OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent an hour slogging through this thread. I hope that all the ARB users get resolution to the clunking. ARB has a great reputation but I know from past experience that at that price point I would be frustrated at being and R&D resource. But I get it, they are continuing to work towards a better product.

Having said all that, I am looking for a system for my 17 that firms up the ride w/o making it harsh. I do not plan any modifications to my LC beyond the suspension at the four corners. Stock weight and maybe an inch higher in the front. I plan on keeping the stock wheels. I realize a lot of folks here are doing larger builds.

Looks like Icon has multiple stages for the 200 Series. Differences being remote reservoirs, and front and rear control arms. If anyone has any greater insight into the differences in these systems, their applications for my goals, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to the ARB folks on getting the clunking sorted. I had a supercharged 2010 Dodge Challenger (before the Hellcat) with an aftermarket suspension and I chased clunking for six months. Springs.

I'm doing a similar deal with my '16, except I will be getting an ARB front bumper and winch. I will be doing mostly farm/ranch offroading. Spoke with a land cruiser installer out of Houston and he said for my intended use Icon stage 1 was fine. Don't need the reservoirs for light offroading and unnecessary to get control arms right now. I was interested in OME but I cannot buy into their setup until I see another winter roll by without people complaining left and right.

Won't the BP-51s require a rebuild at some point? I know initially talking to Slee when they first came out, this was their only concern, how and how easy to rebuild them was not clear. Maybe that's been worked over over the past year or two?

Mark,
Since the clunk appears to be repaired maybe it's time to start a thread or Google Forms/spreadsheet about settings. I've been slowly increasing compression and rebound ( and leaving it for a week) to my present setting and I think I've got it pretty well nailed. It's wonderful!

This is the convention I would suggest when reporting settings. User would just need to copy this and fill in the $$$ signs. (I'll fill in my heights later) I think this would really help new installs.

Thoughts???

Preload: 0mm
FAW: 0 lbs (Estimate Front Additional Weight or list mods)
FC2R8 (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
FH: (Front Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of fender)

RAW: 0 lbs (Estimate Rear Additional Weight or list mods)
RC2R7 (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
RS: 2720 (Rear Spring)
RH: (Rear Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of Quarter Panel)

-----------------------------------------------
Preload: $mm
FAW: $ lbs (Estimate Front Additional Weight or list mods)
FC$R$ (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
FH: $$mm (Front Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of fender)

RAW: $ lbs (Estimate Rear Additional Weight or list mods)
RC$R$ (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
RS: $$$$ (Rear Spring)
RH: $$mm (Rear Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of Quarter Panel)

**First let me just say: My BP-51 setup is running BETTER THAN EVER both on road and off.**

On a scale of 1-10 hillbilly grins?
I'm an 11!
=>:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

HIGHLY RECOMMEND the BP-51 setup!
I mean like W...O...W...! Just awesome!

And...I love this idea of documenting weights and settings.
It's tricky to come up with settings that will transfer to others, since our weights, terrain choices and driving styles can differ so much,

The great new is...the BP-51 system is super versatile, and allows adjustments to fit any style and any weight in conjunction with the various rear coil springs.

All in all? I'm one HAPPY BOY. -I mean like...doin-a-happy-dance-at-the-top-of-a crazy-trail happy!
:steer::steer::steer::steer:

Markuson

Mark,
Since the clunk appears to be repaired maybe it's time to start a thread or Google Forms/spreadsheet about settings. I've been slowly increasing compression and rebound ( and leaving it for a week) to my present setting and I think I've got it pretty well nailed. It's wonderful!

This is the convention I would suggest when reporting settings. User would just need to copy this and fill in the $$$ signs. (I'll fill in my heights later) I think this would really help new installs.

Thoughts???

Preload: 0mm
FAW: 0 lbs (Estimate Front Additional Weight or list mods)
FC2R8 (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
FH: (Front Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of fender)

RAW: 0 lbs (Estimate Rear Additional Weight or list mods)
RC2R7 (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
RS: 2720 (Rear Spring)
RH: (Rear Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of Quarter Panel)

-----------------------------------------------
Preload: $mm
FAW: $ lbs (Estimate Front Additional Weight or list mods)
FC$R$ (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
FH: $$mm (Front Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of fender)

RAW: $ lbs (Estimate Rear Additional Weight or list mods)
RC$R$ (Front Compression and Rebound setting)
RS: $$$$ (Rear Spring)
RH: $$mm (Rear Height measured from Hub Center to bottom of Quarter Panel)

Last edited:
New BP51s installed today. PM if interested in my old set which have about 10k miles on them.

Mark
So you're pleased?? I wasn't sure based on your post

Mark
So you're pleased?? I wasn't sure based on your post

Maybe you're kidding...but man I am super happy with my BP's. yes!

-I am actually AMAZED how well my big, heavy rig is performing both on and off road with my current BP setup!

Last edited:
I am so glad you clarified. I don't think we all were sure on where you stood. :rofl:

I am so glad you clarified. I don't think we all were sure on where you stood. :rofl:
! Yeah… I'm afraid my sarcasm sensors battery was low after driving 22 hours on only 45 minutes sleep! Ha ha

! Yeah… I'm afraid my sarcasm sensors battery was low after driving 22 hours on only 45 minutes sleep! Ha ha

I thought you had a dual battery system ... :confused:

I thought you had a dual battery system ... :confused:

Man, if you can invent a dual mental-battery system? -I'll be your first customer. :hillbilly:

A decision to be made. And I much appreciate all of your input. Going to spring for the BP-51 system and UCA´s as first step. Future mods will include:

1. Skids
2. Sliders
3. Front Bumper and winch
4. Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
5. Among others ;)

But for now I am trying to figure out best choice for rear coils considering:

1. I live in Mexico where potholes and speed bumps abound
2. I often travel overland on dirt roads; i.e. Baja trips and not so much extreme 4WD tracks.
3. I road trip travel a couple times a year with a Jumping Jack trailer with the following specs, UNLOADED:
  • Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR): 3,500 lbs. torsion axle
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 2,995 lbs.
  • Total Weight: (tent, trailer and frame) 1,245 lbs.
  • Trailer Weight / Tent & Frame Weight: 995 lbs./ 250 lbs.
  • Tongue Weight: 155 lbs.
4. Loaded with up to 2000 lbs. of toys and gear.
5. This is my everyday driver.

Which coil option would you all choose????

Can't add much here other than the trailer is pratically irrelevant given everything else you have going on. Even if your tongue weight went to 200 that is not significant in the overall picture. I'm towing a trailer with 750# of tongue weight using the stock suspension (though I must admit that I use a weight distribution hitch which you don't need.) More important will be what you do with the truck.

Hey guys. I'm on the fence of getting BP-51. I kinda shudder at the thought of having to upgrade the suspension on a brand new $90k truck - but I digress ;)

Here are my questions.

1) Raptor owners rave about how it just soaks up potholes and every road irregularity. Will this suspension ride THAT much better than stock?

2) How easy to adjust rebound and damping? I seem to recall reading that it is somewhat complex - at least compared to Icon.

3) in your opinion how was the overall bang for buck?

Thanks in advance!

I did not know Raptor owners installed BP-51's Do you have a link, curious to see why they did not stick with the Fox Shocks on the truck.

Overall bang for the buck in my opinion is not there, nice ride for sure, but to have my LC sound like a 30 year old For explorer with all the clunking and groaning not good. I know they have supposedly fixed it, but not sure I want to replace them for the 3rd time.

Front a relatively easy to adjust, the back is a nightmare as you have to go under the truck and be the Hulk to change the setting mine have basically seized, not mentioning there is some seeping of the oil from the adjustment rings. Another thing is it is not possible to adjust the height of the front while installed on the truck.

End result is I am going to switch to something else.

I for one have been though all the clunking issues and tested three sets for ARB and the fourth set was the one that took care of the issues as promised. They can't won't explain how they fixed the problem since other shock manufacturers would love to know too.

I love them. Front adjustments are as easy as turning the wheel in one direction, adjusting , turning the other direction and driving.
Rear are more challenging but if you use a strap wrench, they're really easy. You just need to prevent the shock from spinning. Yes, you have to lay on your back or use a creeper. Big deal.
I have found they once I dial them in I don't change the settings any more. Perhaps if you were headed for some serious off reading you'd have a second setting.

Island1064, ARB has been great about warranties as you know. I can tell you that the new set is so much better. Give them a call and get them swapped out. I don't work for ARB, I teach tech to 2nd-6th graders.

Holy ****ballz some of you are stupid. How the hell can you afford these trucks? Inheritance? Lotto winner? Insurance scam?

??

Removed Post

Last edited:
-

Last edited:
Holy ****ballz some of you are stupid. How the hell can you afford these trucks? Inheritance? Lotto winner? Insurance scam?

Insults are rare on this forum.

It would be great to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom