Offroad Boar 13000lb winch Amazon 4.5 stars (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Its time, I buried the Super Duty on Monday and my Jeep buddy (with a smittybilt on the front) had to rescue me. Ground is mush right now and a load of oak in the back didnt help. So....

Anybody running one of these wild Boar 13k winches? Equipped with Synthetic rope and wireless remote for $365

Hoping to squeeze it under (and through) an OEM 80 series bumper. Here are dimensions:

"21" long, 9.5" tall, 6.5" wide but power cables extending out front necessitates 9" clearance"

I have my bumper off so headed down to take some measurements...Expertise on winch mounting much appreciated

51diSO2rgwL._SY450_.jpg

Looks very similar to the HF Badlands winch. Wouldn't be surprised if its a rebranded one. FWIW, I'd chose a Badlands winch over a Smittybuilt. But bear with me as I step onto my soapbox......
I have serious reservations about cheaper winches. I realize that more expensive doesn't always mean better, but in the case of winches the cheaper ones on the market have some serious shortcomings IMO. They have to get to that cheaper price point somehow and that most often means cheaper quality materials (i.e. lower quality steel for parts like gears, housing etc) and lower quality electronics and waterproofing.

I view a winch as something that needs to be as close to perfect as possible in terms of reliability. It can be the difference between a challenging situation becoming just a good recovery story or becoming a downright scary and dangerous situation if the winch doesn't work. With lower quality materials and workmanship on the cheaper winches the potential for unexpected failure is much higher. There are stories all over the web and I've seen a few in person of the cheaper winches overheating and failing on short simple pulls, or just not working at all when needed. Those reports are rare with the quality proven brands.

I don't have any personal experience with the Offroad BOAR winch so I'm not making any accusations of the quality of this specific winch but I do suggest digging into the details a bit more before dropping the money on one. Water intrusion is often the achilles heel of an electric winch. The winch body of the BOAR claims to be waterproof but the control box is not. Failed electronics is often the cause of non-operative winches in the field. If you do decide to buy this particular winch, do yourself a favor and takes steps to better waterproof both the gearbox and the control box.
I'd rather spend a bit more money to have a winch that has higher quality components and proven reliability. My personal choice is ComeUp. If ComeUp wasn't an option, it would be a Warn (not the VR series).

Off my soapbox....
To answer your question about mounting one of these, a HF universal winch mounting plate should work well. It might need to be modified slightly to fit fit the 80 frame properly but shouldn't take more than a few minutes with a cutoff wheel and maybe a drill. Then it should bolt up to the 80 frame and have plenty of room behind a stock bumper and between the frame rails.

Good post @Box Rocket.

I also know nothing about this winch. Could be good or not so good. With these unknown brands it's a crap shoot. But good food for thought in the above post.

Actually my Jeep buddy has owned Warn before and told me they are a rip-off. He has been using his smittybilt for 5-6 years, owns a farm, and has rescued us on the river multiple times (Lower Yuba has nasty baja-style do-it-yourself beach and cobble launches). Never a problem, has never had to use the snatch block, and has stories of pulling out his dodge dually, his back-hoe (not a small one either), and yesterday the F-250 had a full load of oak in the back and he pulled me out of a very deep rut--up hill. His jeep slid about 8" before digging in. Never owned a winch and really appreciate the input, just relaying what he said and he someone I trust.

Actually my Jeep buddy has owned Warn before and told me they are a rip-off. He has been using his smittybilt for 5-6 years, owns a farm, and has rescued us on the river multiple times (Lower Yuba has nasty baja-style do-it-yourself beach and cobble launches). Never a problem, has never had to use the snatch block, and has stories of pulling out his dodge dually, his back-hoe (not a small one either), and yesterday the F-250 had a full load of oak in the back and he pulled me out of a very deep rut--up hill. His jeep slid about 8" before digging in. Never owned a winch and really appreciate the input, just relaying what he said and he someone I trust.

You should get exactly what your buddies got.

Well luck would have It, I sold three things on craigslist in 2 days (?) and then the next day I randomly checked for listings for winches and 2 hours prior somebody posted a brand new X20 for $300 (the exact model my buddy has save for the metal cable instead of synth). He won it in a raffle in Moab, nice, mine now!
:p
Hoping to install with my stock bumper ASAP, just need the mounting plate. Patience almost always pays off, right...
3B088F70-1F50-430E-B4EA-99B9C21D6F3B.jpeg

Well luck would have It, I sold three things on craigslist in 2 days (?) and then the next day I randomly checked for listings for winches and 2 hours prior somebody posted a brand new X20 for $300 (the exact model my buddy has save for the metal cable instead of synth). He won it in a raffle in Moab, nice, mine now!
:p
Hoping to install with my stock bumper ASAP, just need the mounting plate. Patience almost always pays off, right...View attachment 1950688
There isn't a mounting plate out there that is as simple a solution as a "cut off wheel" and "drill a couple of holes, but if you can weld, it'll take you less than an hour.

There isn't a mounting plate out there that is as simple a solution as a "cut off wheel" and "drill a couple of holes, but if you can weld, it'll take you less than an hour.
It's possible that there is on that could be a "cut and bolt-in" option. I used a Universal winch mounting plate that I got through Harbor Freight when I added a winch mount to my modded ARB bumper. IIRC, I cut off about 2.5" on both ends so that it would fit the bumper. It would have been *possible* to have it bolt in place on top of the frame using the factory holes/bolts that also hold the bumper. I chose to weld it to the bumper (which I believe is a better choice) and as mentioned would be a quick solution for anyone that has access to a welder.

It's possible that there is on that could be a "cut and bolt-in" option. I used a Universal winch mounting plate that I got through Harbor Freight when I added a winch mount to my modded ARB bumper. IIRC, I cut off about 2.5" on both ends so that it would fit the bumper. It would have been *possible* to have it bolt in place on top of the frame using the factory holes/bolts that also hold the bumper. I chose to weld it to the bumper (which I believe is a better choice) and as mentioned would be a quick solution for anyone that has access to a welder.
You can't have it mount on top of the frame and have the winch behind the factory bumper. The winch has to sit between the frame rails. I wish I'd taken photos the last time I did this, but it's really simple, and like I said, takes about an hours work.

You can't have it mount on top of the frame and have the winch behind the factory bumper. The winch has to sit between the frame rails. I wish I'd taken photos the last time I did this, but it's really simple, and like I said, takes about an hours work.
Right. I was using an ARB bumper. But I believe it could be done by bolting it to the bottom of the frame. That would put the Winch between the frame rails.

thanks guys. I now plan on welding in between the bumper/mount frame to squeeze behind stock bumper. I guess I’ll just have to figure it out as I go. Suckers heavy so may need a buddy to just help me mount it intitially and see, then go from here. Even with measurements things always seem to fit slightly different than planned

thanks guys. I now plan on welding in between the bumper/mount frame to squeeze behind stock bumper. I guess I’ll just have to figure it out as I go. Suckers heavy so may need a buddy to just help me mount it intitially and see, then go from here. Even with measurements things always seem to fit slightly different than planned
I would definitely try to put the mount in as a bolt on rather than welding it to the frame. The mounting plate shouldn't be very heavy?

Ok Its time, I buried the Super Duty on Monday and my Jeep buddy (with a smittybilt on the front) had to rescue me. Ground is mush right now and a load of oak in the back didnt help. So....

Anybody running one of these wild Boar 13k winches? Equipped with Synthetic rope and wireless remote for $365

Hoping to squeeze it under (and through) an OEM 80 series bumper. Here are dimensions:

"21" long, 9.5" tall, 6.5" wide but power cables extending out front necessitates 9" clearance"

I have my bumper off so headed down to take some measurements...Expertise on winch mounting much appreciated

51diSO2rgwL._SY450_.jpg

I had one of these but it was called a Badlands and I bought it from HF. They work fine and there is a ton of information out there on them. It's surprising how many re-brands there are of this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom