Onesprung60: 1967 FJ40 Frame Off Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also changed the fuel pump to the earlier style so I could delete the return line, and changed the fittings I had put on the glass bowl fuel filter to be closer to OEM (since the original stuff is not available this will have to do).

The front seats are now bolted in and the seat belts installed. Hope to have it running in a day or two and then keep plugging away on the fiberglass top and rear hatch.

A few more pics; fuel filter, current state of the overall engine bay, and current interior:
DSC07720 (Medium).JPG
DSC07723 (Medium).JPG
DSC07734 (Medium).JPG

Last one for now, the headlights, turn signals and wipers are all now operational. It sure is nice to see some kind of life back into this truck after being down for so long!

Hopefully the next post(s) will be about the maiden test drive!
DSC07730 (Medium).JPG

IT RUNS!

Tonight I finished up plumbing the heater box, bled the brakes and clutch and was able to get it started and broke the engine in.

Once it ran for about 25 minutes or so I took it for a little spin around the neighborhood. She runs great, I balanced the 2F when I rebuilt it and it is running smooth as can be. Huge milestone for me, and it sure feels good to hit this mark. Now onto finishing up the last of the bodywork and paint and then finish up all the other little details and get it all cleaned up.

One picture finally out in the sun after stretching the legs a bit:
DSC07739 (Medium).jpg

IT RUNS!

Tonight I finished up plumbing the heater box, bled the brakes and clutch and was able to get it started and broke the engine in.

Once it ran for about 25 minutes or so I took it for a little spin around the neighborhood. She runs great, I balanced the 2F when I rebuilt it and it is running smooth as can be. Huge milestone for me, and it sure feels good to hit this mark. Now onto finishing up the last of the bodywork and paint and then finish up all the other little details and get it all cleaned up.

Awesome!! I bet that was one sweet ride :)
How did your brake master work out?

How did your brake master work out?

The brakes are bled, but I haven't adjusted the shoes yet. Right now the pedal is quite low, but I expect that will change once the shoes are adjusted correctly. I drove it maybe a 1/2 mile at about 15-25 mph, so not a great test of the brakes. Should have a better report on the new master setup in a few weeks.

IT RUNS!

Good job Will ;)

Still plugging away at this, been doing a little body work to get all the paint finished up and crossing off a bunch of small stuff off the list as well. Finished up restoring the horns, adding some detail to the warn hubs rebuilt the choke cable.
iphone pictures 327 (Medium).jpg
iphone pictures 329 (Medium).jpg

Also got around to making a new heater duct. This is the piece that connects the plastic duct to the heater housing. Its not available anymore for the early style heaters so I made a new one out of black vinyl. I think it turned out pretty good. I had some extra vinyl so I made a few more and posted them for sale here: Heater Ducts
iphone pictures 332 (Medium).jpg

Still making progress, slowly but surely!

The running boards are now on, got the metal stuff painted and cut out some white pyramid vinyl. Pics are worth 1,000 words:
DSC07827 (Medium).JPG
DSC07829 (Medium).JPG
DSC07836 (Medium).JPG

Also finished up some light body work, painted and installed the darn doors, rear hatch header and front door upper frames.
IMG_0011 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0012 (Medium).JPG

barn doors (Medium).JPG

All my time lately has been getting the fiberglass top ready to put on. The rails were in near perfect condition so I decided not to separate them from the fiberglass, but I did remove the windshield support.

It took forever to get the top sanded down, sometime in the past someone had put some type of undercoat like substance on top of the fiberglass and then painted over that. I went through about 30 sanding discs by the time it was done.

Last night I was able to get a coat of epoxy resin on top of the fiberglass. Now I just need to smooth the resin, prime, paint and install the headliner then it will be ready to go back on the truck!
DSC07838 (Medium).JPG
DSC07841 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0006 (Medium).JPG

You do awesome work. I've enjoyed this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom