Ok I need some help on a FJ40 I’m getting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

What are these bolts for? The one on the left is leaking oil. Seems like a bad washer / gasket but I don’t know. Secondly, before I took the fj40 on a test drive I noticed slimy yellow buildup in oil cap along with water drops on it. Is this normal or a cracked head gasket? The oil pan was dropped and it had a little residue in it as well. Thirdly, I test drove the 1971 fj40 on relativy steep hills and it was very hard to stop. I had to stomp on the brakes to get it to stop. Is this normal with non assisted braking and drum brakes? Thanks again guys!

The part you circled is where the egr cooler should bolt to. The holes should not go into the crank case. There should not be any leaks from them, unless some one has drilled them into the crank case for some reason.

So these are 2 big bolt heads on the passenger side of the engine right above a ledge or lip on the side of the engine. There’s oil pooled on that lip. What could that be?

1971 should have the oil piece with hoses attached that go to the oil filter housing up near the carb. is there anything there?
the block in the first post show a later block that is different than the early block
1971 should have a boosted brake system.

pics help a lot in situations like this.

So these are 2 big bolt heads on the passenger side of the engine right above a ledge or lip on the side of the engine. There’s oil pooled on that lip. What could that be?

Your picture is of the driver’s side of the block. Your description says passenger side. Can you choose one or the other please.

The weird thing is there are no Toyota markings on the top of the engine or the oil cap. Can any one tell me what engine this is? The seller claims it’s a F in line 6 cylinder from a 1974 fj40.

Looks like a 74 F to me. It's actually what's referred to as the F and 1/2. It's got the oil filter like a 2 F

??? Problem solved, forgotten, or??

No the problem is still there. That lip around the mid engine has oil all around it. Where could it be coming from?

No the problem is still there. That lip around the mid engine has oil all around it. Where could it be coming from?

how about some better pics of the area in question?
have you cleaned all the residual oil off and tried to see where it is coming from?
does it happen when driving or just running?

I’m in the process of trading my 1999 land cruiser for it . See the oil along the lip. It’s like that on the other side too. The other side is actually leaking pretty bad. Seems to be originating from two bolts that are going horizontally into the engine. I wish I had better pics.

I can’t tell where you are seeing oil... but, are you sure the valve/rocker cover isn’t leaking where it sets on the head? It should have a gasket all the way around... but, it could be dried out.

your talking about the top of the head.
the valve cover is leaking
the problem will be with your bracket that is holding the throttle cable, and should be fixed properly.
to repair, find a mid 70's 2F valve cover and nuts, it is aluminium and has a rubber gasket and seals much better than the earlier steel version with cork gasket

trading a 100 series for a 40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom