Official 37" and up picture thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

37x12.50s on fj cruiser wheels with no spacers. Rubs the front control arms a tiny bit in the front at full lock. And rubs on the bedsides.

IMG_2320.JPG

Ugh, you guys are killing me.

@BlueCruiser84 that’s one of my fav 80s on mud. Have you had a chance to put it on a scale yet?

If I end up keeping my 80 after my 40 Buggy is finished I’ll be chopping...to keep an enclosed cab wheeler.

@BlueCruiser84 that’s one of my fav 80s on mud. Have you had a chance to put it on a scale yet?

If I end up keeping my 80 after my 40 Buggy is finished I’ll be chopping...to keep an enclosed cab wheeler.

Thanks!

I put it on a scale and it's 4800# with 37s, a 35" spare, me (170lbs), a winch, and that tube bumper.

I was surprised that it was still "so heavy".

This is my currents set up for road and trail travel. HiLift and spare driveshaft are between the 2nd row and the tire, shovel on one side during the winter and all of the rest of my crap is in the box on top of the 37. Easy access to the Yankum Rope on the right.

(I just talked the :princess: into keeping the tire inside as long as we still build a sleeping platform above it. )

View attachment 1643118

Here’s mine without the grocery and ski clutter.

47E4A00B-4EE4-4E7B-A7F0-830FECEEEBB0.jpeg

Hi-lift jack, front and rear axle and birf spares, and spare rear driveshaft between tire and second row.

Winter shovel, tow strap, first aid, and tool bags around the sides. Would be super easy to put a platform over it.

If I need the spare, the dirty one would just go up on the roof rack for the rest of the trip.

There’s enough space like this for a 40” spare.

Holy s*** !
You can lift a mounted 37” tire high enough to put it on the roof ?!?!

I can barely get it on the lug nuts !!

I think once you go to some thicker ply 37s or larger.....carrying a spare becomes a little more optional and a lot easier to beef up patching kit/plugs/tube/boots etc.

I recall reading something from Mark Whatley ages ago on the subject which had me rethinking the spare option.

when I ran the 38xmls there was definitely no need for a spare as those could be driven with zero air and sidewalls still could roll out of anywhere at trail speed for serious repairs before hitting highway home.. and not having to hoist a 137lb spare onto the rear swingout was nice change/. Helped with visibility out of the rear and basically offset the weight of 3 jerries of gas. Im not sure if this would work for the super heavy rigs here on mud but @5000lbs it was a no brainer as there wasn’t too much sidewall deformation with no air to pop it off the rimL

It would be a good trial to see if the 10ply Toyos could hold a bead at 0-5lbs of air (which I’d been meaning to try but never got around to once offloading the XML’s.)

Last edited:
Holy s*** !
You can lift a mounted 37” tire high enough to put it on the roof ?!?!

I can barely get it on the lug nuts !!

There are some tricks in a pinch - My rig is bedlined and so less care is needed :hillbilly:.

I don’t wheel alone - it’s no big deal for two people to put it up there.

I think once you go to some thicker ply 37s or larger.....carrying a spare becomes a little more optional and a lot easier to beef up patching kit/plugs/tube/boots etc.

I recall reading something from Mark Whatley ages ago on the subject which had me rethinking the spare option.

when I ran the 38xmls there was definitely no need for a spare as those could be driven with zero air and sidewalls still could roll out of anywhere at trail speed for serious repairs before hitting highway home.. and not having to hoist a 137lb spare onto the rear swingout was nice change/. Helped with visibility out of the rear and basically offset the weight of 3 jerries of gas. Im not sure if this would work for the super heavy rigs here on mud but @5000lbs it was a no brainer as there wasn’t too much sidewall deformation with no air to pop it off the rimL

It would be a good trial to see if the 10ply Toyos could hold a bead at 0-5lbs of air (which I’d been meaning to try but never got around to once offloading the XML’s.)

I’m not sure a radial will operate as a flat. I can remember people saying that the XML “don’t need air” but different beast?

I agree that 37” spares are a huge PITA. They are enormous off the back of the truck, and there’s really no good answer. Imagine putting a 40x13.5 on a carrier.

I had swapped to a 9/34-16 LT LTB (basically a 35x9 as compared to a radial) for my trail spare because the whole thing is about 80 lbs with rim and it had a low roof profile.

96A546C9-751F-4917-9F42-8DAAC3AAC988.jpeg

I still think that’s the best trail solution, but since I have it inside now it makes no sense to avoid the full size spare.

I just posted that LTB setup in Classifieds.

That give a new meaning to "space saver" spare ;)

Reactions: Nay
I’m not sure a radial will operate as a flat. I can remember people saying that the XML “don’t need air” but different beast?

I agree that 37” spares are a huge PITA. They are enormous off the back of the truck, and there’s really no good answer. Imagine putting a 40x13.5 on a carrier.

I had swapped to a 9/34-16 LT LTB (basically a 35x9 as compared to a radial) for my trail spare because the whole thing is about 80 lbs with rim and it had a low roof profile.

View attachment 1643820

I still think that’s the best trail solution, but since I have it inside now it makes no sense to avoid the full size spare.

I have similar setup and it fit just fine in the stock location with spare lift kit @NLXTACY sells! They have both 15 and 16 inch size.

| Interco Tire

Last edited:
Reactions: Nay
My 2 beasts. Left on 37s. Right on 40s.
20180228_134814.jpg
20180228_134752.jpg

View attachment 1643820

Is this photo with the new Dobinson's or before? Did you end up getting 3" or 4" Flexi's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom