OME lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sorry if I missed it on the forum at all, but in my quick search I couldn't find it. I have a 2.5 OME lift on my 1985 cruiser right now. the shocks and springs are pretty worn and I am looking to do an upgrade. I have never messed with suspension lifts before so bear with me. I am just looking to update my suspension to the 4 inch OME suspension. videos and links I have found talk about caster angles would I have to mess with that upon installation of the lift?

Thank you for your time and sorry if this a newb question. just want to get all of my facts straight before any purchases.

Let's see pictures of your current set up. What makes you think they're worn? Any idea how long the lift has been installed?
Cannot provide photos as of right now as I am on vacation without my cruiser:( but there is a bit of sagging in the rear and I pulled a shock off not to long ago when I was just checking things out and it was no good.

I'll recommend Iron Pig Off Road. My whole setup ran @1650 shipped. Their customer service was excellent. It should be here in about a week, I had the $ saved and I shopped around. Fishtown I checked here in Ft Worth and spring shop 15 minutes from the house wanted about 600-700 to re arch if I brought them in to the shop it would be @ 1200 if they did the job. I think it's a decision based on overall condition of 30 plus year old steel, your budget and what your plans for your cruiser are. I wanted some lift, medium rear setup for carrying gear, hunting, camping, and towing trailer. Re arch not for me. Either way suspension upgrades have to be done to kep our rigs rolling decent and safe. :beer:

Not everybody can dish out $1800 for a new lift any any given time. Springs can be re-arched. Never been a fan of the "just get a new one" mentality. To each their own.

Sorry FISHTOWN but springs cant be re arched. That's not the way to fix a suspension problem. I run the suspension department at my work and that's
not the way to fix a sagging problem!!! Man up and spend the $$$!!!

Not everybody can dish out $1800 for a new lift any any given time. Springs can be re-arched. Never been a fan of the "just get a new one" mentality. To each their own.

Where there's a will, there's always a way! If you got the will...

Here is your way!

You're welcome :)

Sorry FISHTOWN but springs cant be re arched. That's not the way to fix a suspension problem. I run the suspension department at my work and that's
not the way to fix a sagging problem!!! Man up and spend the $$$!!!

So then how old is too old for springs then? Not being sarcastic at all - I'm actually curious. My frustration comes from the PO of my truck. He removed a perfectly good OME heavy lift because it was 7-8 years old and he wanted "new" suspension. He said it was to lower the truck, but he could've done that by removing a leaf. I'm not a suspension expert by any stretch of the mind, but it just seemed to me that there was a better way to do it than to remove it all and replace it.

But hey, who am I to say? I'm just a poor a$$ with a wife, kid, mortgage, student debt, and a cruiser! :flipoff2:

We sell every part individually as well fwiw. Things like shackles and spring pins can last a lifetime so reusing those will absolutely save a good chunk of change.

So then how old is too old for springs then? Not being sarcastic at all - I'm actually curious. My frustration comes from the PO of my truck. He removed a perfectly good OME heavy lift because it was 7-8 years old and he wanted "new" suspension. He said it was to lower the truck, but he could've done that by removing a leaf. I'm not a suspension expert by any stretch of the mind, but it just seemed to me that there was a better way to do it than to remove it all and replace it.

But hey, who am I to say? I'm just a poor a$$ with a wife, kid, mortgage, student debt, and a cruiser! :flipoff2:

If your springs are old and worn out and not holding anymore arch then we recommend a new pair. In our experience
sending them down to the plant to be re arched always causes a problem and a unhappy customer. The springs just go
back to sagging or causing a terrible ride for the customer.

Now some people believe in having them re arched. From what I have seen it never works right. That why I said to just buy new.
You could also have your local spring plant make another leaf for you. That sometimes makes people happy.

If your springs are old and worn out and not holding anymore arch then we recommend a new pair. In our experience
sending them down to the plant to be re arched always causes a problem and a unhappy customer. The springs just go
back to sagging or causing a terrible ride for the customer.

Now some people believe in having them re arched. From what I have seen it never works right. That why I said to just buy new.
You could also have your local spring plant make another leaf for you. That sometimes makes people happy.

Sure, but at what point are they "old and worn out"? I understand that happens. Especially those who are still riding on the original springs. It just seems to me that a good set of springs should last 10-15 years. Maybe less if they're abused. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom