Oil change hacks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone used the oil extractor for oil changes instead of pulling the oil plug? I was thinking of giving this a try every other oil change.
Fr8dawg

+1 for the Fumoto - easy peasy. No experience/feedback for ya' concerning an oil extractor.

I have used an oil extractor on several other cars but could not get it to work on the GX, not sure why but it would just suck air.

Fumoto looks sweet. My only concern is it getting hit somehow and dumping the reservoir out.

There's a couple inches between the end of the valve and the skid plate so I would imagine a lot of other stuff would be getting crunched before it got damaged but it's still a valid concern. I feel pretty comfortable running mild trails with it although I do plan on upgrading my skids this year.

There are a couple things can help:
-Use the short nipple or no nipple fumoto
- they also make clips that lock the drain lever into place and adds extra insurance

Lastly, try to imagine a scenario where the fumoto gets damaged enough to leak and that's not the least of your worries. It would have to be a pretty freak occurrence and also not crack/damage the oil pan itself.

I've had mine for 6 years and offroaded and no issues or concerns.

Also using a Fumoto valve. If the durability is enough for industrial machinery (site work guys) then it should work well for us as well. Another form of "insurance" is a cable-tie to prevent the level popping out of the lock notch.

No experience with either. Based on the picture, the way to valve sticks down it looks like it could grab something and potentially try to tear out if that makes sense. Kind of damage multiplier. It sounds like there is a shorter option that may help alleviate that concern. Doesn't appear to have a magnet either so how can one catch and then inspect for metal?

As for an oil extractor, I doubt you will get all the oil out of the bottom of the pan where contaminants concentrate resulting in a lack of ability to get a good visual inspection, especially for metal.

I also use my time under the rig to give things a visual once over to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

Personally, I don't see either of these savings more than a few minutes of light labor. YMMV.

For those reasons, I'm out.

No experience with either. Based on the picture, the way to valve sticks down it looks like it could grab something and potentially try to tear out if that makes sense. Kind of damage multiplier. It sounds like there is a shorter option that may help alleviate that concern. Doesn't appear to have a magnet either so how can one catch and then inspect for metal?

If you have an aftermarket skid plate and not the stock one I would say you have 99% Nothing to worry about. 1% would be a stick or branch going up through the access hole in the skid plate and knocking off the valve.
As for checking metal you can glue a magnet to the outside of your oil catch pan and when you pour the oil out into a jug or paint bucket the metal will be held in the bottom of the pan as you empty it.

0f2f17ed-7b59-465f-8cac-e2f78ab629c8-jpeg.1702837

As for an oil extractor, I doubt you will get all the oil out of the bottom of the pan where contaminants concentrate resulting in a lack of ability to get a good visual inspection, especially for metal.

Agree ;)

I also use my time under the rig to give things a visual once over to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

With the fumoto valve it makes a nice oil stream so you don’t have to watch the pan and move it around to catch the oil. Plus it drains a bit slower so you have more time to inspect.

Personally, I don't see either of these savings more than a few minutes of light labor. YMMV.

Correct the Fumoto actually doesn’t save time but it does make it mess free. I personally would always make a mess when removing the plug or I wouldn’t make a mess and drop the plug into the catch container. I know some of you are Pro Perfect but for those who are not Fumoto. :p

For those reasons, I'm out.

Last edited:
I use a Fumoto drain valve that makes oil changes a bit easier and minimizes the risk of damaging the oil pan threads. I haven't found a way to remove the filter without the removing the skid plate, though.

You go in from the side and if you have installed the filter you should be able to remove it by hand with a good grip. Photo from someone else showing the access.

img_3174-1-jpg.1557212

And you can cut a 2 liter bottle or a past bottle like I did to catch the oil from the filter.

d988a020-9846-444c-bbc8-756c562011f9-jpeg.1702839

I have lots of experience extracting oil via vacuum, just not on Toyota’s....

Oil extraction is the norm in the Audi world, and I have very little negative to say about it. It’s so normal, that if we try to charge a drain plug seal on a warranty maintenance service Audi won’t pay for it, cause it shouldn’t have been removed. Audi rule of wrist: if the filter is on top - extract, filter on bottom - drain.

I will agree that the “inspection” factor is not there, but disagree about not being able to remove all of the oil. From my experience(engines designed around extraction), extraction is very reliable... if the engine is filled with the proper fill quantity and it’s good on the dipstick, then all the oil was removed, easy. In my opinion and application extraction works and saves time. However, I have never extracted either of my cruisers

I would not be turned off from trying, but would be turned off if the engine was over filled after...

You go in from the side and if you have installed the filter you should be able to remove it by hand with a good grip. Photo from someone else showing the access.

img_3174-1-jpg.1557212

And you can cut a 2 liter bottle or a past bottle like I did to catch the oil from the filter.

d988a020-9846-444c-bbc8-756c562011f9-jpeg.1702839
Can you confirm the oil filter can be installed from the side? I've looked a dozen times and by my eyeball assessment, it just didn't look like there would be enough room to get the filter in and out past the suspension bits. I did reach my arm down from the top and felt confident I could access it that way. Your genius bottom idea not answers my question of how I would avoid spilling oil everywhere 👍👌

I can install from the side, but I don't have swaybars :)

Can you confirm the oil filter can be installed from the side? I've looked a dozen times and by my eyeball assessment, it just didn't look like there would be enough room to get the filter in and out past the suspension bits. I did reach my arm down from the top and felt confident I could access it that way. Your genius bottom idea not answers my question of how I would avoid spilling oil everywhere 👍👌

Yes without the factory skid plate and splash guard I can put the half cut pasta bottle in below the filter to catch every drop of oil as I remove the filter. I have sway bars still and no issue.

Yes without the factory skid plate and splash guard I can put the half cut pasta bottle in below the filter to catch every drop of oil as I remove the filter. I have sway bars still and no issue.
Thanks, and typing on a phone is the worst, I make typos all over, meant to say:.
....."your genius bottle idea now answers my question...."

Just confirming this is the one to buy?

Amazon product ASIN B07D9DXCHP
Someone said there is a shorter nipple version but all I see is guys using this version on the 4.7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom