Oil Pressure and Water Temperature sending units (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My gauges were not working and looks for a long time. PO installed an aftermarket mechanical temperature gauge which was way off on dial from it should be for JFJ40. I traced it down to the rear plug at the engine valve cover/block location. He installed also aftermarket pressure gauge, but never connected it.
I upgraded my dash with new electrical gauges. They do come with their sending units.
My question is where exactly OEM locations for Oil Pressure and Water Temperature sending units. I think different locations from OEM can put the measuring off, so prefer to add the to good spots.
Searched the web and forums and seen several places, but can't be sure which one is original.
I'll snap a few shots of what I have on my 2F now tonight.
Please help. find the right spots.

I'll snap a few shots of what I have on my 2F now tonight.
Please help. find the right spots.

Yes, pics would help.
Either of the 2 threaded ports on the top of the head will work for a water temp sender. Oil pressure sender could be in a couple of different places depending on what motor you have. If it really is a 2F motor, does it have an oil cooler? If you have an F engine, original for a '74, the oilpressure sender would be on the drivers side rear of the engine block. If it's a 2F, could be on the oil cooler or on the oil filter mount if you have no oil cooler.

It's 2F. Even the head has big "2F" stamp.
One of the PO replaced original F with 2F. I'm not sure what year is 2F, PO believed it was out of '78.

i've got a 2F in a 77 oil sending is right below the filter single plug with 1 electric wire running to guage:excellent reading as well as the temp. like pighead said theres 2 threaded ports on the top of the head towards firewall thats where mine is works excellent. i do however have factory guages

Here are the pictures I snapped tonight.

Water temperature sensor:
WaterTempSensor.jpg

Can't fin an Oil Pressure Sensor. Looked from underside on both sides, can't see. Here is the image from the top. Can someone point me a location and show how it suppose to look?
OilPresSensor.jpg

Here are the sensors from the CruiserUser Dash kit:
CruiserUsersensors.jpg

Can someone point me a location and show how it suppose to look?

Pay no attention to the oil leak I'm pointing at, look at the plumbing "T" and where it screws into the oil filter mount...that is one place your oil pressure sender could be.
here 002.jpg

Pay no attention to the oil leak I'm pointing at, look at the plumbing "T" and where it screws into the oil filter mount...that is one place your oil pressure sender could be.

It's kind of hard to see spot when on the vehicle. I have some sort of steel splash guard on top of the driveshaft mounted at around 30-45 degrees covering the right side of the engine from underneath. I looked yesterday at that side, didn't find anything, but I wasn't sure of location. Now I know where to look, so I can narrow my search.

I did try to change the Water Temperature sensor last night to realize that I need to drain coolant first as the sensor is not on the highest point, so as soon as I start unscrewing it, I got a steady flow of green "fall" on my engIne block.
I'd assume I'd need to drain oil as well for the Oil Pressure sensor...

Depending on the year which if the parts on your 2f are correct your oil pressure port could be on the drivers side near the block drain plug. Early 2f's had it there.

I'd assume I'd need to drain oil as well for the Oil Pressure sensor...

Don't assume that.
And maybe if you park sideways on a hill and remove the radiator cap you can swap watertemp senders...

Depending on the year which if the parts on your 2f are correct your oil pressure port could be on the drivers side near the block drain plug. Early 2f's had it there.

I did not know that, but I believe it. That's where the oilpressure sender was on my original 12/'74 late F engine. And my 2F block, 2F 098203, (mid '76) has a threaded hole there that accepts the oilpressure sender but apparantly does not communicate with an oil passage. Which can be somewhat disconcerting when starting a rebuilt engine.
So there ya go AlexJet, you got 3 choices of places to look for your oilpressure sender. Drop that splashpan, look around your oil filter. Did you ever tell us if you had an oil cooler or not? and look on the rear driverside of the block. Did you ever post the engine number of your mystery block? You know, we could probably magically tell you the month and year of that block if we only had the number...

Edit: looking at your pics again, and the lack of plumbing to that side of the block says no oilcooler...

I'm not sure it has oil cooler. I looked on-line and it refers to rectangular box mounted on the block rear of oil filter. I don't see it.
I need to see the engine number. Where should it be stamped?

Ok, I looked once more and still don't see the Oil Pressure sender... :(

My engine # 2F 424118
EngineBlock2F424118.jpg

RHS of my engine block:

EngineBlockRHS1.jpg

EngineBlockRHS2.jpg

EngineBlockRHS3.jpg

LHS of my Engine Block:

EngineBlockLHS1.jpg

EngineBlockLHS2.jpg

EngineBlockLHS3.jpg

Oil sending unit on my 2/'75 orig engine 2f is located :

1) Driver side (LHS) of the block.
2) Directly below the # 6 exhaust port.
3) On line with & just forward several inches, of the block drain plug.

Look there.

John

I gone through my RHS of the block this afternoon - nothing, not a single trace of anything, plus my filter holder doesn't have a plug for a sensor as was mentioned here.

So I followed John's suggestion and examine the LHS,...and I did find something and that was all I found. Its an adapter or sort of it with a bolt screwed in as a plug, at least it looks like this. Location is 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the block at the parallel level of the Master Brake Cylinder.
See pictures for details. Kind of bad quality cell phone, I'll try to shoot better with the camera.

Is it the point I'm in search for? Can it be that PO just removed the sensor as gauge wasn't working anyway?... probably...

Engineblocksensor1.jpg

Engineblocksensor2.jpg

Better close up pictures:
I hope that's it, as I'm out of options....
Could someone take a look and confirm?

Engineblocksensor4.jpg

Engineblocksensor3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom