OEM E-Lockers vs. Harrop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the Harrops in my 80 for two years now. They rock! on and off with a flip of the switch. I would add them again in a heartbeat. They only thing I wish I did when I had them installed was re-gear. I want bigger tires!!

You can change the Tcase gears by 10% ( high range ) to compensate for the larger tires as well.
We have the UD gears in stock as well as the 3.1:1 low range gears.
And of course we also stock the diff rebuild kits and ring & pinion kits.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

You'll find the right 80 ......

Harrop install takes about the same amount of labor as any other mechanical locker.
The installation of the switch as well as running the wires takes 1-2 hours.

I'm going to ask a stupid question...Can you upgrade from the factory Toyota lockers to Harrop lockers? Can you delete the OEM locker solenoid? Do you have to have a non-locked truck to install the Harrop lockers?

Can be done. But you'd have to change third members to the open-carrier style.

If you really want to get rid of good working factory lockers, i’m Pretty sure there is plenty of demand for them. Just post up that you want to do a swap. There are still a few of us dummies that like them.

I have two 80’s that came unlocked and are now sporting Harrops. I love them. All 4 were installed at Tandem Automotive in Ft Worth.

Another thumbs up on the Harrops. Got one in the rear of my 80 and plan to do the front soon. Had ARB in a 91 pickup and too many issues with leaks IMO. Factory lockers are in such high demand you won't find many used parts locker specific axles and will pay a premium when you need parts. They are old enough to start having problems, and I've heard the non locker axle is actually stronger then the factory locker axle due to a design difference.

I'm pretty sure the unlocked land cruiser will handle the hills in Austin...

You might be surprised to know there is some seriously challenging terrain in the Austin area. I grew up and went to school there, spent plenty of time on Ranches that had as much challenge as you'd like (in terms of 4WD/off-roading). There is some stuff you can't make a good ranch horse go through.

Plenty of steep, stair-stepping limestone trails (if you can call them that). And when 'limestone' gets wet...its turns to 'slimestone'. Since I moved away...Austin has grown all the way out to the lake (and beyond) so there probably aren't too many places you can go now days that would give the average Land Cruiser any trouble. But there are still privately owned Ranches/Properties that have terrain that will get your heart rate up and test your vehicle.

Last edited:
I have the Harrops in my 80 for two years now. They rock! on and off with a flip of the switch. I would add them again in a heartbeat. They only thing I wish I did when I had them installed was re-gear. I want bigger tires!!

That's the next big upgrade I'm making to my truck. I'm doing the regear at the same time.

The harrop e-locker is on my list. I couldn't find a clean triple locked rig, but I did find a very nice, white, 96. She's got 80 miles over 200k and if I can find the money I will be doing this.

Don't we all.............................................................

The are plenty of 80’s that made it to the US and there is no reason to settle on a truck with rust no matter what options it may have. Personally I don’t care if it just hit 100k and has a trd blower, factory lockers etc, if it has rust holes in the body or “surface” rust underneath I’m walking. I tell my customers that are in the market to find the cleanest one in there price range and buy it. You can add whatever you want to it down the road but you can’t reverse rust damage.

The are plenty of 80’s that made it to the US and there is no reason to settle on a truck with rust no matter what options it may have. Personally I don’t care if it just hit 100k and has a trd blower, factory lockers etc, if it has rust holes in the body or “surface” rust underneath I’m walking. I tell my customers that are in the market to find the cleanest one in there price range and buy it. You can add whatever you want to it down the road but you can’t reverse rust damage.

Sage advice! :wrench:

+1

Why 80's from non-corrosion states are really worth the $$$, esp if someone has a chubby for factory lockers. $400 actuators are compelling on their own.

Anymore I'm after clean & nice over anything locked. I've converted both with e-lockers & ARB air, it's never going to be e-lockers again due to parts availability/$$$.

Harrops or ARB, just buy a clean 80 & frankly add a winch 1st, then worry about how you lock the axles.

Winch > lockers, IMO.
I believe i had qa chubby when searching, and still kinda do LOL

This thread makes me feel really good about the '93 that I just bought. It is clean, rust-free, and has the factory lockers. The seller bought it in '99 and said he never had it locked, and that he bought it from a soccer mom. I got it for $6800. Maybe a bit high, but I felt good about its history, so I nabbed it.

That being said, if the factory lockers have never been used, is there anything I should do to them, should I decide to try them out?

That being said, if the factory lockers have never been used, is there anything I should do to them, should I decide to try them out?
Exercise is good for them.

Exercise is good for them.
Meaning turning them on and off mainly. It's the actuators that go out from non use. The internals are covered in gear oil and always well lubed.

+1

Harrops or ARB, just buy a clean 80 & frankly add a winch 1st, then worry about how you lock the axles.

I'm with you on this. I had ARB in my Tacoma and have 2 ARBs in my Cruiser. I like them a lot.

Good to know, I will give them a try this weekend in the snow :)

Go shift into L in a gravel lot, test them / do figure 8's in town - beats finding out up above the snowline ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom