OEM/Spector rear seatbelt install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear 3-point belt conversion arrived today, but I can't figure how the retracting lap belt installs. The directions aren't very helpful. Anybody who has these installed can you take a picture or describe how they're supposed to be mounted?
Thanks.

Perhaps you can scan and post the SOR instructions and ask what's confusing?

The instrcutions are just one picture. What I don't know is where the retractor end of the lap belt attaches.

I did a three point retractable setup in my 60. I did not use the Specter stuff though. I would imagine that with any retrofit you will have to drill a hole in the wall sheet metal to attach both the retractor and the fixed end of the belt. The latch pieces just go where the originals went. As for the pivot point of the retracable side, you may or may not have a threaded bung in place from the factory. If you do, just thread the pivot bolt in. If you do not, you'll have to devise a way to fish a nut up inside the wall and hold it in place long enough to thread the pivot bolt into it. Take a look at my "Turdle" thread (linked in my sig) to see what I did. It's on the last couple of posts. I just finished the job recently.

To make sure you've got the threaded hole in the pillar above the rear seat, feel around with your finger on the headliner felt and you should be able to feel a dime-sized hole under the felt. I used a needle to poke through and sort of ran the tip along the threads of the bolt hole to make sure it was already threaded, before cutting a hole in the headliner.

My '88 FJ62 had the threaded bung on the C-pillar and I had to cut a little sheet metal and drill holes to mount the reels. Measure twice.

Yeah the c pillar is good. I'm not worried about the shoulder piece, just the lap belt.

Dan,

Did you look at my thread? I drilled the sheet metal on the wall as low as possible close to the fender well. The metal there is double thickness so it is the strongest location if your retractor will let you get down that low. The fixed end of the retractable side was drilled in the fender well close to the floor. There is a small area there that is double or triple thick. Drill it. Bolt goes in from the interior and big washer and nut goes on from the tire side of the fender well. I used some RTV behind the washer and nut to keep water from leaking in from the fender area.

Dave

I did, but the belts you have are completely different from the OEM ones.

Attachment points should be the same as mine. You are going to have to drill some holes. Just make sure you choose to drill in a spot that is reinforced. One layer of sheet metal is not strong enough for a belt attachment point IMO.

Well, after looking at another 60 I figured out my problem. My tub is different from the US spec 60s and doesn't have the place in the floor to attach the retracting mechanism.:(

Send the SOR ones back and use the setup I used from Seatbeltplanet. It puts the retractor on the side. A huge benefit of this setup is that the shoulder belt retracts instead of the factory setup where the shoulder belt is mostly fixed but can be adjusted with constant fiddling. A modern three-point retractable setup is the way to go IMO. I like mine. Install was fairly straightforward as you can see from my build thread.

Send the SOR ones back and use the setup I used from Seatbeltplanet. It puts the retractor on the side. A huge benefit of this setup is that the shoulder belt retracts instead of the factory setup where the shoulder belt is mostly fixed but can be adjusted with constant fiddling. A modern three-point retractable setup is the way to go IMO. I like mine. Install was fairly straightforward as you can see from my build thread.
Yeah, I was hoping to keep it all OEM but looks like that's the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom