Oil Bath Air Cleaner for 1982 FJ40 w/2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I understand that there was an oil bath air cleaner option for the FJ40 with the 2f engine.

Anyone have a picture?

How about a source?

I'm currently in the throes of a frame-off restoration on my 1982 FJ40, which has been in the family since new. 143K miles, no major problems, no thrashing in the boonies.

My mother's car, believe it or not.

I'm keeping it stock, except for the wheels.

I had an oil bath on my 1955 Chevy half-ton, back when I restored it in the 1970's, and loved how well it cleaned the dust out of the air, and the ease of maintenance.

Kirk

I have never heard of one for a 2F, I have one on my 65 F motor. Maybe what you heard of is the cyclonic air cleaners that the 2f got in markets like AUS.

if your keeping it stock might as well keep the stock 2F air cleaner. I also suspect if there is a 2F oil bath it won't hook up right with the emission stuff on a 82 fj40, prolly could make it work however.

why are you changing the wheels? don't like white? if not paint em gray(I did on my 82)

pics of your 82 please :)

The white spokers came with the LC from the dealer, back when Mom & Dad bought it in 1985 (yup, three years on the dealer's lot). I have the original purchase receipt, and every service receipt. I may eventually get a set of original wheels and hub caps.

Anyway, getting it home (Portland, OR) from where it sat for a year outside of Roundup, MT was an adventure.

First challenge was to get it to start. Topped up the antifreeze (a quart) and the oil (two quarts), and charged the battery. A couple of spray cans of carb cleaner down and around the carb removed most of the varnish. I drained the old gasoline, put in 5 gallons of fresh.

Turned the key, pumped the gas three times, and she fired right up! Wouldn't idle worth beans, and the choke cable is sticky, so I had to nurse the gas pedal until she was warm and would idle.

Once she was warmed up and idling well, I used the old 50/50 brake fluid/water trick, down the carb while running at 2000rpm, to flush out the carbon buildup. The clouds of gray smoke revealed that the exhaust manifold gaskets are shot, and the exhaust system was rotted in several spots.

Took her out for a spin, two miles down to the highway on a graded dirt road, turned the hubs in, and came back in 4H.

The next day, I headed out for Portland, about a thousand miles in two days, the entire way with the windows down, to avoid getting gassed by the exhaust. Am I eligible for an "Iron Butt" award?

The attached pictures were taken in June, 2003.

Here's a shot of her on US 12, just east of White Sulfer Springs, MT.

That's the Smith River in the background - altitude is about 8500 feet, I think, maybe higher, and the wind is blowing at about 45 MPH.

Lesson learned: when pissing downwind, a 45mph wind at your back creates enough turbulence that urine will fly back at you!

Kirk

thats a nice 82 :) PS or AC? not much rot it looks like, some but not alot.

I think you know this but the white spoke wheels are the correct and stock wheels for 81+. optional wheels were the chrome fj60 wheels. the hub cap wheels were used thru 1980.

Actually, I did not know the spokers were stock - thanks for the info!

No AC, no PS.

The only non-stock, non-original part on the whole vehicle is an engine block heater. Well, and the tires.

The headliner is intact, for crying out loud!

Dad didn't believe in gussying up his vehicles, so this one hasn't been wrenched to death.

1982 US fj40 brouchre
40639703.jpg

40639691.jpg

40639682.jpg

40639711.jpg

40639674.jpg

40639666.jpg

if you look at the inside(I think) of the wheels you will see a date stamped on it, its the date they were made.

colors and dimensions for 82 Cruisers, from the salemans fact book
27210477.jpg

and my 82 fj40's, both bought from local original owners(in the case of the green one, the widow) both uncut and unmolested, I added OEM PS to the green one, OME suspension, ARB, 8274-50, nice tunes, 33x9.5 on stock wheels painted gray, dual batts, and some other goodies

32483831.jpg

28497585.jpg

and with the white OEM white spokes

27837563.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom