Builds 1994 1hz 80 series ZOMBIE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all mudders...

So...after getting sick and tired of all the issues arising in my 94 bought from the living dead.... it drives....but nothing else...literally....
1- if u turn on the headlights the audio squeaks
2- turn on the hazard the relay is blown and no turn signal from then on
3- press the brakes....speakers send out....well...a grumpy moaning sound.
4- The weather here is literally HOT....yet...every time i stop...it may and may not crank up....
5- Nothing on the roof works (dome, sunroof, speakers)
6- Checking the wiring harness, PLENTY of melted, cut or loose wires.
7- Fuses are pouring in on 'standalone' makeshift wires (one even has a 75A fuse to it)
8- Combination meter is for automatic shift, while its a manual

....so u get the idea....its like a stew made in the out lands...just put in anything u can find so we can eat..looool

Checking the wiring via a number of "electricians" here....i came to the conclusion i need to redo the wiring....how??? all they did was quick solutions, nothing stays well.

well this is where u guys will come in handy....i have seen how this forum is hyper active, especially 80 series....and i hope to go from electrical all the way to engine etc with your help and advice. but first step is finishing and securing the electrical.

I want and NEED to do this alone to really get to know my LC....i do plenty of outdoor activity.....fishing and hunting depending on the season....and love to take my kids around camping. but with this car....i dont even risk taking them to school..

Another issue is parts....i most probably have to do with 'customizing' especially in the harness, crimping and other wiring stuff, as its almost impossible to find something here for these models.....everyone here is going towards Hyundai and Kia parts....big customer base = more profit.

enough said....HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP :)

The Images.....gulp

A quick look inside.....then i decided to gut it....took the seating, flooring and panels off to see what i needed to do

06042013147.jpg

06042013155.jpg

06042013157.jpg

10042013182.jpg

10042013193.jpg

06042013147.jpg

06042013155.jpg

06042013157.jpg

10042013182.jpg

10042013193.jpg

Outside acceptable

Did a complete maintenance on the bearings, brakes, clutch, oils....and then went and did the flywheel.....new tires, slug nuts etc....so its drive-able...sort off....i.e it wont smash into another car due to brakes....but the guy behind me wont know..because no fully functioning brake lights...so its they against my rear bumper and hook.
08042013168.jpg

08042013175.jpg

08042013177.jpg

08042013178.jpg

08042013179.jpg

08042013168.jpg

08042013175.jpg

08042013177.jpg

08042013178.jpg

08042013179.jpg

Well, you can start by checking "steering wheel cover" off the list :D

Our High TECH maintenance shops

No disrespect to these hard working people...but u just cant get GREAT service when the whole area is dusty and no SST tools....hammers and wrenches....with the occasional screwdriver and pliers.
Wires are literally just braided together and wrapped in cheap grade tape which usually starts dropping off as soon as u drive off.

2013-11-02 14.22.57.jpg

2013-11-02 14.24.45.jpg

2013-11-02 14.32.16.jpg

Cruiser2.jpg

2013-11-02 14.22.57.jpg

2013-11-02 14.24.45.jpg

2013-11-02 14.32.16.jpg

Cruiser2.jpg

TXBruiser...the funny thing is...every single plastic part is there....either in the fridge or the 'dropdown' glove compartment.....the problem is the PO just didnt care to put ANYTHING back

I applaud your efforts...especially considering the part of the world you are from and its limited resources, but are you sure that thing didn't run over an IED in a previous life??? :flush:

loool.....IED.....i was literally looking for the donkey that pulls it....loooool...but hey....a 1hz engine with over 540,000km and still running smooth....thats why i bought it

i wonder if someone will donate a wire shrink wrap set for me.....hmmmmmmmmmm....i promise to supply the lighter :D ....DHL delivers here ....just in case :) ..... the dollar rate here is MASSIVE....only available in black market....so i will definitely be ordering somehow..and can only transfer by Western Union....which in itself sounds like one of those " me love u long time" scams from our neighbouring countries....loooool......just let me figure out exactly WHAT it is i need.....besides a new 80 series cruiser :D

I plan on removing the WHOLE wire harness tomorrow...most of it isn't even connected, and the parts that are use makeshift wiring......so......any advice is welcome....i would like to be able to drive it...i.e. at LEAST have the ignition and cutoff working...so i can go to pick up things here and there...

What would i need to keep or rebuild??

schematics and pix most welcome :D

but hey....a 1hz engine with over 540,000km and still running smooth....thats why i bought it

And thems musta been a rough 540,000 kms! Best of luck to ya!

Cracked Chassis

yet ANOTHER thing...found a crack in the chassis.....poor weld....but no off road this season...so will do for now till i get to take it for paint and remove the engine and gearbox for revision.

The CARNAGE begins

ok...so....i decided to just do it....stripped out the whole harness....yep....with relatively low car electrical experience....but hey...im on ih8mud.....what can go wrong?

SO...pen, paper and EWD on laptop VERY close by.....registering everything i took off....labeling etc...

Out comes the harness, RB2, RB1 and fusebox....there is no power outlet box here...so u get a clearer idea how bad the wiring is here.

Looking at the harness....from the start, 14 wires that are just clipped off by pliers or something....guess now i know why the combination meter wasnt working...

No wiring WHATSOEVER to the glow plugs

7 wires inside the harness either corroded to snapable ratio or melt like butter

3 bridges from one relay to another...one was from the flasher to the heater relays.....strange or normal?

an extra 9 wires just trimmed off inside the wrapping

wires that start with a colour.....braided to another colour and finishing off with a third.....very confusing to follow.....:bang:

trying to upload images

The boxes

RB2.....where do i start?..... complete mess....two fuses "fused" to the plastic, two relays with bridges...one relay literally melted on the plastic, had to ply it off.

RB1... a number of obviously clear fire hazards....melted relay sockets (x2) and corroded pins

fuse box....same same.. 3 fuses burnt the plastic, 1 fused in to the plastic...one with a massive wire bridging it to another fuse.:deadhorse::deadhorse:

The images

out came the harness

wire1.jpg

and stripped naked

wire2.jpg

i know i know ur thinking.....damn..that space is tight to work in.....well....thats what i have....so i will probably take on gymnastics to be able to move around :idea:

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

doing it "Hajji" style

so...as i noted earlier..i need the car to move....simplest solution.....look no further

carstart.jpg

1- negative line to body, engine
1- positive line to starter motor
1- 'makeshift' line to starter solenoid
1- 'makeshift' line to fuel pump cut off solenoid

to start the engine....hook up the positive....hook on the fuel pump solenoid to the positive......and tap that starter solenoid on the positive terminal till it revs....

as i didnt have any glow wiring anyways...and wont be driving it much...fuel economy, white smoke etc....not a concern this week.

now u know why these cars ALWAYS work :bounce:

carstart.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom