Official Camping Trip Report Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camping at Clear Lake Wednesday night, right at 12k feet. Hard to do this place justice through pictures.

5F12CDF9-AF2E-41FE-A585-D1D45CD0DFC8.jpeg

B08980C6-FF8F-4E9E-AE30-7520A1C70188.jpeg

My whole family and a few good friends (Brandon and John) just did an eight day CO trip. Four nights camping, four in hotels or cabins. As always it was outstanding.

Came up from the SE corner via Raton pass. First night was spent on Medano pass, then we dropped down into Great Sand Dunes for a quick visit.

IMG_3501-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_62-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_65-X2.jpg
IMG_3507-XL.jpg

IMG_3526-XL.jpg
IMG_3539-XL.jpg
IMG_3498-XL.jpg

Last edited:
We did get to drive right through some of the wildfires on the way into Medano...was pretty surreal. Both sides of the road were completely burned out, with firefighters and choppers dumping water everywhere. You can see a helicopter in far right of below pic. Entire mountainside was on fire.

IMG_3493-XL.jpg

Part of the deal with the wife was to always jump back into civilization, so the next day we headed into Salida for food and beer, and hung out downtown for a while. Headwaters of the Arkansas River are near salida, and the river flows right through downtown. There is a park on the river, with lots of cool shops and bars within walking distance. Had a great time.

That night was spent in an AirBnb south of town, a tiny house cabin. Brandon and John camped down the hill. Views did not disappoint.
IMG_3548-XL.jpg

Next morning we headed west over Monarch Pass and into Gunnison, and met up with Tom and Ben, making the group 5 trucks. Destination was the hills north of Lake City. 11 miles off pavement, found a completely isolated spot for the night looking over a huge valley. Made camp early and relaxed.

IMG_3561-XL.jpg

Obligatory skottle pic. Have to say this was one of the better spots we have ever cooked breakfast...
IMG_3568-XL.jpg

Next morning was a late one, everyone slept in and we headed out after 10. Stopped in Lake City for a great lunch, some fishing licenses and lures, and a food restock. Bout an hour south of town we hit dirt again, this time onto Stony Pass, which drops you into Silverton on the western side.

Stony pass follows the Rio Grande up into the mountains, all the way to the headwaters. We found a great camping spot about 6 miles south of the pass. John and i did a little fishing..didn't catch anything, but sh*t who cares at this point. Fly fishing at 12k feet on a 70* sunny day 1500 miles from S-Town is always a good day in my book. PS Lou's Full Serv hat always on point.

IMG_3600-XL.jpg

Nolen 'assless chaps' comments in 3..2...1...
IMG_3603-XL.jpg

IMG_3615-XL.jpg

IMG_3627-XL.jpg

Morning coffee also did not suck.

IMG_3628-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Next three days were spent in Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, and surrounding country, dropping into the 100s in the Hills event daily and in the evenings. I've been attending HiH for 6 years...Stan and Chris have turned it into a really great event. We didn't camp at the campground (had a hotel) but we spent a lot of time with everyone there, had a ball.

I led a group up to Clear Lake and another more remote trail on Saturday, and had a great time. Clear Lake is awesome, i try to go every year.

fullsizeoutput_b5-X2.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b9-X2.jpg

Driving lessons
IMG_3677-XL.jpg

My only fish...he cost me $60 in licenses and bait, but it was worth it.
IMG_3723-XL.jpg

IMG_3751-XL.jpg

IMG_3774-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c3-X2.jpg

Awesome Andy great pics. Salida is a cool town, I had a buddy move there from Ar. So I’ve spent a little time there. Man I miss the lake city, Ouray area I need to get back. Thanks for the write up, where did the trailer go ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom