Oil in intake manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Here's where I show my ignorance of the 2uz engine.
I pulled off the throttle body today and inside the intake manifold there was oil pooling a little bit.
The engine is out of the truck and tilted front down a bit and the oil was sitting at the front of the manifold area maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon. It does not appear to be all over the inside when I look inside.
What would cause that?

Here's where I show my ignorance of the 2uz engine.
I pulled off the throttle body today and inside the intake manifold there was oil pooling a little bit.
The engine is out of the truck and tilted front down a bit and the oil was sitting at the front of the manifold area maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon. It does not appear to be all over the inside when I look inside.
What would cause that?

To aid in emissions, most motors use a PCV (positive crank case valve) to recirculate air from the crank case back into the air intake system. This air contains oil so what is note sucked into the motor lives in the intake manifold until you clean it. The way to fix this would be to install a catch can also known as a oil air separator.

it’s been on my go do list to retrofit one but I don’t know many or anyone who makes this or has done it.

Last edited:
To aid in emissions, most motors use a PCV (positive crank case valve) to recirculate air from the crank case back into the air intake system. This air contains oil so what is note sucked into the motor lives in the intake manifold until you clean it. The way to fix this would be to install a catch can also known as a oil air separator.

it’s been on my go do list to retrofit one but I don’t know many or anyone who makes this or has done it.

^^^^^

This.

Spot on.

Oil separator on my 80 series as an example:

Oil Sep.jpg

Oil Separator1.jpg

Same thing can be done with the 100 series 2UZ-FE 4.7

And what is the downside to that oil being there?
Oil being feed into the IM typically will reduce the octane of the gas and gum up your valves via carbon deposits. There is ZERO downsides to a catch can other then cost. Being nobody makes a kit for the 100 you would have to custom make everything. This is something I’ve been planning on doing.

I did the starter on my old 2000 Tundra last fall and found the same thing. Wasn’t what I expected to see! Cleaned it out, screwed it back together.

A teaspoon of oil hardly signals the need to install a catch, but I am interested to see someones set up and to know what the results are.

Intake manifold actually has oil collection pockets.

01 LX470 day 11 intake manifold 029.JPG

Z 01 LX470 day Starter, wire splice & intake installed 3-22-16 001.JPG

Z 01 LX470 day Starter install & wire splice 3-21-16 028.JPG

Z 01 LX470 day Starter install & wire splice 3-21-16 032.JPG

Last edited:
A teaspoon of oil hardly signals the need to install a catch, but I am interested to see someones set up and to know what the results are.
So I assume there is no DOWNSIDE to a catch can? Even a cheap one seems like it would do the job on a daily driven rig (rather than a high power hot rod)

The style that vents the air to atmosphere rather than dumping it back into the manifold seems like a better solution other than the reported smells!
Certainly a can with an easy drain would be best I think.

C14FEB7B-24E2-42CE-92BA-0360020F4EC4.jpeg

This is your PCV hose. A catch can would be super easy. Find a NON vented catch can and splice it into this hose (use new hose from the PCV to the manifold) and that’s pretty much it.

Last edited:
1UZ (almost the same as a 2UZ) and this guy is a bit of a hack, but this gives an idea of an oil catch can option. Skip up to 8:00 for the meat of the matter.
OIL CATCH CAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom