This is really weird. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1992 Land Cruiser

IF I leave the AC Fan in the on position, turn off the key, take the key with me, and exit the vehicle.

IF I open the lift gate, the AC Blower comes on and I hear a birdie noise under the steering column. Closing the lift gate turns it off.

If I open either front door the blower goes off.

The rear passenger doors do nothing.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Maybe it's stolen 😂. Is the little birdie saying tweet tweet, or something different?

Sounds like some electrical gremlins for certain. I would be chasing down grounds first. That always seems to be the issue.

Haven't seen anything like that specifically, but similar yes. Check the grounds.

1992 Land Cruiser

IF I leave the AC Fan in the on position, turn off the key, take the key with me, and exit the vehicle.

IF I open the lift gate, the AC Blower comes on and I hear a birdie noise under the steering column. Closing the lift gate turns it off.

If I open either front door the blower goes off.

The rear passenger doors do nothing.

Any ideas on what is going on?
Dam that is weird.
Can only offer that maybe looking for non-factory wiring under the dash or around the lift gate might uncover something.

is the birdie noise clicking like a relay? I would perhaps trace your interior roof lighting if the fan seems tied to doors opening? best of luck; i am sure someone here has more wisdom.

Does @jonheld have something like a Batman signal we can shine into the sky when he's needed :)
Yes.

@jonheld - "... as a result, predictably the 3FE develops serious valve tap issues over time as compared to the 1FZ"

Signal sent. :p

Nothing in the HVAC system gets a constant +12. Everything is switched by the ignition switch.
However, the interior lights are fed a constant +12. If you remove the DOME fuse from the under hood relay box, I would expect this gremlin to go away. Once verified, we can continue.

1699710151622.png

Pulling the 10A dome fuse does stop it.

It only happens when the dome switches are in the automatic position where the door switch activates them.

The tweating sound from the steering column area only happens when both dome lights are in the auto position and on. IT seems to have to do with amps drawn.

I'm trying to figure out where this ground loop is originating from. The only common ground points between the HVAC system and interior lights is ground point BF which is under the center console. That is the ground point for the rear heater relay, which is most likely the buzzing sound you're hearing. Please verify that this relay is the one making the sound that you claim is coming from under the steering column.

1699795202903.png

I could not localize the sound to any of the above mentioned relays. None had a vibration I could feel. Pushing and pulling on them made no difference in the sound. I pulled several, and had the wife confirm my observations. She has much better hearing than I do. Some or all are activating when the driver's door switch is activated with the lift gate up and the interior lights in the auto position as before.

The fuses near the drivers' left knee may have privided a clue. The 20A wiper, and 10A Gauge fuses both stopped the noise. Taking the wiper switch out of the park position also stopped the noise.

fuse001.jpg

I can feel and hear the relays activating. They are all jammed together so determining which on is being activated is difficult.

I can feel and hear the relays activating. They are all jammed together so determining which on is being activated is difficult.
You can put a finger on top of the relays as they are being activated to determine which one it is by feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom