one step ahead... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
and two steps back...

just had to vent for a sec...replacing rotors and learning as I go. Got my paper FSM today and read through it like it was the Sears-Robuck. Figured I had this project licked, as I only had to reassemble the components...made the mistake of having a beer before the final step and promptly stripped a hub bolt. Now add $250 to the project total.

sigh....oh well, hey, where to buy new brake calipers ??

If non- oem Rock auto for brake calipers.

So, the steering knuckle ears you stripped out?

So, the steering knuckle ears you stripped out?

No (?), and I am happy to show my ignorance here....but it was one of the six "bolts" that the hub cover attaches to.

I haven't found an OEM $$ for the calipers, all I've seen are rebuilt. Quality is more important than $$, but I haven't had the chance to do any research yet...screw up the hub and then "time to cook the steaks".

eh, you don't need all 6 of those... put it back together until you can find a decent replacement in the classifieds. That is an easy swap.
Did you strip the threads in the hub itself by using a breaker bar to install the studs? what the heck, man!?
Depending on the threads you stripped, you might be able to get a time-sert for a good repair.

eh, you don't need all 6 of those... put it back together until you can find a decent replacement in the classifieds. That is an easy swap.
Did you strip the threads in the hub itself by using a breaker bar to install the studs? what the heck, man!?
Depending on the threads you stripped, you might be able to get a time-sert for a good repair.
I agree with what Golgo13 said, thread inserts are your best friend when you make simple mistakes like this. Please take note, were talking about using a solid thin wall thread insert, not a Helicoil.
Coil Threaded Inserts | Solid Threaded Inserts | E-Z LOK
++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

Last edited:
No (?), and I am happy to show my ignorance here....but it was one of the six "bolts" that the hub cover attaches to.

I haven't found an OEM $$ for the calipers, all I've seen are rebuilt. Quality is more important than $$, but I haven't had the chance to do any research yet...screw up the hub and then "time to cook the steaks".
What are you calling "the hub cover"? Got pics?

3f66a32eaa0a8182e0082021a6d6ba9c.jpg

I think this is what he's calling a hub cover

1996-toyota-land-cruiser-wheel-hub-front-genuine-w0133-1929856-5117843.jpg

This is what i think he stripped the stud/bolt off in.

Last edited:
@Rifleman - we could guess all night. A stud is a stud and a bolt is a bolt, two different possible problems.

Ya, i hear what your saying, but since he's new to Land Cruiser's, he may not know that what he is calling a "bolt", is in fact a stud. Who knows, maybe he stripped one of the bolts holding the rotor to the hub itself, i guess we'll have to wait till he posts again to find out.

Sorry for the confusion folks...new to the game and terminology...Rifleman has the correct pic and it was the "stud" in the pic labeled "rear".

I think I might have been a bit too aggressive with the brass hammer (nut even with stud) when dislodging the cone washers and mucked up the threads...the nuts were a bit sticky during reassembly, which I thought was just rust, and even though I went slow and easy it stripped the stud.

Did you really mess up the threads the entire length? Did you try to run a die back over it and clean them up?
I have found a tap and die set to be a huge help in working with older vehicles (and newer ones).....it takes just a few seconds to clean up any issues prior to reassembling. In fact I had to use it last weekend on a brand new Toyota radiator for my 200 series.....

"Did you try to run a die back over it and clean them up"

My set is SAE...need to get a metric. I did try it anyway, but nothing "fit".

The stud stripped about half way down.

Last edited:
Ricky,
A lot of us here in NC have been using NAPA calipers. Roughly half the price of the OEM remanufactured units and come painted black. Post up some pics of your damage so we can be exact in our replies to you here.
x2
IIRC, a while back @cruiserdan noted that Napa rebuilt calipers were in fact the old Toyota castings, restored to like new condition, for much less than OEM prices. As a matter of fact, I think I remember him mentioning that he'd seen some new calipers in Toyota's rebuilt stock, when they felt the need to bring up their inventory levels.

@cruiserdan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

x2
IIRC, a while back @cruiserdan noted that Napa rebuilt calipers were in fact the old Toyota castings, restored to like new condition, for much less than OEM prices. As a matter of fact, I think I remember him mentioning that he'd seen some new calipers in Toyota's rebuilt stock, when they felt the need to bring up their inventory levels.

@cruiserdan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't me. I think it was beno.

Ricky, if the threads on the stud itself are damaged, don't worry about it, just unscrew the stud from the hub, go to your local Toyota dealer, and buy a new one, they are only a few bucks each. While your at Toyota, it might be a good idea to buy a replacement cone washer, and nut too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom