OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys, ARB has been great to work with. If they clunk call ARB and ask for Erik. You can even say I told you to ask for him.
They will send you replacements free of charge. The latest update is great.
Getting colder here in NY and no councils on the new set I’ve had for 6 months.
Still dialing in the settings though.

Stock weight.
Front C4R6
Rear C4R6
Still playing

Bringing this back up to see what some of you all have settled in at if you have had these for a while. I found the stock settings after install a little squishy and the vehicle would sway a bit. My initial settings after install were Front: C2R6, Rear: C1R6. I ran that for 2 or 3 weeks and wanted to try something a little stiffer and was told to crank up the compression a bit.

I changed both the front and rears to C3R6 and have been running that for about a 2-3 weeks. But, it has seemed a little too rough (too stiff and bouncy over bumps). I'm going back to my original settings today and will go from there. Is there anyone with the BP-51s with a similar set up as mine (front bumper, 285/65/18, and sliders)? I just haven't been able to find the right comfort setting.

Also, one thing I noticed when I first adjusted is that the two different readings on each shock don't always match up with each other. For instance, below are pictures of my passenger side front shock. The readings on the bumper side are right at C2R6. But, the readings on the rear side of the shock are a little higher. You can see in the second picture it's not in the middle of the setting, but at the end closer to C3R7. Not sure if it makes a difference which side you go by, but I will look at all shocks to see if any have a similar or larger difference in readings on the same shock.

JPmMpK1.jpg

z9Zz7No.jpg

I just ordered my SPC UCA's from Slee to be delivered to a buddy who'll be carrying them over to Angola for me. Hopefully July will find me in Joburg getting the BP-51's fitted, along with a bull bar, winch bumper and a bunch of other stuff.

Everyone is pretty much agreed that aftermarket UCA's are needed after 50mm/2" lift. What I'd like to know is, can the front BP-51 coilovers give you closer to 65-75mm/2.5-3" of lift? If so, can the harshness of the preload be tuned with rebound and compression settings? What about the rear? Does OME have a rear spring taller than 50mm?

Preload is all about truck weight compensation...where comp & rebound is about response to suspension movement. You might be able to help the perceived ride a little, but remember that coilover preload used to achieve height rather that weight compensation will definitely lead to a stiffer ride.

If you just want a bit more lift, you might be better off adding the Toyota spacers up front. This will let you raise the front without preload that exceeds proper weight compensation, since spacers lift without preload.

Just remember that it will change you CV angles similarly to additional lift and will mean another alignment if done separately (after you already align post suspension install).

I noticed that ARB doesn't do a 50mm rear spring lift. That is a serious bummer. I actually like the rake of the 200 series. I tow an off-road caravan 95% of the time when in the bush, and the rake levels out with the caravan attached.

I'm set on the BP-51's as they're the best one can get here in southern Africa. I was just hoping for a little more ride height. I don't want to ruin the ride though. Will keep the preload set for 50mm lift with the bull bar/winch. If I add the spacers in the front, is there anything to do for the rear?

As for alignment, I'd have the suspension and UCA's installed together to do 1 alignment. At what height do I need to be concerned about CV angles on the 200?

Can anyone give me some advice as to which rear springs to get with the BP-51's? I'm going down to Joburg, South Africa in July to get the cruiser kitted out. I'll be purchasing a front bull bar w/winch and skids, rear bar w/single swing out, will add 285/75 R17 KO2's, and a few other bits. I tow an off-road caravan about every 2 weeks in to the bush, and on long trips too. My regular load is 3 kids w/ car seats, 2 adults and a stroller. Any recommendations as to a good OME spring to go for?

Just got these installed and was wondering if anyone has a similar setup as mine and what setting they use. We have arb bullbar, winch, sliders, & RTT. Need to check to see what the current setting are. Seems a bit bouncy.

Just got these installed and was wondering if anyone has a similar setup as mine and what setting they use. We have arb bullbar, winch, sliders, & RTT. Need to check to see what the current setting are. Seems a bit bouncy.

Let us know what you're at when you have a chance to check. I am somewhat similar to your setup, but no RTT. I have a TJM bullbar, no winch (but dual batteries and compressor), Slee sliders, and BFG KO2s at 42 psi. This was installed at Slee and they gave me the 200 back with very soft settings (Front: C2R6, Rear: C1R5). After searching the forums quite a bit and PMing with some members, I'm up to C5R8 on the front and rear. It is better, but still seems a little bouncy. I'm used to my previous vehicle which had Bilstein 5100s. Firmer ride than stock, but it was a great ride. I'm sure I can tune these BP-51s into something similar, but I'm just new to the setup.

Last edited:
Brasskey, I will check today. My woman drives the rig during the week and I've been in the middle of remodel stuff.

I've had the BP51s for 2 years and have not found the perfect setting. I have no additional weight and I'm at C4R7.

I've had the BP51s for 2 years and have not found the perfect setting. I have no additional weight and I'm at C4R7.

After two years of use, would you still have chosen them or opted for something else? Do you still prefer the ride and adjustability to the factory setup?

After two years of use, would you still have chosen them or opted for something else? Do you still prefer the ride and adjustability to the factory setup?
I had KO2's installed on the truck about a week before I got the BP-51s. That was a really nice ride, with the AT tires & stock suspension, and I have considered putting the stock stuff back on. I haven't tried adjusting the 51s yet, and I haven't taken this truck off road yet either.

I still like the BP51s, I hated the stock setup Way too soft. When I try to soften the BP51s I get an effect thats hard to explain. It compresses and then on rebound goes past neutral. The only way I have found to control this is to increase compression.

Anthony

Hello all,

I’m picking up a new to me 2013 LC tomorrow, and the first mod I’m doing is suspension, wheels (@Markuson, please don’t forget to send the pics of your spare wheels), and tires, follow shortly after by bumpers with carriers and winch, and will have a 24 gal LRA tank on order by next week.

I’d love to get your advice on what to order specifically in addition to BP-51s. It sounds like UCAs at a minimum, but I’d love to get some qualified opinions in the form of a “build sheet/list”.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I have a 6 hr drive back home tomorrow, so if anyone would rather talk it through than type it, send me a PM with your phone number.

I guess everyone is recovering from 4th of July still...

Also, does anyone have experience with full kit from Slee, "200 Series Heavy, OME BP-51 Kit, Part: ARB1248 - $3405.00"? I've been playing phone/email tag with Amory from Slee, but curious as to your thoughts.

Slee - Toyota 200 Series Land Cruiser Suspension

I drove the new vehicle home yesterday, kids are on me to get if off road worthy ASAP.

You need to figure out if you are going to install a rear bumper before you order the kit, depending on your loaded weight you need different springs for the back. The front strut assemblies are able to be adjusted depending on the Hight you want and if you have a front bumper. My rear springs were the lowest ones and they are not the route you want to go with the rear ARB back bumper with dual swing outs. The summer has kept me hopping with my two kids, Anthony had the next size up on the springs from his kit and sent them to me. He is running the next size up from those but wanted a little more lift. It is weekend, you will get more advise form members once Monday hits. PS. Anthony, I have not installed them yet, wife and kids are killing me and now they want to go to Disney for a week!

Thanks @jblatl. I’ve seen people recommend from ‘21s to ‘24s with a heavy bumper, and the aux tank will require even more lift. I lean toward a stiffer vehicle, I’ve had a couple Tundras and like the way a stiff truck feels. Will be curious to hear what Slee says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom