Builds One World, One LX Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday we again had grandiose plans which didn’t quite workout. We wanted to visit Mt. Ranier National Park, but the primary road was still closed. We decided to take a back way in to see if we could squeeze in a hike. The plan was originally to take the Carbon River entrance into the park. This entrance is quite remote And there doesn’t seem to be much info about it. Of course once we got all the way out there, we found out that the entrance has been closed for some time. As a backup, we decided to take the Cayada Creek trail (or FS7820 I think) up to Coplay lake where we could access the Clearwater Wilderness. That didn’t work out very well either as it had started snowing on our way up and soon we got to the point that the trail was impassable. It was also so heavily logged that the scenery was pretty bleh and depressing To go along with the weather.

Between the clearcut forests and the surprisingly poor maintenance in the area, it was a somewhat disappointing day. I normally have a high tolerance for those sorts of things, but you don’t even see many BLM areas that are as bad off. On the other hand, the Carbon River is stunning and we had a good lunch in the historic town of Wilkerson:

EFAE0AC3-ADF7-45A7-A0FB-163DF5243DAB.jpeg

3B6B5ABF-0F4C-4807-851D-3A8D8E2BC61C.jpeg

One of many remnants of the park entrance:

C25EA9D9-4515-483B-8952-1B442A3D1708.jpeg

It was still fun to get out and explore.

That’s a bummer. The Gifford Pinchot wilderness south of rainier is a great explore, but I didn’t think you’d be ranging so far afield from the peninsula.

That’s a bummer. The Gifford Pinchot wilderness south of rainier is a great explore, but I didn’t think you’d be ranging so far afield from the peninsula.

Yeah, we like to really get out and about and look for things way off the beaten path. Despite how I made it sound, it was still a great day. We were mostly prepared for the potential of road closures and such, and it goes with the territory when you plan things based on USGS maps from 1987 😂

Yeah, we like to really get out and about and look for things way off the beaten path. Despite how I made it sound, it was still a great day. We were mostly prepared for the potential of road closures and such, and it goes with the territory when you plan things based on USGS maps from 1987 😂
I use the USFS 2016 overlay on Gaia and I still find closed/overgrown roads. And I've been all over GPNF.

While we were waiting for the tide to come in so we could get the kayaks in, I was able to squeeze in a ride through Capitol State Forest which is actually quite close to where we are staying. It was amazingly easy to get to and is a very nice park. I was surprised at how nice it was for being essentially a suburban park. There were a couple o meth-head type campsites, but mostly it was very well maintained and had a ton of trails ranging from a step below asphalt all the way to muddy hog trail. There was some clear cutting, but it was mostly just nice forest land. There were a lot of side trails which were clearly made for more adventurous types. I stayed on the main roads for the most part, but I did take a few of the less muddy 4x4 routes.

This was a rougher trail which roughly paralleled the main trail. I went up this and got a ways on the trail before it became too muddy to risk with such a limited amount of time. I turned around and came back down which somehow seemed a lot worse than going up. I slid down in one place and my front bumper kissed a bit of a tree but there was no harm done. It was pretty fun because it was no too muddy, but was pretty steep.

56D00C53-4FA5-4CE1-8FFD-946B550C3CC5.jpeg

BBCA1074-52D3-4747-B6E2-EB6AE78168B3.jpeg

63A47152-3D68-40CE-AE6F-80BFF803C328.jpeg

E21AEA41-C610-4142-ADCD-38E0A3F4B39F.jpeg

Incredible pictures and thread. I'm considering the same wheel/tire combo you're running, for a '13 LX and curious if you did anything to address the rubbing in low mentioned on page 3, or has it been acceptable as-is?

Incredible pictures and thread. I'm considering the same wheel/tire combo you're running, for a '13 LX and curious if you did anything to address the rubbing in low mentioned on page 3, or has it been acceptable as-is?

Hey. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

I don’t actually ever go to L mode. I lower it to load things on the roof rack, but I haven’t driven it in low mode. I had to do some massaging of the fender liner, but now I have no rubbing at all, but again I never go to L.

I have to guess that I probably would have extensive rubbing in L.

I should also add that I really like the +25 offset with the 285/75/17 combo if you can make them work. With the stock front bumper it may be more of an issue, but I think a lot of people run 285/70/17 which is also a good size with this offset.

I should also add that I really like the +25 offset with the 285/75/17 combo if you can make them work. With the stock front bumper it may be more of an issue, but I think a lot of people run 285/70/17 which is also a good size with this offset.

Appreciate it, :beer:👍

How was the mosquito pressure over on the hood canal And around Shelton? Considering heading over this weekend . . . Did you grab any gps coords for swell primitive spots I could borrow?

How was the mosquito pressure over on the hood canal And around Shelton? Considering heading over this weekend . . . Did you grab any gps coords for swell primitive spots I could borrow?

I can't say that we ever saw any mosquitos while we were there at all. We never even unpacked the bug spray. It was still pretty cold overnight though, so it might have been just a little too early. A week is a long time in the mosquito lifecycle though so by now, who knows.

I'm pretty sure we had our InReach on pretty much the whole trip. We didn't mark any spots specifically, but we did note quite a few, but not really near the canal at all. There seemed to be a few nice places up above Skokomish up NF23 and around Rock Creek and Spider Lake, and then further towards Wynoochee, there were dispersed sites pretty much all around Sotsop. It may be a bit of a drive, but there were a ton of nice dispersed spots around Wynoochee Lake.

I think there were some spots going up Hamma Hamma Road as well, but they were pretty close to the road.

Capitol State Forest had quite a few spots but I am not sure if dispersed is actually legal there. We didn't get to see too much of Tuhuya, but I would be surprised if there weren't good spots there.

Let me know if any of the above are of interest and I can download the tracks and see if I can pull out some coordinates.

I’ll try up off NF23 if we go west. Thanks much.

Love what you did here.
I will follow what you did here.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Once you start modding your LX, you should post up pics in the official LX570 pic thread. There are some pretty cool build sin there as well if you need more inspiration:

So speaking of the next one.....

I hadn’t been planning on adding any lights, but I was gifted a set of Rigid 360 6” ambers awhile back. once I received them, I started thinking about it and thought I might try them out. My preference would have been to go with the ARB Solis lights, but I decided that if used these, I can always upgrade. Plus, they were gratis so I can’t really complain. I do kind of like that they have a backlight. I also really like the rigid fogs in the dissent bumper. They do a good job of covering the sides of the road and have more than once caught a deer when I never would have seen it with my headlights. The 360s are spots, so I think it is a good combo.

When I finally decided to install them, I realized that there was not really a great way to mount them. I dropped by a fab shop and they said they could make something if I came up with a prototype. So I tried a few different things and finally decided on a mounting bracket that would mount to the decorative plate that sits above the recovery points as this seemed like the best option that wouldn’t require drilling into the bumper and would allow me to use the bracket that came with the lights. I took some 16 gauge sheet metal stock I had and fabricated some prototypes but they came out so good that I decided the only benefit to taking it to a shop would be to get it made in SS. I may still do that, but for now, I sanded everything down, 3 coats of rattle can auto primer, 3 coats of matte black, and 3 coats of matte clear coat. I think they came out pretty good.

FAF5C0A3-DE62-4883-A905-BA8518FB74F2.jpeg
B9A04709-70A1-4836-896F-62EF250AC31F.jpeg

The finished product:

F609E7E8-BE56-469D-996A-90735EA68477.jpeg
63ACDD04-56C5-4922-AB91-29AC8E8C1982.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom