Odd issue after installing CityRacer LED's 05/70 FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed the CityRacer LED lights in my 05/70 FJ55 and what a difference it has made. Except now when in the low beam position- when I move the lever to either a left or right turn, both of the indicator lights on my panel flash - similar to a hazard switch. Front and rear turns signals are working correctly when this happens. If the switch is in the high beam position, if I turn left the right indicator dash light flashes, but my left front and rear turn signal is flashing as it should and just the opposite- indicate right turn and the left dash light flashes , but the right front and left turn signal are working correctly.
I did not have any issues prior to switching out the headlights. I did a search and did not come across anything.
Let me know what you think.

headlight.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

Well, I'm never had anyone experience this problem, so I'll ask a few questions.
  • Are your turn signal bulbs stock or have you replaced those with LEDs?
  • Are your dash blinkers stock or have you replaced those with LEDs?
  • Are you getting more rapid blinking or is it the same as before?
The only turn signal related issue I've heard of are caused by putting LED bulbs in turn signal lights, and the solution is given here.
@ToyotaMatt has installed City Racer LED headlights into a FJ55, so I hope he can weigh in.
@Coolerman might also have some ideas.

I put City Racer LED headlights in my '74 FJ55. I did have a problem but figured it was my fault because i probably had a bad wire. I overlaid a wire from the switch to the headlights and they worked. Love them BTW. Put LED turn signal bulbs all around, used 2 Coolerman flashers to make them work.

Well, I'm never had anyone experience this problem, so I'll ask a few questions.
The only turn signal related issue I've heard of are caused by putting LED bulbs in turn signal lights, and the solution is given here.
@ToyotaMatt has installed City Racer LED headlights into a FJ55, so I hope he can weigh in.

@elroberds

did you also add LED front fender mounted lamp bulbs by chance ?

or

the green indicator small wedge bulbs in then cluster meter by chance ?

- if possible , inspect your HAZARD switch connector to wire harness main connector plugs , look for any melting or singed / burnt terminals , the wires atop soldered circuit board to the switch itself and from the harness side connector as up till 8" back where it intersects ..

- the LED lamps would NOT have caused this to be clear but it seams u have some 12V+ jumping around some where ?

- also , inspect ALL the Bullet connections / to harness side turn signal wires and connections well turn signal switch circuit

- focus on your hazard switch and the FLASHER can plugs and connectors , lube well with DI-Electric grease if no issues are visually found

i hope this helps ?

i have not come across this issue before ?

kindly matt

All bulbs are stock. Blinking is at the same rate prior switching out to the LED's. No issues with any lighting prior.
Literally all I did yesterday was unplug the old stock bulbs- plug in the LED's and drive it at night to see the difference.
I didn't even pop the hood.
I am going to put the originals back in tomorrow to see if it reverts back working correctly.

As strange as it may sound...whenever I encounter a weird electrical problem the first thing I do is clean all of the grounds. Try to insure the grounds on the headlight buckets and the socket contacts are clean and shiny. This has slayed many electrical gremlins in my lifetime.

As strange as it may sound...whenever I encounter a weird electrical problem the first thing I do is clean all of the grounds. Try to insure the grounds on the headlight buckets and the socket contacts are clean and shiny. This has slayed many electrical gremlins in my lifetime.

My first thought was maybe a ground was somehow jostled.

@Racer65
@ToyotaMatt

I just unplugged the LED's and plugged in the originals and everything is back to normal. Left signal- single left dash light blinks /all blinkers working correctly. Right signal- right dash light blinks/ all blinkers working correctly. Dash indicators lights are slightly brighter with original headlights in place.
Same whether or not the lights are in the low or high beam placement.

Last edited:
@Racer65
@ToyotaMatt

I just unplugged the LED's and plugged in the originals and everything is back to normal. Left signal- single left dash light blinks /all blinkers working correctly. Right signal- right dash light blinks/ all blinkers working correctly. Dash indicators lights are slightly brighter with original headlights in place.
Same whether or not the lights are in the low or high beam placement.
LEDs only allow power through one way, I’d bet there’s a ground issue with your front lights and they were grounding through the stock bulbs.

Below there’s a link “Never underestimate the importance of a ground”

If it helps, add too it. I’ve been trying to make it a resource to help everyone.

“Electrical problems are usually quick and easy to fix…

finding them is what takes time and can be difficult”

While not LED the 60 series Halogen upgrade is a great value. Especially the wiring harness that isolates the new highlights from original wiring. For the cost of the whole kit I wouldn't bother making a custom wiring harness. I wouldn't upgrade the headlight without one. Besides overloading the old wiring harness don't like old and new technology. Two sometimes cause problems that can easily avoided.

My 55 has a newer 2F that was installed in the late 90’s and the PO did a great job with the wiring. The ground off of the fuse block looks clean and shiny with dialectic grease. I am going to clean the fuse block and make sure all connections are clean. Other than that🤷‍♂️

D885BA74-0995-429B-80DC-28CEC4B4F7C8.jpeg

Are the turn signal lights LED or Incandescent?

While not a 55 (although I do own one) when I replaced my HMMWV M1097A2 incandescent headlights and turn signal bulbs with LED front and rear I experienced what you are describing. My problem stemmed from when you reduce the electrical draw by replacing turn signals and other items with LEDs below the draw required for the flasher unit to operate.

For my problem the simple fix was to update the flasher unit to one that is LED compatible. I also ended up having to replace the incandescent bulb in the turn signal stalk with an LED to resolve the issue.

Are the turn signal lights LED or Incandescent?

While not a 55 (although I do own one) when I replaced my HMMWV M1097A2 incandescent headlights and turn signal bulbs with LED front and rear I experienced what you are describing. My problem stemmed from when you reduce the electrical draw by replacing turn signals and other items with LEDs below the draw required for the flasher unit to operate.

For my problem the simple fix was to update the flasher unit to one that is LED compatible. I also ended up having to replace the incandescent bulb in the turn signal stalk with an LED to resolve the issue.
No- all bulbs are incandescent. Only change was adding the headlights.

The LED flasher suggestion is worth a try.
Take a close look and see if part of the wiring harness has undergone replacement or modification as part of the engine swap. It's been reported that certain types of aftermarket wire harness aren't compatible with LED.
Of course, if all else fails you can return these lights and stay with halogen.
Very clean looking FJ55 by the way. You don't find many in this condition.

Coolerman has adapters for adding LED-compatable flaster to existing setup, depending on if your current flasher is two-pin or three:

On the left side of page, under 'Flasher Relays/Adapters'

Toyota offers one, also:

The wierd thing is. 55s use one flasher for both turn signals and hazards. 40s use two flashers, one flasher for each task. We (Cooletman & myself) tried to figure out how to replicate the 55s function with LEDs. And did ok, sort of. I ended up wiring in two of his 40 flashers. Works fine unless my foot is on the brakes. Then the hazards stay solid.

The wierd thing is. 55s use one flasher for both turn signals and hazards. 40s use two flashers, one flasher for each task. We (Cooletman & myself) tried to figure out how to replicate the 55s function with LEDs. And did ok, sort of. I ended up wiring in two of his 40 flashers. Works fine unless my foot is on the brakes. Then the hazards stay solid.
I've had four 40s a 72, two 77s and a 78. All of them had a single flasher that was used with the turn signals and hazards. What year(s) of 40 have multiple flashers?

My July’74 also has a single flasher. When my flasher stopped working recently the first replacement also didn’t flash. In the end I bought one of these:

334F5DD5-931A-4FC9-9B28-8DE926E84179.jpeg
B7811078-3BE2-4A5C-9247-42015786DE33.jpeg

It’s not load dependant and flashes at a steady speed. It uses a circuit board to control timing and works with LED, incandescent, or anything in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom