O R I O N (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heck, that's an old school used car trick. Saw dust to quiet down the gear noise until it leaves the lot.

If I don't sell my FJ40 this year, I'm going in search of a NOS H41. It would be great with the Orion and all Toyota.Too bad the USA didn't get H41s. Nice and short, decent low gear, perfect now. Maybe not in the day when they were daily drivers.

SOR imports and sells rebuilt H41's, that's where I bought mine. They have a 20% off sale for their "club" members once a year; reason enough to join the club for one year and buy the H41.

The H41 gearing is great with my 33" tires and 3.70 diffs on the street, and the Orion makes it nice on the trail too.

No, the dust came from the crate the seller made. In transit, the trans came loose and punched through the thin particle-board and just chewed it up, creating a ton of sawdust. The spacer was also lost in the process.

This is after I cleaned it up, but it was packed with loose particle-board. Seller was trying to keep it to the 70kg weight limit for DHL, otherwise it must go freight and it's a lot more Euros .... I put the blue tape on the shifter opening. Seller said there was a cap there that was also lost, so I think the box was opened and resealed, possibly for customs... Wires off the reverse switch were yanked, too.

H41.JPG

Last edited:
A couple more good sized chips inside the front bearing retainer.
F913CCD6-AF88-4C3C-9E92-A0CC6B089B8F.jpeg

@65swb45

Really glad you asked about that front seal !

:clap:

Rebuilding my Orion case that was previously setup by the case's PO/unknown mechanic. Case #459. Was planning to just reseal it as it had a couple decent leaks...but figured I might as well do a full rebuild if I was pulling it. Purchased a rebuild kit from @orangefj45 (thanks for the super fast shipping!) and also will be using a new high/low sleeve.

Glad I did. The clearance on the high speed gear was massive...like a 1/4". Maybe it wasn't that way when it was assembled but was when I pulled the main shaft. Also, the thrust 'washer' on the high speed side was a stack of misc shims. Not a stepped thrust washer or stock thrust washer. Ironically I had no issues popping out of gear during the limited trail time it has seen.

I've cleaned/painted and in process of reassembling now. The end play for the high speed gear is .011. This is using one of the 4 stock thrust washers I have on hand. I've read the number to shoot for is .008/.009 even though the AA acceptable range is .008-.012.

Will swapping out the current thrust washer for another thrust washer in my stack potentially change the end play?
Does 'flipping' the current thrust washer potentially change the end play?
Will the end play potentially decrease when the nose cone, rest of the gear set (low speed side) and speedo housing is installed...or does this just affect preload?

Thanks for any advice! This is my first time rebuilding and I want to get this right.

Ok, I think I’m gtg now. This morning I pressed the bearings on assembling the output shaft on the bench and verified I have .009 clearance for both the low and high speed sides.

View attachment 1784405
Might want to install a speedi sleeve on your parking brake drum while your at it if it has a groove from the seal from years of use.

Just curious if anyone has had an Orion failure/break aside from the staying in gear issue of old ?

I had a self induced one when I overtightened the output shaft nut with an impact. I forget what was wrong but I do remember it required $300 in parts and a trip to valley hybrids.

I wouldn't have done that just because the nut is supposed to be torqued, but I have to wonder what problem(s) overtightening the output nut would cause.

Mine still pops out of LO gear occasionally. It's usually when bouncing down hill in low gear and is not typically a problem. Two or three years ago on a long trip, it started to pop into Neutral from HI and that was a concern. It was my original output shaft, so I rebuilt it and replaced the output shaft and returned everything to proper specs. It hasn't done that since.

I have never fully tightened the shift detent screw as per the AA fix. I think I still have a little room to do that, so the next time I have it out I'll bottom out the shift detent.

I had a self induced one when I overtightened the output shaft nut with an impact. I forget what was wrong but I do remember it required $300 in parts and a trip to valley hybrids.

Last edited:
3:1 vs 4:1
Anyone get a 3:1 gear set and think it was not too low?
Anyone get a 4:1 gear set and think it was too low?

I know the 3:1 gear sets are no longer available but still wanted to get opinions. I am thinking of putting one behind a H41 with 4:10 axle gears and 33's

thanks in advance,
Rob

I know the 3:1 gear sets are no longer available but still wanted to get opinions. I am thinking of putting one behind a H41 with 4:10 axle gears and 33's

thanks in advance,
Rob

I suppose it comes down to what kind of wheeling you like to do, but the stock (one-piece) case is +/- 2:1 depending on the year, So, you're not getting that much more bang for your buck with 3:1 in my opinion.

I am running a 4:1 Orion behind an H41, with 3.70 diffs and 33" tires. I really like this combination; it gives me a 1st gear, low range crawl ratio of 78:1 and some overlap between low range and high-range final ratios, so that I don't have to shift back and forth between low and high range all the time on the trail. So, the 4:1 Orion is not too low for me, it's about just right for what I like to do.

On the highway, I get the rubber overdrive of 33's and still have the 5.3:1 first gear of the H41 to get going from a stop.

Rob I love the 4:1 Orions. I actually have an idler gear here from a 3:1 Orion whose output shaft was assemble incorrectly without enough clearance. The owner had to buy a 4:1 gear set as the 3:1 parts were no longer available. If assembled properly they're a great product. I've repaired two that were not done properly.

thanks in advance,
Rob
I think 4:1 is perfect honestly. 3:1 I dont think would be enough.

Anyone broken a front output shaft? I see the 1/78 have a fine 27 spline set up. Looks like Georg has built some like this but I do not see a supplier for these. I am not talking about the shift rail section but the section the yoke bolts to. Does anyone make or sell a new fine spline front output? I can not find them on the web. It is Sunday so I can not call.

Anyone broken a coarse spline? My friend used to break them in his 3 spd set up but he had a 396 BBC and 39's, not the smartest combo...

Yes & yes. We see broken 10 spline front outputs occasionally and yes we stock the 27 spline front output and flange of your spec (driveline pattern) at Cruiser Outfitters. In most cases, any t-case we built be it an Orion or standard, gets fine spline shafts when practical.

Yes & yes. We see broken 10 spline front outputs occasionally and yes we stock the 27 spline front output and flange of your spec (driveline pattern) at Cruiser Outfitters. In most cases, any t-case we built be it an Orion or standard, gets fine spline shafts when practical.
thanks Kurt! I saw you had the correct flanges but I did not see the shafts on the site. Do you mind sending me a pm on some pricing?
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom