Air cleaner thermal flapper -Sniper install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I am having a bunch of parts for my FJ40 Resto-Mod sand blasted and powder coated.
One of those is the air cleaner assembly.

My FJ40 was desmogged before I got it back in 2000, and the hoses off of the air cleaner were long gone.
The flapper valve in the intake horn of the air cleaner has always worked and I know that the intended purpose of that was to warm up air coming off of the exhaust manifold to help the engine warm up faster, emissions, etc.

I am planning on running a Sniper EFI, so after sand blasting, but before powder coating, I am considering eliminating the flapper valve and TIG welding the air cleaner assembly to make it whole and, more importantly, water/sand tight.

Is this not recommended for a Sniper EFI or does it make any difference?

Also, is the gasket that is on the top lid of the OE air cleaner available or will we need to be careful about not messing that up?

I still run mine, it doesn't bother the Sniper, and it does help IAT a bit on colder days. Does it "need" it, probably not as it has a bit more control for the mixture based on both coolant and IAT...but it doesn't hurt either.

(Mine does have the tubing and the shield in place, fwiw.)

Bumping this to the top.

Got the Air cleaner assembly back from the powder coater.
I had to peel the gasket out of the top lid to be able to powder coat.
Is there something I can use to replace that as it doesn't appear to be available any longer from Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom