Ok ya'll just got a quote from the mechanic - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I brought Letty to the mechanic (91 Landcruiser). They gave me a quote of $5200 for these fixes. My question is this: is it possible to do these repairs myself without a lift?

Have you done any of these repairs yourselves? Any thoughts/info is appreciated!

-OIL FILTER/OIL COOLER RESEAL
-VALVE COVER GASKET
-OIL PAN GASKET? WILL NEED TO START WITH THE FIRST PART
-LOWER RADIATOR HOSE SOAKED IN OIL
-POWER STEERING PUMP LEAKING
-FRONT TIMING GEAR CASE GASKET AND FRONT CRANK SEAL
-POSSIBLY THE REAR MAIN SEAL BUT WOULD NEED TO LOOK FURTHER INTO THAT, CLEAN AREA AND RE-CHECK

Thank you!

ouch!
The only one that's a reall pain the D!({ is the rear main seal. Need to drop the trans and transfer case. And they are HEAVY mothers.
The rest you can do yourself with time and tools.

ouch!
The only one that's a reall pain the D!({ is the rear main seal. Need to drop the trans and transfer case. And they are HEAVY mothers.
The rest you can do yourself with time and tools.
I posted below but my issue is that I live in an apartment in a city so anything I do needs to be done on the street (street parking). Still doable?

Well, here's the issue: I live in an apartment and do not have a garage so anything I do needs to be done with street parking.
I meant have a shop pull the motor and do the seals gaskets and hoses. Shop around a bit on prices. Dont be afraid to drive several hours for good work. At the age of these trucks now, everything is leaking to some extent.

Last edited:
Yep, that's a high quote because I bet they don't want to touch it.

Also agree that your rear main is fine, it's your oil pan arch that is leaking

Oil is cheap so no rush as along as the vehicle is running OK. Take your time, do your homework (like reading on the forum), and look around your area for a mechanic who knows this model if you can't do it yourself.

When you do a search it helps to know that your model FJ80 has the 3FE engine, not the 1FZFE, so some different leak sources between the two.

You can do everything in a parking lot because I did (apart from the front and rear main seals which were done by the tranny shop when I had the tranny rebuilt).
Everything else is very DIY. Take one at a time.

Use all OEM parts and you won't have to deal with the issues again (unlike USDManufacturer parts).

It's an easy fix, just add more oil and power steering fluid 🤣

All of the above.

Most of that list is probably actually not an issue.

Start with giving the engine a really good degrease, 2 or 3 times. Just don't go to crazy with water pressure around the top of the engine or distributor.
Run the engine, then have a good look around all the areas listed. See if you can pinpoint where oil is coming from.

There's a few common suspects for oil leaks in these engines. Most are fairly simple to fix yourself.

Distributor shaft o-ring
Oil pump cover o-ring
Valve cover gasket
Pan arch seal

All of the above.

Most of that list is probably actually not an issue.

Start with giving the engine a really good degrease, 2 or 3 times. Just don't go to crazy with water pressure around the top of the engine or distributor.
Run the engine, then have a good look around all the areas listed. See if you can pinpoint where oil is coming from.

There's a few common suspects for oil leaks in these engines. Most are fairly simple to fix yourself.

Distributor shaft o-ring
Oil pump cover o-ring
Valve cover gasket
Pan arch seal

Clean the engine well, yes, but the OP has a 3FE, dizzy shaft o-ring, oil pump cover o-ring, and pan arch seal suggestions don't apply.

I brought Letty to the mechanic (91 Landcruiser). They gave me a quote of $5200 for these fixes. My question is this: is it possible to do these repairs myself without a lift?

Have you done any of these repairs yourselves? Any thoughts/info is appreciated!

-OIL FILTER/OIL COOLER RESEAL
-VALVE COVER GASKET
-OIL PAN GASKET? WILL NEED TO START WITH THE FIRST PART
-LOWER RADIATOR HOSE SOAKED IN OIL
-POWER STEERING PUMP LEAKING
-FRONT TIMING GEAR CASE GASKET AND FRONT CRANK SEAL
-POSSIBLY THE REAR MAIN SEAL BUT WOULD NEED TO LOOK FURTHER INTO THAT, CLEAN AREA AND RE-CHECK

Thank you!
Most of that can be done in an apartment lot.

The biggest issue will be dealing with draining and capturing fluids.

You're going to need drain buckets and pans, a way to dispose of said fluids, and hope the Karen next door doesn't bitch to management about you when you're halfway through something.

You will need to preplan each segment of what you're doing so you can get in and out in a timely manner.

Figure out what the priorities are and what order they need to be done.
Some apartment complexes prohibit working on a vehicle in their lot or having it non-op for a certain period of time. Make sure you know the rules before you start. There are people out there that make it a point to be a pain in your ass.

You can do almost everything except timing gears cover gasket and rear main. If it the rear arch (and it usually is) can be done in a parking lot, but it takes a while.

Make it a point to park in a different spot each time you finish a segment so they can see it's still operable.

Do your work really early in the morning on weekend days in an apartment complex, as that is when there are the least amount of people out and around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom