OBD II Code Reader (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on doing repairs myself as much as I can and was wondering if I should invest and get one. What do you guys think? I got the FSM from Cdan (thank you) and want to be ready.

Adrian,
An OBD-II tool is invaluable for you if your vehicle is OBD-II and you are going try to do your own diagnostics and repairs. Most of us wait until we have a code that won't self-heal. Then we ask around about what tool is the "best." Then we buy whatever we can afford and use it to diagnosis the problem and hopefully to fix the MIL.

Do some searching on this forum for several good posts that include recommendations, prices, screen shots, pros/cons, etc.

-B-

Autozone will read them for free. :)

Welcome back Wrench.

Nice avatar... I think. :(

-B-

It brings new meaning to being "upside down" in your car. :-\

Harbor Freight has a OBD II reader that will also clear your codes....... cost $49.95 <harborfreight.com> It works great!

eh, 99,
I was looking at this Harbor Freight one too. Will it do all the codes -both Federal and Manufacturer? and reset everything as needed ?
If so, seems like a good deal. Cheapest other I have seen was like $100.
thanks
Eric

Wrench,
How are you doing? I saw some of the pics in the chi-chat section. :eek:

:whoops: guess I should of posted this one in chi-chat

The Harbor Freight's OBD II code reader is manufactured by LAUNCH. It reads SAE OBD II and Manufacturer OBD II codes and comes with a booklet that list the code definitions. It has worked great for me so far.

Just reading codes won't really do it. O2 sensors need to be monitored to be checked as well as the EGR system. Search on that error and you'll find plenty on how hard it is to fix with just knowing the code and not being able to "SEE" what the ECM sees. The pc type Readers/Scanners allow real time monitoring and logging of several sensors at the same time so you can compare relative variables on a malfuctioning circuit.

The HF OBD II code reader will read any codes stored in the ECU, and will clear them after they are all displayed four times. As stated earlier in this thread by landtank, the reader is just that, a "reader". It will not assist any further than that. But, if you are like me, when the "check engine" light comes on, I want to know what set it off, and the code reader is ideal for that.

I can't find this part in the HF catalog? Anyone have a part#?

Ok, I found it. These are also found all over Ebay for about $5 cheaper than HF.

Uh, yeah Wench, but Autozone ain't going to Dave's to tell ya that your truck is upside down and that dripping on your chin is :urinate: :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom