Ok this is REALLY REALLY dumb but.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cleantechinc.com
I recently read an article in a survivalist magazine stating that one of the ultimate bug out vehicles was older diesel powered land cruisers. What intrigued me was why they chose that. No electronic controls. If an EMP were set off or a large solar flare wiped out all our fancy electronics these trucks in theory would still operate. NOW I AM NOT A WEIRD PREPPER! But it got me thinking if such a thing EVER happened what would be a good electronics backup set to store in faraday/EMP bags and boxes. Obviously an ecu but what other goodies would one need to get there 80 back up and running after such an event. Again I am not a crazy grain as rice hoarding weirdo but it's got me curious. And go...

I just wrapped my engine in tin foil. Cheaper, so I'd have more money for MRE's and ammo. :meh:

:flipoff2:

Damnit I knew this was gonna get some smart ass remarks:)

Delancy and slab you two just lost your spots in my theoretical/non existent end of the world bunker haha

NLXTACY now your out too

Survivalist magazine, EMP, bug-out vehicle followed by "I'M NOT A WEIRD PREPPER" is a little suspicious Mr. Wichita Kansas...just sayin. :hmm:

Dude I've got three kids and a wife reading magazines at the grocery store is one of the only quiet times I have in life. Trust me I'm a wealth of useless knowledge on everything from luxury yachts to fly fishing. And don't lie and say you've never watched an episode of doomsday preppers. You know you have....

And... If I was really a weirdo do you think I'd let you guys know where I live;)

Survivalist magazine, EMP, bug-out vehicle followed by "I'M NOT A WEIRD PREPPER" is a little suspicious Mr. Wichita Kansas...just sayin. :hmm:

I was just a little surprised he wasn't from North Carolina...

:hmm:

I now regret this topic,,,

NLXTACY now your out too

Just to be fair though...I kept the points ignition in my 40 for just this reason. I think it was Maximum Overdrive that made me consider this a rational method of survival :p

Oh and it was almost 30 years ago when that movie came out and I was really young and impressionable. :flipoff2:

The body of your truck is a faraday cage.

Don't, this is fun :)

My trucks been in pieces for two months you have to cut me some slack due to boredom. I know this is a crazy stupid topic but I did have a boat about five years ago that was tied up in our dock and the dock got struck by lightning. Fried every single electrical part on the boat. It looked perfect but was a total loss. I get that in theory a truck is insulated via the tires but a solar flare or EMP or just some other dumb thing could possibly wipe out the system. So let's stop bagging on me and think about what parts could be necessary to get it operational again. Geez I thought you guys were my friends

I am a weird-ass prepper and the potential for EMP damage to the electronics of a vehicle is highly over rate IMO. There has only been one conclusive test of high altitude EMP propagation, and that was operation Starfish Prime in 1962 in the South Pacific. The resulting damage was greater than expected but when the evidence is evaluated in the totality of the electronic devices that were affected it doesn't really amount to the end of civilization as we know it with the destruction of all devices that have an electronic circuit. The test did reveal that EMP waves travel further than initially expected. This is because the EMP wave travels in a very tight, compact wave and easily propagates in open air. Being a line of sight wave, the higher the detonation, the further and more broad spread the wave will travel.

That said, you have to keep in mind the electronics that were damaged were the electronics of the early 1960's. Since then, most electronic devices have much better built-in shielding and are more robust. I have no doubt there would be some infrastructure damage and some collateral electronic device damage if a high altitude EMP were detonated on the US, but I'm doubtful that it would bring everything to a screeching halt. Buy whatever Land Cruiser meets your needs.

Last edited:
The body of your truck is a faraday cage.

Correct. 2004 Congressional task force report on EMP tested 20+ vehicles (1982-2002) and all but 2 had no problems, though most had to be restarted (if my memory is correct). Digital dash on a later model fried. 80 series LC should be fine, but who REALLY knows??? ;)

Here's the executive summary: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

All the details can be found here: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Light reading that will brighten your day.

The real danger in EMP is DC currents induced into power grid, which will destroy UHV transformers (about 100 that transport most of the electricity across the grid) and take down the electrical system (for perhaps most of a decade). No power, no nothing in our overly-technology-dependent society. Recently one member of the task force told congress an EMP attack or solar storm would likely result in 90% casualties due to starvation, disease, and breakdown of modern society. Starting an LC would probably be least of the worries.:cheers:

The good news for today:http://www.hstoday.us/briefings/dai...ss-told/1b5e33a26545ac5ebf9398f00064dc0a.html

Last edited:
Let alone pumping gas out of the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom