point it would have cracked more anyway down the line. They can then set up a replacement for you.
Most insurances will pay the repair for you with no cost to you so its worth a try.

@BMThiker never heard that before maybe for other companies type of resin, but with how much it rained in Charlotte i'm sure I would have wondered why all our repair techs were sitting around doing nothing for weeks at a time.

@OB-1 the OEM replacement is entirely up to your agent, how much pressure and a clout you can use on them. They aren't cheap at all so don't be surprised if they decline it. In that case they will cover the cost of the PPG or whatever WS they have in stock at the local safelite and you can always opt to cover the difference to an OEM piece. As far as correct installation here is the run down on that. The 80 series has a gasket WS instead of a molding set. This isn't used by any vehicle anymore so it isn't something that happens every day at even a company as big as safelite. It isn't that the 80 is special its that most domesting trucks stopped using gaskets in the 80's so it isn't common. A modern WS is epoxied to the WS frame and then the moldings, that are purely cosmetic, are put on top. A gasket WS has to be epoxied both sides to the glass as well as being "popped" into place which creates pressure. (lots of times the glass can crack purely from this)
Now if you get them to do OEM you should be golden. No company is going to risk an inexperienced tech doing the install and breaking an expensive piece of glass because if they break it on the install they need to cover the cost of the new replacement OEM. (i'm not saying that you may not get someone that only glues one side of the glass to the gasket, that can happen but I can make sure you get a good tech and you can also show them the FSM papers at the same time) If you don't get OEM you can still stress to the call taker that you know it is hard to do. I'd also suggest taking it into the shop instead of having them come to you. Most of the time the shop is full of very seasoned guys, and trainees, that don't want to do the few hundred mile drive every day doing glass. They also make bank in the shop also. Since you are near to Charlotte i'd say call your agent figure out the OEM stuff first, if you ultimately have to go with a non oem glass it isn't the end of the world. The inside of my cruiser is bone dry, despite sitting in charleston through quite a few hurricanes and the swamp thing that was growing on the body and all the seals, and the PPG has been in there and offroaded with it in there since 2013.
At the same time i'll reach out to my old boss and see what good experienced techs are still working at the shop down there so you can request one of them directly.

Pretty cool piggy love on the FB page of the nearest OHV park to me

1601655466991.png

Appreciate the great info and advice Al. I'll have to see how the exact procedure is for the 100 series, not sure how similar to the 80.

Appreciate the great info and advice Al. I'll have to see how the exact procedure is for the 100 series, not sure how similar to the 80.

Ahh its a hundo... forgot you had that and not the 80 anymore even though I know Johnvee has your 80 duh.

I'm not entirely sure on the procedure for a hundo.... I think they are moldings and not gaskets. Same thing though once you figure it all out I can find a good tech at the Charlotte branch.

Al's old Satellite did a fine job on my 470 windshield last year. Even paid for my Uber home because it was gonna be a longer wait than they had estimated. I used aftermarket glass and have been happy. Granted, I didn't let them replace my wiper blades for the astronomical sum they wanted! But I did install new blades that same evening.

Al's old Satellite did a fine job on my 470 windshield last year. Even paid for my Uber home because it was gonna be a longer wait than they had estimated. I used aftermarket glass and have been happy. Granted, I didn't let them replace my wiper blades for the astronomical sum they wanted! But I did install new blades that same evening.

Haha the wiper blades..... always with those damn things. More of a headache for us than anything else when we replace them and some one uses them.the next day on an iced WS and then wants new ones.

If an older chevy van can climb the front of Daniel is it even that hard? :flipoff2:

My buddies video. Sharing because of my bike wreck. 🤣

his van made everything look easy last weekend.

Best tag Eva

If this does not move you, just a little bit, you might want to go to the Doctor and check for a heart beat.

Well this sucks... came out to this this morning after my trip to Fayetteville yesterday. Was towing my motorcycle and enclosed trailer and felt a little looseness in the rear but chalked it up to dirty air coming off of the semi's in front of me. Guess I was wrong!

Time to shop for a new set. These KO2's have 65k on them and this isn't fixable safely.

Looking at trying out the Cooper AT3 XLTs as I've read good things! Any other suggestions are welcome though. Looking at 275/70/18 again in a tire that sees 95% road travel. Was happy with the KO2's.

2jCTmovxQHemUQ1F%7yBkg.jpg

y7bhrnOaRLOHl8O74eNixQ.jpg

%mPFRWH4Ry23QV1FeBky2Q.jpg

Wow. That's a 65k tire??? Impressive. Looks like a piece of a piston ring :eek: Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom