OME spring/shackle bushings disintegrated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally trying to get back on my '80 restoration after 17 years. First order of business is to replace the OME bushings installed in 2006 that have disintegrated. I noticed a few years ago and have since heard/read conflicting info about the issue. Was there an issue in the past that's now resolved with OME bushings or did I use the wrong kind of grease that caused them to break down (don't remember what I used)? I don't have a problem going back with OME but if there's a better alternative I'm all ears. OME 2" lift springs w/ 35mm eyes and 15mm shackles. Feel like I'm starting from scratch again!

IMG_1924.jpg

Everything brakes down, some last longer than others. Some simply hide their breaking down like rubber bushings.

Finally trying to get back on my '80 restoration after 17 years. First order of business is to replace the OME bushings installed in 2006 that have disintegrated. I noticed a few years ago and have since heard/read conflicting info about the issue. Was there an issue in the past that's now resolved with OME bushings or did I use the wrong kind of grease that caused them to break down (don't remember what I used)? I don't have a problem going back with OME but if there's a better alternative I'm all ears. OME 2" lift springs w/ 35mm eyes and 15mm shackles. Feel like I'm starting from scratch again!

View attachment 3287637
Was it driven since 2006? Definitely doesn’t seem like it should have done that.

My OME bushings did the same thing in less than 5 years, I don’t think it’s the grease. They are poly, they crack and end up crumbling.

I've had older sets of ome bushings do that, I think there was a batch for a year or so that just failed. 3 trucks worth that I installed did that, powder was all that was left. Circa 2006 ish? Even had a set in the bag disentegrate. I've also had some last as long as the springs. Luckily they are cheap. Little messy to clean up but a simple fix. Nothing you did incorrect.

I wish it had been driven since 2006! Nope, still a long ways from back on the road. Jim and I talked about it a couple years ago and per his recommendation I bought a set of Energy Suspension bushings but didn't consider that the OME spring eyes are bigger than stock. Looked on ES site but couldn't find bushings for the OME springs unless I missed them. A little reluctant to go back with OME bushings but if that's my only choice, so be it.

I have Energy Suspension bushings in my FJ40 that were installed in 1991. They are slightly faded from the original red color. 'Nuff said. I have (in the past) ground down bushing flanges to fit (in my example) old, narrow ConFerr shackles. I've heard of people freezing bushings and then drilling them to size, too.

SOR's site (at one time) had an elaborate spring bushing chart that showed the ID and OD of about every LC spring and shackle. This is the closest thing I could find with dimensions: Land Cruiser Polyurethane Leaf Spring & Shackle Bushings - https://www.sor.com/cat289.sor

In the process of replacing the OME bushings on my FJ40. They lasted several years, but my truck gets limited miles per year. My bushing didn’t disintegrate like yours.

Bought new ones from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

Hopefully, they will last a while. Planning on using white lithium grease sparingly on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom