NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need the lengths of the bolts used to fastener the stock Toyota transfer case to the stock Toyota transmission. I don’t have those handy.
45mm

Here is one of the things the gauge is useful for. To center the plate on the nv4500 housing so the holes can be adjusted. Outside profile is perfect now.

Aluminum is being cut now. ;)

Plates are done and off to anodize. They are currently running way behind because of a large industrial job so I have time to decide on final color. I’m open to suggestions. Right now I’m leaning towards burnt orange or light blue.

These pieces were machined ok both sides to guarantee even flatness without any high spots. That’s the biggest mistake of not fly cutting the machined edge from the metal supplier.

Looking good. Living in Austin burnt orange reminds me of drunk obnoxious University of Texas students and alumni. But my current color choice for my truck build is Kobota orange but that may change due to previous statement. So my vote would be blue.

I got some questions on FB so I figured I’d post here as well:

It is machined from 6061-T6511 1 inch plate which has same yield strength as T-6. No to hard ano because then I’d have to mask the treads and the thickness isn’t consistent. Type 2 is ideal for this application.

Hell-coil? The threads will be stronger than the aluminum threads of the cast transmission and transfer case material.

The yield strength of t6 is probably double that of the cast aluminum

Ok folks, just to keep everyone up to date and transparent so that both myself and all of you are on the same page AND so this doesn’t go the way of all other diesel component providers...

I have just paypal’d $3k over to Losti because he took over the shaft part of the kit. Those new input shafts are currently being machined by Dutchmen and then are being shipped directly to me. From that point Losti’s part of this will be complete. I will have plates ready to go in a little bit and all seals are in route.

Once I have everything ready to go I’ll do up some more product photos and a product page for ordering.

Squeaked out some progress since some pieces finally came in. Small change of plans but I think for the better. Originally the plan was to rig up the downpipe and jig then send it to the pipe shop and wait. Instead going to fully weld up the downpipe and drive it back to the SEMA shop for the final emissions test and possibly dyno.

Another change is instead of making the last v-band 2.5”, it’s going to be 3”. This solves a potential issue for those who might go larger exhaust. Basically I don’t want to force someone’s decision. The reducer will come after the v-band but will just be a cut-n-weld.

View attachment 1925411View attachment 1925412

Are you sure you posted in the correct thread? This looks like it’s for the 1FZ-FE turbo project? Not a downpipe for a Cummins 6BT?

Hey guys, I'm soon starting on a 4bt/nv4500 swap into an 80 I recently picked up. I've been doing tons of research over the past 6 months after acquiring a 4bt and wondering what to put it in (I've already done a 6bt swap into a 77 Chevy short bed). My research led me to crusiers and this forum and I'm pretty excited to get this swap going, especially being able to check out other's build threads and how they dealt with issues along the way. The 80's AWD with viscous coupler sounded cool when I learned about it but I wasn't sure how to mate the 4500 to h2fav. Then I found this thread, gotta say a big thanks to you guys working hard to make this happen. I've been following this thread for a while and finally made an account to express my interest and gratitude. I'm late to the party but it appears things went south with the previous guys (duiser.com or something) and it seems like some others have stepped up to make things happen and I respect it. I know it's early in the production but is there any idea/estimate on what this kit might cost? Don't want you to sell yourself short so if you don't want to say right now I totally get it. Just curious if there's a ball park you're aiming for.

I had one other question for those of you with cummins swaps and I know I should probably start another thread for this but is a 4 inch lift required? I think i've seen some say 3 but most others 4 but figured I'd ask while all of you are here. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks, Steve.

Hey guys, I'm soon starting on a 4bt/nv4500 swap into an 80 I recently picked up. I've been doing tons of research over the past 6 months after acquiring a 4bt and wondering what to put it in (I've already done a 6bt swap into a 77 Chevy short bed). My research led me to crusiers and this forum and I'm pretty excited to get this swap going, especially being able to check out other's build threads and how they dealt with issues along the way. The 80's AWD with viscous coupler sounded cool when I learned about it but I wasn't sure how to mate the 4500 to h2fav. Then I found this thread, gotta say a big thanks to you guys working hard to make this happen. I've been following this thread for a while and finally made an account to express my interest and gratitude. I'm late to the party but it appears things went south with the previous guys (duiser.com or something) and it seems like some others have stepped up to make things happen and I respect it. I know it's early in the production but is there any idea/estimate on what this kit might cost? Don't want you to sell yourself short so if you don't want to say right now I totally get it. Just curious if there's a ball park you're aiming for.

I had one other question for those of you with cummins swaps and I know I should probably start another thread for this but is a 4 inch lift required? I think i've seen some say 3 but most others 4 but figured I'd ask while all of you are here. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks, Steve.

I don’t have all prices in just yet and 100% you will need a 4” lift because the oil pan wants to be where the e-locker is 🤣

After a whole lot of reconsidering, more than I should have for this, I’ve decided on just going Cummins red. It’s anodize so it won’t be exact but it’s red. It could be “redder” if I polished it first but I’m not going to do that. It’s just going to be sandwiched and disappear for a few 100k miles under the truck.

31754644-37CA-4A0E-89BB-6468E33AEED5.jpeg

I don’t have all prices in just yet and 100% you will need a 4” lift because the oil pan wants to be where the e-locker is 🤣

I’d double check this. I did 3” comp springs on mine but with it resting on the bump stops (springs removed) there was still clearance. Not a ton, but I hope to do the next one with a 2.5” lift.

I’d double check this. I did 3” comp springs on mine but with it resting on the bump stops (springs removed) there was still clearance. Not a ton, but I hope to do the next one with a 2.5” lift.

It only took one small jump at the dunes to have a Cummins swap owner realize the e-locker punctured the oil pan. He was towed out. If you plan to wheel it, plan to lift it at least 4”

From that point Losti’s part of this will be complete.

Ouch! As we discussed via PM my goal in posting the CAD for the adapter and shaft dimensions was to give back to the community and make this adapter available after the duiser debacle. I’m happy for you to be part of the solution for this...and maybe I’m misreading what you are saying above...but I plan to continue to support this swap however I can. At the moment that is supplying shafts to you and to anyone else interested in putting a kit together. I also have folks that have been approaching me for plates (and I’m about to start another swap for myself) and have plates for them on the way as well (after I asked you for pricing and couldn’t get any). As we discussed it sounds like you are going to add many other pieces to your kit which is awesome! More power to ya and I’ll continue to help where I can!

However I am a bit miffed as I did ask repeatedly to you via PM that we work together on updating the thread so that we could keep the community informed. You however never replied and I haven’t been able to reach you for days at a time. I’ve been giving you the benefit of the doubt because you are a long term vendor on here, but please don’t abuse that. I posted the CAD that is in almost everyone of your development shots so that the community could benefit from it...please pull through. I know you are making slight changes to profile etc (as I did for the ones I ordered)...but please don’t push others who have put a ton of effort into the development of this swap out. I hope you are super successful in selling your kits. I also plan to stick around and keep supporting other mudders doing the swap as I did above.

Sorta. Depends on what you mean by reverse engineer. A few years ago when I did my first Cummins swap folks were having supply issues with getting these adapters. Through reading on the forum I gathered that duiser was having 2wd nv4500 shafts shortened and resplined. This seemed fairly straightforward so I used the same method to make the shaft. The plate is where the real critical measurements come in. I have never seen nor had one of Dustin’s plates. I bought a couple nv4500’s and hf2a’s and disassembled them. Then I took the tail housing off my trans and took it to a precision measuring company that mapped the location of the dowel pins with respect to the center bore for the shaft on a coordinate measuring machine. This made it possible to get the alignment from the tailhousing of the nv4500 dead on to the input of the HF2A. I then roughed out my first adapter on a manual mill and posted the CAD I used to make that prototype. So yes, we are using the same method certainly, but no it was not ‘my buddy has one of these that I’ll duplicate’. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that nor posting the CAD. The file was created from raw data pulled from a cmm...which seemed fair to share with folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom